Considering for Casual

By Boba Rick, in Android: Netrunner The Card Game

I'm considering getting this for the first time but really only playing it casually with family and friends. So I have a some questions if you don't mind:

1) Is it family-friendly?

2) Are the concepts too abstract for kids to understand? I have a 10 and 11 year old.

3) Is the depth of this game so much that it's hard to play with others that don't own it?

4) Is a single core in of itself a rewarding experience, or do you need to just go out and buy more immediately like SW Destiny?

Thanks.

1) it has some complex themes and overall complex themes, butthere's nothing objectionable in terms of language or sexual content. Rated PG.

2) I think they could probably pick up on it fairly well. Hackers vs Corporations is pretty straightforward, and the blanket concepts of "Assets" "Upgrades" "Ice" "Programs" "Resources" "Hardware" can sometimes have abstruse manifestations but overall are not all that bizarre.

3)There is definitely a learning curve, and it's a game that rewards skill, card knowledge, and experience.

4) for the level of what you're talking about, one core set will be sufficient. It's clearly designed to incentivize additional card purchases, so you might start to feel some deckbuilding constraints once you're ready to start experimenting with deckbuilding, but for learning the game and casual play it is fine out of the box.

One caveat though--the existing Core Set is about to rotate out and be replaced with a Revised Core Set which should hit stores in a few weeks. Wait for the Revised version, it's better.

Thanks!

It was refreshing to find a friendly and honest reply to a question on this forum.

5) the differing deck and hand terminology for either side is probably the hardest thing to get used to.

You could enjoy this as a single core game without ever buying another Netrunner product and be pretty happy, depending on how often you play it.