Splash for Crane?

By Hos, in L5R LCG: Deck Building

hi all, wondering what cards would be good value to splash into a Crane deck. Dragon Let Go, Unicorn Spyglass,...?

My local meta is mostly Lion, Crab, Dragon and odd Scorpion.

Dragon's Miro Fury good at bowing other Dragons, Crab, and probably Scorpion. Low glory targets.

I splash lion atm but if the local meta goes pheonix I will go pheonix to ensure when the pheonix tries to do all their ring shenanigans I can display of power to get up to 3 ring effects

For Crane, I would go Phoenix for your preferred mix of Display of Power and Seeker of Knowledge (for Ring of Air honor gain) or Pacifism and Magnificent Kimono (for even more Political superiority).

For addition I'm running 3x ready for battle and 3x stand your ground

The counter to bowing is really useful and with stand your ground I've had a savvy politician stick around with 0 fate on her for 3 turns and honour something every turn which has proved to be a little rediculous

Crane plays a strong aggressive game, but it doesn't have natural tools for Voltron or resource gain. Personally, I like breaking provinces with Crane since they are easily able to threaten both political and military. I also think the crane 2 cost slot is too good to want to play Miya mystics, so an answer to big attachments is a good thing to have without being required due to Noble Sacrifice as a partial answer.

The 2 clans with attachment removal are high up as splashes, Dragon and Scorpion.

If you splash Scorpion, I splash in 2 or 3 calling in favors and the remaining slots go to Unassuming Yojimbo. The Yojimbo is effective resource gain and enemy resource denial because, like political rival, you can pass a turn earlier in the dynasty phase to take the Fate. Rivals+Yojimbos give you a ton of covert to break provinces. Scorpion also let's you bluff Forged Edict and I can swim.

Dragon is obvious. Let go is excellent. Mirumoto's let's you save your characters for offense. Tattooed Wanderer is an additional body in the early game to force through a military break or covert in the late game to finish the stronghold.

I also like Unicorn for a splash. The Iuchi Wayfinder offers another 1 cost conflict character and ensures you don't hit a tempo check province or shameful display. Spyglass is strong with Doji Representative and favored ground. You already play favored ground to combo with guest of honor. Favored mount again combos with Guest of Honor and Spyglass. Favored mount can also help you force through offense by commiting an extra character after the fact if you got hit by a tempo check.

I think I like Unicorn best, but Dragon is probably generally strongest, and Scorpion puts the fear in people.

Edited by Queaux

I like Scorpion for 3x Poison and 2x Forged Edict.

I think there are a lot of great splashes for Crane. With the Seeker role they could be a little more aggressive with a Crab splash to bring in Pathfinders Blade. Combined with Cautious Scout you can make sure you turn off your opponents provinces.

Edited by Ishi Tonu

Dragon: Tattoo'd Monkx3 Let Gox2 (You don't need to tap down attackers, they're dead cards, Lion is what kills you and RFB makes Fury useless)

Lion: Vengeful Oathkeeperx3, Kamayari x2 (RFB is a waste with Voice of Honor and Censure)

Unicorn: Iuchi Wayfinder x3, Spyglass x3

Scorpion has a bunch, but I don't like forged edicts. You need an honored board state to win games and edict ruins your board state. Plus Censure exists now, so unless you want to run 9 Counterspells, cross it off the list.

Phoenix: Tons and Tons and Tons of good stuff. Kimonox3, plus whatever toolkit you want to build.

Crab: Not a fan.