Autumnwatch Elves

By Urvogel, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

After gushing over everyone elses', thought I'd share my attempts at actually getting an army done!

Currently working on my Latari. I've always wanted an autumn-themed wood elf army, and this seemed like a perfect excuse. It's been a massive learning curve for me, as even though I've been gaming for years, I usually play the monstrous/inhuman factions, so this is the first time I've had to sit down and properly paint actual 'humans' (I think the last time was a wizard from Mordheim about 9 years ago :wacko: ).

First up is the scion. I know you should paint the boring models first, but I couldn't resist. He was mainly an experiment for colours and the base. Plus bonus pic with flash since I realised you can't see the glow in his facehole thing in the other pics.

pic1.png

pic4.png

pic5.png

pic6.png

pic3.png

Ultra cool scion mods. Totally stealing that (it is what I do ?)

Very cool! This is my favorite Scion so far! What materials did you use?

On 11/2/2017 at 9:43 PM, Darthain said:

Ultra cool scion mods. Totally stealing that (it is what I do ?)

I hope you mean the theme and not the actual model. I'll fight you for it :P

On 11/2/2017 at 9:55 PM, Hepitude said:

Very cool! This is my favorite Scion so far! What materials did you use?

Thank you! For saying it's supposed to be a living tree I thought he looked a little bald on top, so decided to give him a bit of coverage! Also since orange is the spot colour of the army, it helps tie him in with the rest of the units.

For the materials, I used pale green flock, coarse brown gravel flock, winter grass tuffs, fine autumn leaf litter and autumn foliage. Aside from the grass tufts, it's all stuff you can get from model railway shops.

1 hour ago, Urvogel said:

I hope you mean the theme and not the actual model. I'll fight you for it :P

Sounds delightful, let's do it :D

Meant the branches added stuff, and foliage. I gots the things for that.

that is just pure epicness.

Next up is Excuse Not To Paint Archers #2 (aka Aliana). Apologies for the slight over-exposure on the photos. This was my first time painting an elf ever, so I was pretty much making it up as I went along. I also superglued her to the base, since like a complete idiot I thought that when you took her as a unit upgrade you slotted in the entire base, not just the model itself. Welp, looks like I'm not using her as unit upgrade anytime soon :P

Also I noticed whilst doing the base that the 'official' Aliana is positioned the other way round, as though Wildclaw is going down the slope, as opposed to cresting it. Think I prefer it the other way.

pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg
pic3.jpg

Edited by Urvogel

Alianna and Wildcall look great, the basing is amazing. You even glued in a tree! Well done

where did you find little autumn leaves?

On 11/7/2017 at 7:49 PM, Ywingscum said:

Alianna and Wildcall look great, the basing is amazing. You even glued in a tree! Well done

Thanks! I think I had my Fantasy head on painting her; I saw her as being the focal point of the army, but she looked really small by herself, compared with the leonx waving their spears about and the scion being taller. The tree was to give the model a bit of height and make her more of a centrepiece.

On 11/10/2017 at 8:03 PM, cyberkeith said:

where did you find little autumn leaves?

Ebay :P They're just leaves used for model railways. You can also get little stampers for making your own.

Made a start on the moose today, only to discover that the sculpt is so bad in places that what I thought was a horn was actually an ear. After I'd done all the basecoats for it. Dammit.

Edited by Urvogel
5 hours ago, Urvogel said:

Ebay :P They're just leaves used for model railways. You can also get little stampers for making your own.

Made a start on the moose today, only to discover that the sculpt is so bad in places that what I thought was a horn was actually an ear. After I'd done all the basecoats for it. Dammit.

thanks!

then thanks for the heads up on how the moose is

HOOTS MON THERE'S A MOOSE

LOOSE

ABOUT THIS HOOSE

[dadada da da dadada da da da DA dadadada da]

moose1.png
moose2.png
moose3.png