Why does the App need to know what Investigator you are playing?

By Hedgehobbit, in Mansions of Madness

After several months of indecision, I just bought this game to play with my kids. I noticed that the app requires you to specify which investigators you have chosen but it doesn't keep track of location or special abilities as far as I can tell. I'm assuming that it takes the number of investigators into account for difficulty purposes.

What things are changed about the scenario based on the chosen investigators?

Starting items will change and monster health changes. Probably mostly for the monster health and how to scale the game to the current amount of players mostly though.

16 minutes ago, centralx said:

Starting items will change and monster health changes.

Are starting items different based on which investigators are chosen? I haven't noticed anything but I just got the game.

2 hours ago, Hedgehobbit said:

After several months of indecision, I just bought this game to play with my kids. I noticed that the app requires you to specify which investigators you have chosen but it doesn't keep track of location or special abilities as far as I can tell. I'm assuming that it takes the number of investigators into account for difficulty purposes.

What things are changed about the scenario based on the chosen investigators?

It's for immersion purposes. So when an event happens you'll see something "Suddenly Amanda Sharpe feels the walls closing in around her, make a will check". Without it, it would be "Suddenly investigator number two feels the walls closing in around he/she/it, make a will check."

4 hours ago, Hedgehobbit said:

Are starting items different based on which investigators are chosen? I haven't noticed anything but I just got the game.

Some i vestigators start with specific items.

There are also specific Mythos effects calling out for specific investigators