Darnati Surge Ability

By Elliphino, in Runewars Rules Questions

Hey All,

Can the Darnati surge ability, "Gain Lethal 1 for this attack", be used on multiple surges? I.e., if I roll 3 surges can I gain Lethal 1 three times, essentially making it lethal 3?

I don't see any reason why not, and this would make the unit pretty darn powerful.

It's not a unique surge, so yes each surge spent grants lethal 1

Adding (perhaps needlessly) that ALL keywords with numerical values stack in this way, including Lethal.

On 11/3/2017 at 10:45 AM, Elliphino said:

Hey All,

Can the Darnati surge ability, "Gain Lethal 1 for this attack", be used on multiple surges? I.e., if I roll 3 surges can I gain Lethal 1 three times, essentially making it lethal 3?

I don't see any reason why not, and this would make the unit pretty darn powerful.

It isn't all that powerful, as lethal is outside threat, so depends what you have on the table. It makes blue dice, at best 3 dmg on some hit-surge (when threat 2), so effectively 1.3-1.5 on that face. Not a full on double hit, but with their roll mechanic it should be quite consistent. Effectively slight boost to hit-surge faces.

4 hours ago, Darthain said:

It isn't all that powerful, as lethal is outside threat, so depends what you have on the table. It makes blue dice, at best 3 dmg on some hit-surge (when threat 2), so effectively 1.3-1.5 on that face. Not a full on double hit, but with their roll mechanic it should be quite consistent. Effectively slight boost to hit-surge faces.

Lethal is actually pretty darn powerful, all things considered.

No, it doesn't get multiplied by threat, but it adds up FAST, and is great for pushing high armor units over that wound threshold.

Yeah, when you're down to a single tray, the Danarti Warriors' surge ability keeps them in the fight, unlike some other units. It will be pretty cool.

1 hour ago, Tvayumat said:

Lethal is actually pretty darn powerful, all things considered.

No, it doesn't get multiplied by threat, but it adds up FAST, and is great for pushing high armor units over that wound threshold.

Course, it makes them scarier than 2 blue should be, as it effectively increases their max dmg by 2. Expected a bit more work, it's 1am...

Edited by Darthain
On 11/4/2017 at 5:02 PM, Darthain said:

I'm glad you pointed that out. I didn't realize.

20 hours ago, Elliphino said:

I'm glad you pointed that out. I didn't realize.

Also remember they have a hit modifier too. So yea. Darnati are pretty darn scary damage wise.

Lethal on a certain singletray battlekitty is insane. Lethal in general is just better than nothing really.

Except for her, units wont reach higher than Lethal2 very often if ever. Thats only 2 damage. Still better than nothing but not exactly amazing.

Dartani arent really more deadly than infantry normally are, but they are more reliable due to the 3die -1 thing. Lethal offsets the fact they dont have the hit/hit result on reds other infantry have.

EDIT: Recalibrating my understanding of Darnati text

Edited by Church14

That doesn't look right. The best they can roll is two dice with hit-surge results. Don't forget they roll 3 and discard 1.

2x1 = 6 damage

3x3 = 8 damage

1x1 = 4 damage

Or am I missing something?

My understanding was the removed dice is only after rerolls. So three natural surge-hits would be ideal

EDIT: Suddenly question for my understanding of how their ability works. I had assumed it was remove a die after each reroll. Now I’m seeing a “discard your worst” effect.

Just ignore me for the moment...

Edited by Church14
18 minutes ago, Church14 said:

My understanding was the removed dice is only after rerolls. So three natural surge-hits would be ideal

EDIT: Suddenly question for my understanding of how their ability works. I had assumed it was remove a die after each reroll. Now I’m seeing a “discard your worst” effect.

Just ignore me for the moment...

That was my first understanding, too, but I was convinced otherwise. No worries! :)

Edited by Budgernaut
23 minutes ago, Budgernaut said:

That was my first understanding, too, but I was convinced otherwise. No worries! :)

Mine as well, but rerolling a more a phase of the attack than anything, and they would be pretty bonkers with the option to keep 3. Definitely more just a super consistency thing (not quite as good as precise, but a reroll with memory has its advantages)

Its written kinda ambiguous but since theres an actual "reroll dice" step it makes sense to assume they remove that third die regardless.

Otherwise their damage cap is stupid high, even if you cant utilize any rerolls for it, for their cost.

I was rereading the fluff in the darnati article, and it sort of implies that the dice are only removed for actual rerolls. Paraphrasing here, but basically they get tired if they swing more than once and the dice loss represents that.

Plus wraiths reroll text would make them auto lose a die which is interesting.

I hope it's keep all 3 of you don't reroll, otherwise it's essentially an unnecessary version of precise.

2 hours ago, Jukey said:

I was rereading the fluff in the darnati article, and it sort of implies that the dice are only removed for actual rerolls. Paraphrasing here, but basically they get tired if they swing more than once and the dice loss represents that.

Plus wraiths reroll text would make them auto lose a die which is interesting.

I hope it's keep all 3 of you don't reroll, otherwise it's essentially an unnecessary version of precise.

Article text is never to be trusted. Article FLUFF text even less so.

"After rerolls" refers to the phase of attacking in which you reroll, and is wholly independent of whether or not you actually re-roll any dice in that window. Darnati warriors have a two die attack pool, they just get to have the best two out of three. They'll remove a die if they reroll. They'll remove a die if they don't reroll. Wraiths forcing a reroll doesn't interact with their ability in any unique way.

I don't see it as an unnecessary version of precise at all. You can still use precise, and then pick the two dice of the three you rolled that you like best, depending on what you're trying to achieve. It's way better than precise IMO.

Well, if they wanted it to be unambiguous, it really needed to read as, "after the reroll dice step of combat," rather than "after rerolls." But then, if they wanted you to remove one die only if you rerolled dice, it should have read, "after you reroll dice." It's not clear either way; people are just making the best guesses they can.

I know articles are untrustworthy at best, so I'm just hopeful it gets FAQ'd in my favor, it'd be cool if the darnati hit really hard on a good roll. If not they'll still be a lot of fun though.

Maybe their next article will shed a little more light on the wording.