Slightly disappointed in the new Core's contents

By Krashwire, in Android: Netrunner The Card Game

Really quite bummed that they didn't just follow the model they used for the L5R core. The large amount of waste in the 3rd core just bugs me. It's not that big a deal but its just irksome.

Because it’s a design requirement that you should be able to build functional decks with one core set, and you can’t do that with predominately 1x cards. Netrunner operates differently than other card games—in Thrones or L5R, you just need bodies on the board, but in Netrunner if you can’t find a relevant Icebreaker in your 45-card deck you could just lose immediately.

i feel you, but the fact is ADN049 is a ***vast*** improvement over ADN001. If you bought a third core originally, you got a third copy of 11 cards. Now, you get 43. It’s still diminishing returns, but a lot less waste than there used to be.

Is there a new edition of the rule book? I'm not seeing one on the main page.

There is a Learn To Play book in the box, with a Rules Reference Guide to be published as a free PDF. As of this moment it’s not posted yet.

On 17-11-2017 at 7:02 AM, Krashwire said:

The large amount of waste in the 3rd core just bugs me. It's not that big a deal but its just irksome.

Easy enough to solve.

Is the core enough to make two legal decks? I'm kind of swapped on games at the moment but I wouldn't mind owning a copy of Netrunner just to try out... (famous last words) At the very least, I could live have a card game in a box with slight options for customization.

On 12/17/2017 at 6:12 PM, Hordeoverseer said:

Is the core enough to make two legal decks? I'm kind of swapped on games at the moment but I wouldn't mind owning a copy of Netrunner just to try out... (famous last words) At the very least, I could live have a card game in a box with slight options for customization.

Yes, there are enough cards to make two full decks. Swapping out the cards allows you to play all 3 runner faction decks and all 4 corp decks. They have neutral cards shared between the decks and you can import a small number of cards from other factions into a deck as well so you can have two full decks to play against each other at one time but those two decks can vary drastically. Just note a single core will play great against itself but will get rolled over by a top deck with all cards available to it. A great way for kitchen table type games is to get a core and Terminal Directive and play the campaign. There is a little story that goes along with the campaign that introduces you to the fiction story part of netrunner. Terminal Directive is also a great way to get a huge boost of cards over just what is in the core set.

This sounds good, thanks. I'm not looking to be competitive but just being able to experience Netrunner from the kitchen, yet getting the legitimate experience at the same time, avoiding playing demo-sized decks. I have already two LCGs I'm upkeeping. I would be interested to play Netrunner, but not compete.