Decision between 2 Latari lists

By Glyph, in Runewars List Building

Hey guys!

I'd like to get your opinions on these two lists I've made. I don't know which to pick...my opponent will be playing Waiqar.

LIST A
Aliana of Summersong
[33]
--Artifact: Packleader's Spear [8]
--Unique: Ambush Predator [3]
----------Total Unit Cost: 44

Maegan Cyndewin [36]
--Artifact: Malcorne's Bequest [6]
--Unique: Martial Magic [3]
----------Total Unit Cost: 45

Deepwood Archers x2 [17]
--Equipment: Fire Rune [7]
--Tactic: Hunter's Guile [4]
----------Total Unit Cost: 28

Deepwood Archers x2 [17]

Leonx Riders x2 [17]
--Tactic: Moment of Inspiration [5]
--Music: Metered March [2]
----------Total Unit Cost: 25

Leonx Riders x2 [17]
----------Total Unit Cost: 25

----------Total: 195

LIST B
Aliana of Summersong
[33]
--Artifact: Packleader's Spear [8]
--Unique: Ambush Predator [3]
----------Total Unit Cost: 44

Aymhelin Scions x1 [14]
--Unique: Vicious Roots [2]
----------Total Unit Cost: 16

Aymhelin Scions x1 [14]

Aymhelin Scions x1 [14]

Deepwood Archers x2 [17]

Deepwood Archers x2 [17]

Leonx Riders x4 [30]
--Champion: Maegan Cyndewin [10]
--Heraldry: Raven Tabards [2]
----------Total Unit Cost: 49

----------Total: 197

What do you guys think? The red or blue list?

My vote is Blue.

You have two units with fire runes, you want that bequest to get good return on that investment.

One thing is the hunters guile, I haven't played it much so perhaps your expierence is different, but it doesn't seem worth. I'd rather fit in the dreamweaver sorceress for more stun or verdant to get rid of blight (though this does throw off your fire Rune action)

1 hour ago, Xquer said:

My vote is Blue.

You have two units with fire runes, you want that bequest to get good return on that investment.

One thing is the hunters guile, I haven't played it much so perhaps your expierence is different, but it doesn't seem worth. I'd rather fit in the dreamweaver sorceress for more stun or verdant to get rid of blight (though this does throw off your fire Rune action)

I could also remove one Leonx Rider unit and Metered March from the other from the Blue List and put in 2 Scions with Vicious Roots. What do you think?

Edited by Glyph

Either I think are good options, they play differwntly i think so consider how you prefer to approach.

Like to wait and have them come to you? Go scions. Like pouncing and bursting for nice dmg, leonx.

Personally, I would pick the leonx since the added maneuverability makes them harder to predict and my opponent likes to play lancers which I think can counter better with leonx than scions.

I would run the red list if you haven't tried running a lot of units yet. It's pretty powerful getting all these flanks on the enemy. Also let us know how Fire Rune + Hunters Guile works for you. Curious to see.

Hey guys!

Sorry for taking so long to reply, but real life tends to keep one busy!

So I lost the game...HARD. The opponent played an army comprising of 2 Death Knight units, 1 Carion Lancer unit, 1 Archer unit, Erebus, and a unit or Reanimates. They were all small (2 trays, 1, 2, and 1 respectively) and naked except for the Reanimates that was 12 trays big and decked out with as many upgrades as possible.

I was first player so I got to pick either the scenario or the deployment. I saw that one of the scenarios (forget the name) would put my opponent in a near-unbeatable advantage (each player puts an objective on a unit and you get that objective token if you destroy the unit...he would've put it on his huge unit of Reanimates). To that end I decided to pick objectives to deny him the chance to pick it and at least have a CHANCE at winning the game. I chose Bounty instead. He chose Long Canyon as deployment (long deployment with a range 5 deployment zone band, range 3 from the short table edge). We ended up getting only 2 small pieces of terrain, rocky outcrop and Latari Monument.

Regarding Hunter's Guile....it was fantastic. I put the overgrowth token on the terrain piece I put a hair's breath away from my deployment zone and the entire time my Archers would sit by it and shoot and use the Fire Rune. I was getting lucky with the white die when using the Fire Rune, rolling double hit 3 times in a row...one of which on a turn I had 4 Unstable runes out, dealing 8 damage to the unit of Black Knights and removing 2 straight off the bat. Fire Rune is an expensive but great equipment card to have on the Archers with their White Skill action on the modifier dial. You can do a blue 1-speed shift and fire the Rune...or if you really want to lay on the hurt, do a shooting attack at Initiative 5 and also fire the Fire Rune.

In general, the big problem I'm facing is that I've got too little points for what I want to take. I'd like to take the 2 heroes, a pair of 2x1 units of Archers, a big block of Riders, a pair of Scions, and a large block of Darnati...but it's too many things for a 200pt list ESPECIALLY if you want to start adding upgrades to units. I'm going to have to learn to play units naked to get more things on the table, which pains me quite a bit as a former player of 40k armies that are smaller but more elite (such as Tau) and thus have a few small units with lots of upgrades. My opponent's army was twice the size of mine...

It sounds like you were in a pretty good position. Where did things go wrong? Did Aliana get a good amvis attack in?

Speaking of Aliana, you mentioned the Bounty objective, and I think Aliana is a strong choice. Did you end up playing Bounty or not? I was a little confused.

1 hour ago, Parakitor said:

It sounds like you were in a pretty good position. Where did things go wrong? Did Aliana get a good amvis attack in?

Speaking of Aliana, you mentioned the Bounty objective, and I think Aliana is a strong choice. Did you end up playing Bounty or not? I was a little confused.

I ended up playing Bounty, yes, but he ended up destroying all my MSU units and I lost the game badly. I just couldn't keep my things alive or do enough damage to get his tokens....

Thanks for the post. I'm new to the game, having played my first game yesterday (though not exactly new to strategy games or to FFG games). I ran a list very similar to what you're doing above. I'm also working on what I'd like to play next.

So the list from last night:

I ran a 2x2 Leonix with Alania and Moment of Inspiration, which amounted to two attacks with 2 white dice, some modification from the rerolls in the back rank.

2 2x1 Archers, with Storm Sorceresss. These guys did what they needed to do.

Maegan/but with Malcornes and Arcane Mastery. I didn't feel like Arcane Mastery triggered the way I'd like, but then I realized I pretty much ran Maegan wrong the whole game, but that's a learning experience for you. Also, Martial Magic would have been extremely useful at a couple of points, especially since she does want to charge at some point.

2x 1x1 Scions with Vicious roots

1x 2x1 Scions with Fertile Soil and Pathwalkers Amulet. I couldn't get the amulet to go off, but I did get the Fertile Soil to trigger once, it just proved inconsequential. Both of these upgrades strike me as more useful on the 6 block.

You mention wanting to take both heroes, a big block of riders, a pair of Scions, and a large block of Darnati, but it being too many points. After playing the game and taking a better look at the mechanics, I revised slightly to the following, which may prove helpful to you. It is remarkably close to your B list.

Big Block of Riders: 6 block of Leonix Riders, Alania, Raven Tabards, Metered March, Column Tactics: Column Tactics in particular I'm interested in trying out. I give up Moment of Inspiration, which probably still could be very good on the block, but Column creates the threat that you need out of your long column of Leonix. It is also cheaper and doesn't require the exhaust. I'll have to play around with the Raven Tabards, but I like the idea of shifting the initiative downward since it gives you more flexibility for getting the jump on a lot of units, which seems to be a really big key to the game. That is an awful lot of blue on the dial to benefit from them. Alania still adds the white, and there are still rerolls from the size of the group. Instead of the second white, you're raising your threat.

3 1x1 Scions, 2 with Vicious roots ( I only have the 2 Scion expansions)

1 2x1 Deepwood with Tempered Steel and Hunter's Guile

1 2x1 Deepwood with Storm Sorceress and Hunter's Guile

Maegan, Reeping Blade, Mortal Magic. No exhaust on Reaping, and its cheaper than Fortuna's dice. I figure without rerolls, she needs some way to fix bad dice rolls. This list is also not as dependent upon the runes as the other, though I'm really liking the idea of being able to recast runes for my own benefit and to mess with the choices an opponent might bring.

So on the lists, it looks to me like I'm picking a couple of cheaper upgrades on the Archers, and that's opening up the bigger stack of Leonix Riders, and then our heroes are reversed.