Breakthrough

By RafaelNN, in L5R LCG: Rules Discussion

My group and I have a question about how breakthrough works. If I declare a conflict with some characters, win and break, and then play breakthrough, do:

a) Those characters return home bowed (and new ones have to be declared as the new attackers)?

b) Those characters are the ones used in the new attack (and so do not return home unless some - stat forces them to)?

c) Those characters are the ones used BUT new characters from home can be declared as attackers as well?

No one in my group -nor I- believe C is possible, but it was suggested nonetheless, so I ask. Most of the group is divided between options A and B.

A, all characters in a conflict bow at the end unless certain specific fate cards prevent it.

The only occasion I'm aware of that conflict resolution is mentioned (aside from this ability) is the timing framework in the rules reference. The conflict resolution framework includes steps 3.2 - 3.2.8, which is when participating characters are sent home bowed. Given that the ability states it triggers after resolution, I would assume that is the point when breakthrough is played, which is reinforced by the fact that the effect specifies you are declaring your 2nd conflict (and it specifies 2nd conflict rather than simply another conflict).

I agree with Zesu, Conflict Resolution is steps 3.2 - 3.2.8, so the reaction "after" would occur after 3.2.8, meaning participating characters would have already returned home bowed.

The characters in the conflict return home bowed. Then you play breakthrough and skip the "pre-conflict" action window.

'Breakthrough' triggering condition references the 'resolution' of your first conflict. There's nothing in the framework steps that defines the exact 'resolution' of the conflict. Is it the last step in the 'Conflict Resolution' (step 3.2.8), or is the resolution the end of the conflict (step 3.3)?

Breakthrough triggers when the conflict finishes resolving. I think this is clear enough, but if I get questions about it I’ll add a line to step 3.3. - Tyler Parrott 11/17/17