How does this differ from GMT's Napoleonics?

By Whitmire, in Battles of Napoleon

GMT Games is releasing Commands & Colors: Napoleonics this year. What are the major differences between FFG's Battles of Napoleon and C&C:N considering that they are both based on the same system (the Commands & Colors system)? Does anybody have any insider knowledge to either one or both of these games?

I'm going to buy at least one of these games, so I'd sure want to know what I'm getting. Of course I'm drawn to FFG's miniatures and fancy cards, but then GMT has done some quality games over the years despite their crude appearance (I own the entire C&C: Ancients line).

I wonder if these two companies are now ready to jump at each other with flashing bayonets, since they're stepping into the same market niche at the same time... I don't think I've ever seen two product launches that overlap each other so obviously in the board game market.

I haven't read anything here at FFG or at Nexus Games, including the rules, that indicates FFG's upcoming Napoleon game is based on the Command And Colors system. If FFG's game is I'd like to hear more about it...

I've been reading the rules to FFG's Battles of Napoleon. Other than units being made up of multiple figures or the passing of orders from commanders to units, I can't see any similarity at all to the C & C system. It's much more similar to Tide of Iron, in my thinking, a kind of Tide of Napoleonic Iron.

David Spangler said:

It's much more similar to Tide of Iron, in my thinking, a kind of Tide of Napoleonic Iron.

Or tide of ironic Napoleon? :)

Edit - Silly mistake by me, easier to get the rules for this one ( http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/battles-of-napoleon/minisite/battles-of-napoleon-rules.pdf ) than use the link I was going to mention, since it only gives them in a Flash 'readable on-screen only' version!

Whilst both look more 'stylised' rather than 'tactical simulation', the GMT one looks to be muchmore abstracted, as with most of the C&C games, whereas this looks to add more touches to get a more distinctly Napoleonic feel for the battle. Sadly for my bank balance, I'll almost certainly end up getting both at some point when I can raise enough cash!

Thanks for the replies. I'm anticipating this game to be more into my liking, to be frank.

While I love GMT's C&C: Ancients, I've still to discover what is that novel thing that Napoleonics offers me and why I should be interested. Looking at FFG's Battles of Napoleon, I can easily spot the multitude of interesting things that I need to get excited about a product. The miniatures and the artwork are just fabulous.

The Tide of Iron reference is not very much to my liking, however. I have had ToI for a long time, and I've been put off by the scenario design. I hope this game will deliver more balanced scenarios and more fun than ToI, which seems quite unwieldy (or then it's just the scenarios). I'm considering selling my ToI + expansion and buying this game.

Considering that the first Battles of Napoleon have already arrived (at least some Board Game Geeks are saying so!) I'm awaiting reviews about this game with great anticipation. I know I'm going to buy this and/or Battles of Westeros, and at the moment Westeros is looking pretty cool for a rehash of Days of Wonder's simplified "commands and colours" games.