Into the Forbidden City Fiction

By Shiba Gunichi, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

Courtesy of the Kolat Informant

Unicorn tale, with the Lion making a small territorial move.

I quite liked it, even with Spooky sneaking a split infinitive into it to keep my former English Teacher instincts on their toes. The interplay between Shono and his mother, in particular, was cool- and Shahai gets name-dropped- and apparently doesn't have a lot of friends among Altansarnai's children...

Edited by Shiba Gunichi

She's their half-sister: that's rarely a calm relationship.

I thought this was a very exciting story! I like the development of Altansarnai and her children. I hope to read more about them!

Shono claiming the right to go back and fight for the village was particularly inspiring and well written. I like how it both obeys his mother while throwing the question back at her, whether what she did was the right thing or the selfish thing.

Very well written imo ~

Edited by Soshi Nimue

Silly as it is, this bit:

"And we should Commission a fifth from the other antler," Altansarnai added. "So that there will be one for Shahai-san."

The last of the peony blossoms fell to the shadowed ground. The keening buzz of the cicadas fell suddenly quiet.

Makes me wonder if Shahai is the Frau Blücher of L5R.

It is thoughtful though - Hey there is a dead thing, lets use it to make a gift for Shahai. She always loves it when we make her gifts of dead things.

21 hours ago, Shiba Gunichi said:

Courtesy of the Kolat Informant

Unicorn tale, with the Lion making a small territorial move.

I quite liked it, even with Spooky sneaking a split infinitive into it to keep my former English Teacher instincts on their toes. The interplay between Shono and his mother, in particular, was cool- and Shahai gets name-dropped- and apparently doesn't have a lot of friends among Altansarnai's children...

Haruko-chaaaaan!!! :wub:

In this reboot, it didn't take that long to Shono have issues with his fath... relative. Altansarnai better not be Kolat. :lol:

I liked this fiction quite a lot. Unicorn bias and all. Family reunion, gaijin practices, Curved Blades II: The Curvening,... Tragedy is in air. Family type.

I think after Shono saw the Matsus especially in the front with Beiona who kinda resembles Sonya the Berserker, and imagined her in kimono welcoming him in the evening like his future wife, he had second thoughts. He probably prefers a Doji or Bayushi.

Edited by Yogo Rye X

I love that we're getting second fictions for many of the important characters--first Toturi, now Altansarnai. I've loved the fictions so far, but in the beginning there we were mostly seeing new plot threads being started, and then just kinda left hanging. Tons of fantasy books start off this way, of course--but I'm happy that now we're starting to get to see some of those threads continued. Now the story feels like it's really starting to get some forward momentum!

Also love the character dynamics going on with the family here. The Unicorn's precarious political situation is making me get really invested in their story right now. They might just be my second-favorite clan right now--hopefully the ponies and mah Dragons stay allies for the foreseeable future! *crosses fingers*

I wonder why Altansarnai wouldn't just explain her reasoning to her son?

Do I misunderstand the standing a champion has in the political structure of the empire? Surely having a champion demoted to housewife is an understandable slight?

6 hours ago, codegnave said:

Do I misunderstand the standing a champion has in the political structure of the empire? Surely having a champion demoted to housewife is an understandable slight?

I think Shono's point is that there would still be a Unicorn Champion- him- and that the slight (which is very much present) could have been endured for the good of the Clan.

I love the Altansarnai we see in the fictions. I wish she and her Unicorn were as awesome in the game.