[Custom] Scout Trooper

By Phoenix_FFG, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

Imperial Assault Deployment Card Editor, Credit: @Bitterman

Please critique, advise or make suggestions for these Scout Trooper deployment cards.

Version 1.0

23517666_1477135889073472_88744285086506 23518945_1477135822406812_87078795095606

Version 2.0

23795388_1484971514956576_27809246028529 23722235_1484971464956581_91292367069481

Version 2.1

24296303_1498051180315276_59243910129781 24862261_1498051360315258_6704848118334477027_n.jpg?oh=0b6b70217388809f4fb5f39bfc413f53&oe=5A99B048

Version 2.2

24909538_1504054146381646_51543175265994 24909799_1504054109714983_23533544032675

Edited by Phoenix_FFG
Updated with Version 2.2 Cards
5 minutes ago, Phoenix_FFG said:

Imperial Assault Deployment Card Editor, Credit: @Bitterman

Please critique, advise or make suggestions for these Scout Trooper deployment cards.

23517666_1477135889073472_88744285086506 23518945_1477135822406812_87078795095606

I don't know. I feel like Jet troopers do the same thing with better defense and fly-by is pretty darn good.

I'd give them Prowl, like the Weequays have. If you really wanted to make the elites special, you could also give them Slippery. -4 accuracy while attacking them would make them very unique, at least.

have you considered giving them a yellow/green or yellow/blue dice pool, in the film they were observed using pistols mainly (and yes I know they can use rifles and sniper weapons in their 'real' role - perhaps give them a special action attack that made it look like they are using a rifle/sniper but cannot use surges or have something else negative keeping in mind their cost)?

really you've made something the same stats and price as a stormtrooper but added in a movement bonus worth 1 point but not accounted for it in the costing of the unit.

IE I think these would make stormtroopers redundant when really you want them to compliment stormies or be a cheaper weaker alternative.

Edited by Collins
8 hours ago, theaficionado said:

I'd give them Prowl, like the Weequays have. If you really wanted to make the elites special, you could also give them Slippery. -4 accuracy while attacking them would make them very unique, at least.

-4 accuracy? that seems excessive! I'm stood right next to you but can't hit you with my rifle? you're even wearing white armour so everyone can see you!

1 hour ago, Collins said:

have you considered giving them a yellow/green or yellow/blue dice pool, in the film they were observed using pistols mainly (and yes I know they can use rifles and sniper weapons in their 'real' role - perhaps give them a special action attack that made it look like they are using a rifle/sniper but cannot use surges or have something else negative keeping in mind their cost)?

really you've made something the same stats and price as a stormtrooper but added in a movement bonus worth 1 point but not accounted for it in the costing of the unit.

IE I think these would make stormtroopers redundant when really you want them to compliment stormies or be a cheaper weaker alternative.

Twin Shadows spoiler

Yeah, like the special "double action" of the Tusken raiders in Canyon run side mission. They can roll 2 blue dice and ignore blocking terrains and walls as long as they have the accuracy. Or less drastically, like their "Tusken cycler" special action on their deployment card.

I like @IanSolo_FFG 's idea, but

(TS Spoilers)

Those Tusken Raiders were, thematically, up on a ridge, so it makes sense. If this would be an action that they could do anywhere, it might be a bit more odd. For instance, consider a map with a large indoor and outdoor section- could the sniper still be able to hit anyone on the map? It could work for some smaller maps, but some would be kinda unreasonable.

Otherwise, I really do like that idea- very unique for sniper units!

20 hours ago, TallGiraffe said:

I don't know. I feel like Jet troopers do the same thing with better defense and fly-by is pretty darn good.

I modelled these guys from the Stormtrooper cards, and took the other Stormtroopers into account. I love Jet Troopers. But these guys would fill the roll of slippery troopers moving about that still can't move over blocking terrain, etc. Is there something I could be to make them more different to Jet Troopers?

15 hours ago, theaficionado said:

Would you believe they originally had Hide , but I felt hiding after shooting didn't suit them, so they did have Prowl which I felt was good as they had to use an action, but then it wouldn't suit what I wanted to do with some other Scouts (more on that later).

6 hours ago, Collins said:

It has been very painful trying to figure what dice to give them. Take away blue, suddenly they don't shoot as far as normal Stormtroopers, etc. I originally had green/green. I definitely would love more input on the dice. :)

---

Modelling them on the Stormtroopers, I took away Squad Training and Last Stand , and took away their black die for defense (to represent more squishiness but with the occasional 1 in 6 chance of simply slipping away with the Dodge). I even made them deployed as a group of 2, so in Campaign they are harder to reinforce than Stormtroopers. Then I added in the other abilities. I was hoping they'd be balanced or even overcosted.

5 hours ago, IanSolo_FFG said:

Twin Shadows spoiler

Yeah, like the special "double action" of the Tusken raiders in Canyon run side mission. They can roll 2 blue dice and ignore blocking terrains and walls as long as they have the accuracy. Or less drastically, like their "Tusken cycler" special action on their deployment card.

4 hours ago, subtrendy2 said:

(TS Spoilers)

Those Tusken Raiders were, thematically, up on a ridge, so it makes sense. If this would be an action that they could do anywhere, it might be a bit more odd. For instance, consider a map with a large indoor and outdoor section- could the sniper still be able to hit anyone on the map? It could work for some smaller maps, but some would be kinda unreasonable.

Whoah, slow down, Team! I love your ideas on the sniper. :P I've made a special Scout to take care of that, but want to knock these normal Scouts around a bit before we get on to those. I've even made Biker Scouts that I think will work well in the IA system, but again, after these initial Scouts. :) I was playing with the idea of him only being allowed to be deployed if there is a normal Scout Trooper squad already on the board or being deployed at the same time. Anyways, here he is, but I'm working on the initial Scout Troopers first. Haha. :)

23473054_1477844305669297_80979029170108

Edited by Phoenix_FFG

@Phoenix_FFG

what is is the reason for making these other than thematic?

9 hours ago, Phoenix_FFG said:

Whoah, slow down, Team! I love your ideas on the sniper. :P I've made a special Scout to take care of that, but want to knock these normal Scouts around a bit before we get on to those. I've even made Biker Scouts that I think will work well in the IA system, but again, after these initial Scouts. :) I was playing with the idea of him only being allowed to be deployed if there is a normal Scout Trooper squad already on the board or being deployed at the same time. Anyways, here he is, but I'm working on the initial Scout Troopers first. Haha. :)

Awesome Cards!

Please Consider the Thermal Detonator ability for the Biker Scouts.

That feature was in the Empire at War game made by Petrogliph

Something like this:

->-> You gain 7 movement point. After your movement you may chose 1 space where you have been during this turn.

Then Roll 1 green die. Each figure on or adjacent to that space suffers X equal to the X resoults+1 and <~> equal to the ~ resoults

Of course its just an idea and pls fell free to correct my grammar mistakes :)

18 hours ago, subtrendy2 said:

(TS Spoilers)

Yes that's true. For a moment I considered suggesting the habitat : Forest restriction to scout troopers. It would have allowed for the idea discussed in the spoiler tag above. But then I realized that the snowtroopers could be deployed on Tatooine since FFG did not restrict them to boards with snow tiles, so why do the same with scout troopers? It's not because we mainly see them on the forest moon of Endor that they can't scout other planets (and there was many of them on DSII to greet the Emperor). Snowtrooper is a little bit more difficult to explain since to me they are specialized troops. According to their name, they are most likely going to be deployed on cold weather battlefields. Unless the rebels are investigating an imperial base on a icy planet (the mission briefing could point to that), I don't tend to use snowtroopers outside of board that includes snow tiles.

14 hours ago, Phoenix_FFG said:

23473054_1477844305669297_80979029170108

Since you brought that sniper scout trooper, I'll take the opportunity to say that I like the double action "Scout Sniper Shot". Instead of a built in +1 damage +2 accuracy and Pierce 1, I would instead make the attack pool be Blue-Blue-Green for the double action. The second blue die will give you your +2 accuracy (at the very least) and maybe even more.

On 15/11/2017 at 11:04 AM, TallGiraffe said:

@Phoenix_FFG

what is is the reason for making these other than thematic?

Originally, the reason came from a 'who's missing from Imperial Assault' thought I had. Then I thought, 'wouldn't it be great to have a Scout Trooper or two on the periphery operating at distance from some Stormtroopers.' Then, I began to get the idea to create a campaign, and thought 'what would be the Imperial figures to come with that campaign. '

---

16 hours ago, Ace_of_Spades said:

Awesome Cards!

Please Consider the Thermal Detonator ability for the Biker Scouts.

That feature was in the Empire at War game made by Petrogliph

Something like this:

->-> You gain 7 movement point. After your movement you may chose 1 space where you have been during this turn.

Then Roll 1 green die. Each figure on or adjacent to that space suffers X equal to the X resoults+1 and <~> equal to the ~ resoults

Of course its just an idea and pls fell free to correct my grammar mistakes :)

That is an amazing idea! Boom! So far the Scout Trooper Biker has the Efficient Travel and Elusive abilities of the normal Scout Troopers, but with a double-action to gain a significant number of movement points to accelerate around the game board. I'm still trying to come up with an idea to represent the bike's blaster cannon without making the E-web Engineer obsolete.

---

11 hours ago, IanSolo_FFG said:

Since you brought that sniper scout trooper, I'll take the opportunity to say that I like the double action "Scout Sniper Shot". Instead of a built in +1 damage +2 accuracy and Pierce 1, I would instead make the attack pool be Blue-Blue-Green for the double action. The second blue die will give you your +2 accuracy (at the very least) and maybe even more.

Hmmm, you're on to something here. I created the Scout Sniper Shot from existing abilities in the game, like Loku's (among others), and still was unhappy with it. Involving the extra die brings in the potential for extra but still keep it (mostly) random.

---

Some terrain thoughts:

With regards to a terrain limitation, that's definitely a no for the Scout Trooper. Yes, in Return of the Jedi they are seen in a forest, but they are not exclusively deployed to a particular terrain. The idea for them here is that they would be a lighter-defense and potentially quicker trooper than their heavier shootier Stormtrooper counterparts. Tusken Raiders definitely had a strong terrain theme for being native to Tatooine and the deserts, only leaving to make raids on settlements, and they were not found on other worlds.

I believe there was a hot / magma / hostile environment variation of Stormtrooper that essentially looks like a Snowtrooper. To get around the oddness of Snowtroopers being deployed to non-snow terrain, think of them as an extreme environment trooper if you need them deployed to some other inhospitable environment.

What role do these troopers fill?

20 hours ago, TallGiraffe said:

What role do these troopers fill?

Having fun. Also, offering the Imperial Player some (slightly) quicker 4 point deployment troopers earlier in a campaign and some elusive movers for skirmish. But mostly just fun.

Swap the attack to blue yellow. Give the accuracy surges pierce.

New ability

scout shot: while attacking from 4 or more spaces away, you may replace a yellow dice for a blue. This attack gains piece 1.

2 minutes ago, TallGiraffe said:

Swap the attack to blue yellow. Give the accuracy surges pierce.

New ability

scout shot: while attacking from 4 or more spaces away, you may replace a yellow dice for a blue. This attack gains piece 1.

I've changed the dice to blue / yellow from some of the advice above.

I'm a bit worried I'm getting lost as to which deployment card you are referring to, sorry. With your post above, is that regarding the Scout Trooper or the Scout Trooper Sniper?

5 minutes ago, Phoenix_FFG said:

I've changed the dice to blue / yellow from some of the advice above.

I'm a bit worried I'm getting lost as to which deployment card you are referring to, sorry. With your post above, is that regarding the Scout Trooper or the Scout Trooper Sniper?

Just the regular Scouts.

I've updated the elite Scout Troopers to incorporate the sniper shot, calling it Long Range Shot and removing the separate Scout Sniper Trooper from existence altogether, and raised their points. Scout Troopers are both now with blue / yellow attack dice instead of blue / green. Original Post updated.

What do you all think?

@a1bert , I'd especially like to know your thoughts on the wording of Long Range Shot. :)

Version 2.0

23795388_1484971514956576_27809246028529 23722235_1484971464956581_91292367069481

44 minutes ago, Phoenix_FFG said:

@a1bert , I'd especially like to know your thoughts on the wording of Long Range Shot. :)

Version 2.0

23722235_1484971464956581_91292367069481

Long Range Shot seems fine as it is, but "Perform an attack targeting a figure 4 or more spaces away. Add 1 blue die to the attack pool. This attack gains pierce 1." Attack pool gets recreated for each attack, so "Add 1 blue.." in a separate sentence should be ok as part of an ability with a cost, and there's not a better wording to be more explicit.

On 22/11/2017 at 10:04 PM, a1bert said:

Long Range Shot seems fine as it is, but "Perform an attack targeting a figure 4 or more spaces away. Add 1 blue die to the attack pool. This attack gains pierce 1." Attack pool gets recreated for each attack, so "Add 1 blue.." in a separate sentence should be ok as part of an ability with a cost, and there's not a better wording to be more explicit.

Thanks! I was hoping I was close on. Updated!

23755426_1486421054811622_73129396995826

I used these existing cards, among many others that had great wording, as the basis:

Loku%20Kanoloa_275_thumb_ffflogog_whater Mak%20Eshkarey_275_thumb_ffflogog_whater

I might make it so that they don't need to spend 2 actions to use the ability and you got a pretty decent unit there for the Elite variant. Not sure on the regular.

Make them 4 health and 3 speed. Also give them GG attack since theyre using pistols.

~D

Throwing this option out there for feedback. Using inspiration from the Alliance Ranger , this could be an alternative to making a long range shot possible without turning them into dedicated snipers. Also removed Efficient Travel and Elusive .

24296303_1498051180315276_59243910129781 24862261_1498051360315258_67048481183344

48 minutes ago, Phoenix_FFG said:

Throwing this option out there for feedback. Using inspiration from the Alliance Ranger , this could be an alternative to making a long range shot possible without turning them into dedicated snipers. Also removed Efficient Travel and Elusive .

Nice idea, but it's a bit different for Rangers

Rangers have auto +1 acc and rolls 2 blue, which means the minimum range they'll get is 5, hence the "5 or more space you may reroll" bonus. With a BY and requiring surge for acc there isn't really any incentive to be 5 or more spaces away: your minimum range is only 2 and there's a high % you'd miss if you want the 5+ space away reroll bonus

On 05/12/2017 at 0:56 PM, ricope said:

Nice idea, but it's a bit different for Rangers

Rangers have auto +1 acc and rolls 2 blue, which means the minimum range they'll get is 5, hence the "5 or more space you may reroll" bonus. With a BY and requiring surge for acc there isn't really any incentive to be 5 or more spaces away: your minimum range is only 2 and there's a high % you'd miss if you want the 5+ space away reroll bonus

You are absolutely right. I need to find a way to make this work...