Expansions?

By Cpt Barbarossa, in Fallout

Do we know if this game will have future expansions, or is it a one-box deal?

I'm pretty sure they will add fallout new Vegas

I don't believe any information about expansions has been leaked/announced/hinted at. If the game sells well and they have ideas for more content maybe there will be an expansion.

This is a FFG/Bethesda collaboration so that likely complicates things a bit. I love Doom (vastly under appreciated IMO), another title from these companies but there hasn't been much talk or indication expansions are coming for it.

3 hours ago, Mottasem1 said:

I'm pretty sure they will add fallout new Vegas

They’ve stated that they don’t intend on producing New Vegas content and given Bethesda’s fallout with Obsidian (pun intended) I don’t foresee that changing anytime soon, unfortunately.

It's a shame about Obsidian. New Vegas was vastly superior to Fallout 3 & 4 when it came to the quests. I'd really like to see NV make it into this and the miniatures game.

4 minutes ago, TechnoGolem said:

It's a shame about Obsidian. New Vegas was vastly superior to Fallout 3 & 4 when it came to the quests. I'd really like to see NV make it into this and the miniatures game.

And I don’t think that helped the relationship since most people, myself included, liked NV more than FO3.

This game really seems well structured for varying levels of expansion content, it'd be criminal if it didn't happen and I hope the licensing deal has already taken expansions into account.

In an interview with the game designer, he was asked this question. The corporate answer at the moment is simply along the lines of no comment.

It'll all depend on sales. It seems to have sold out quickly on the UK online hobbyists but is not even listed on Amazon UK. Things like that might curtail sales. I'm not sure Doom in the end sold that well, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Plenty of stuff to go at:

Fallout 1

Fallout 2

Point Lookout

Fallout New Vegas

Dead Money

Honest Hearts

Old World Blues

Lonesome Road

Nuka World

Plus any new stuff that hasn't been in any video game.

I wish they had made the starting encounter decks a lot bigger so that the bulk of them weren’t gone through every game. That being said I still love it.

5 hours ago, Ziggy0134 said:

I wish they had made the starting encounter decks a lot bigger so that the bulk of them weren’t gone through every game. That being said I still love it.

I wish the encounter decks were big enough that I could remove all the ones that mention Synths when not playing in the Commonwealth.

23 hours ago, Gallanteer said:

In an interview with the game designer, he was asked this question. The corporate answer at the moment is simply along the lines of no comment.

It'll all depend on sales. It seems to have sold out quickly on the UK online hobbyists but is not even listed on Amazon UK. Things like that might curtail sales. I'm not sure Doom in the end sold that well, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Plenty of stuff to go at:

Fallout 1

Fallout 2

Point Lookout

Fallout New Vegas

Dead Money

Honest Hearts

Old World Blues

Lonesome Road

Nuka World

Plus any new stuff that hasn't been in any video game.

Finally available on Amazon UK. My pre order from Magic Madhouse was about £20 cheaper.

The board game feels somewhat dead end ish to me. Would adding more items or perks make it feel significantly bigger? I guess new scenarios and characters, a la Talisman. This game really reminds me of Talisman.

Manchu I disagree. Objectives move and the tiles change the placement of areas each game outside of the few main ones for the story line. I love Talisman but to me this is very different. One minute I am trying to go north then because of what someone else just did I have to refocus and decide to go another way. You have complete control of where to go and the last game we played the last tile was unexplored until only the last two turns. I definitely didn't feel like the game area was too small.

I will saw that moving to the outside tiles is only going to happen if there is a quest out there or a high level encounter area that you really want to do. So most of the action is happening in 80% of the game board in my experience.

Talisman is roll and move, this allows you to move where you want to with purpose. Huge difference in my mind.

I do think Runebound is a reasonable companion.

I wish:

- New character (Synt);

- N ew scenario - point lockout - and many new side quest

- Better agenda card system

Edited by MrClock
On 19-1-2018 at 2:44 PM, MrClock said:

I wish:

- New character (Synt);

- N ew scenario - point lockout - and many new side quest

- Better agenda card system

I agree with the synth character. Apart from one late-game scenario, it is impossible for you to become a synth. And there are plenty of missions with synth-options. Much more than Super Mutant options (SM options are criminally underused imo).

And I also agree on the agenda system. Too much is focused on the factions and not enough on other conditions. Our group ignores these cards unless they really want to join that faction. For example; if you want to play a villainous character you don't side with the Slaves in The Pitt scenario. So we pretty much ignore the faction agenda cards, or swap them out if we get a fifth card. But we've had four-player games with everyone carrying the max amount of agenda cards and all of them being faction related. A shame...

Edited by JoerivR
Removed profanity

It does kinda seem designed for expansions, given its modular nature. I was thinking about this yesterday though - there are cards that reference specific tiles that are amongst the randomly dealt ones. If you added expansions that enlarged the deck of one-sides cards without expanding the playing area you'd end up with quest options you couldn't complete.

4 hours ago, mazz0 said:

It does kinda seem designed for expansions, given its modular nature. I was thinking about this yesterday though - there are cards that reference specific tiles that are amongst the randomly dealt ones. If you added expansions that enlarged the deck of one-sides cards without expanding the playing area you'd end up with quest options you couldn't complete.

If you added a bunch of one-sided terrain tiles, you'd also need to add a new set of encounter cards that used those locations.

There is a problem with just adding encounter cards to the deck, like what Eldritch Horror did. In some cases, an encounter card is added that is part of a quest chain but that particular card has an option to ignore the questline and do something else (like shopping or looting). In this case, the card is moved to the bottom of the deck to be found later one. Because of this, if you expand the size of the encounter decks too much beyond eight cards, these quest will cease to function properly. That's why I think you'll see wholesale replacements of the encounter decks rather than additions to it.

1 hour ago, Hedgehobbit said:

If you added a bunch of one-sided terrain tiles, you'd also need to add a new set of encounter cards that used those locations.

There is a problem with just adding encounter cards to the deck, like what Eldritch Horror did. In some cases, an encounter card is added that is part of a quest chain but that particular card has an option to ignore the questline and do something else (like shopping or looting). In this case, the card is moved to the bottom of the deck to be found later one. Because of this, if you expand the size of the encounter decks too much beyond eight cards, these quest will cease to function properly. That's why I think you'll see wholesale replacements of the encounter decks rather than additions to it.

I thought added cards went to the top of the deck (shuffled into the top n cards in the deck where n is the number of players)? When do they go on the bottom?

1 hour ago, mazz0 said:

I thought added cards went to the top of the deck (shuffled into the top n cards in the deck where n is the number of players)? When do they go on the bottom?

You do. I'm talking about cards like that one starting encounter where you find the picture. After that, you Add card 005 which, when it turns up, lets you either talk to Margret or ignore her. If one player ignores her, the card is put on the bottom of the deck. So, if another player wanted to finish that questline, they'd now have to wait for 8 more encounters to find her again. But if the encounter deck is much larger, it will take proportionately longer to find her again.

5 minutes ago, Hedgehobbit said:

You do. I'm talking about cards like that one starting encounter where you find the picture. After that, you Add card 005 which, when it turns up, lets you either talk to Margret or ignore her. If one player ignores her, the card is put on the bottom of the deck. So, if another player wanted to finish that questline, they'd now have to wait for 8 more encounters to find her again. But if the encounter deck is much larger, it will take proportionately longer to find her again.

Ah, gotcha. That would be solved by just choosing x number of the cards you own to be in the deck at the start of the game. Or I suppose you can say cards don’t go to the bottom, but x number of cards down, but that would be fussier.

Normally, I would say "don't hold your breath" for expansions for a game based off of 3rd party IPs because they tend to get sticky when it comes to the contracts and stuff but then I remember that they had decent roll outs with their GW games and expansions. So color me hopeful!