Is this a game me and my missus can pick up and play?

By VAYASAN, in Legacy of Dragonholt

As per title...without needing 1 person to read everything a dozen times to understand how to play etc?

I think there is no GM, but must 1 player act as controller?

I don't see how it couldn't be.

All any number of you need to "control" is keeping track of marked boxes on a handful of checklists.

5 hours ago, twincast said:

I don't see how it couldn't be.

All any number of you need to "control" is keeping track of marked boxes on a handful of checklists.

Do you have to read up and become familiar with the rules first or is it something you just read and play (I think the Star Wars beginner game is like that?)

There definitely is no GM/DM. But you will have to go through character creation first and I don't know a game that doesn't require at least a minimal amount of time reading through the rules, but it seems like once you get going, you just follow the instructions and make a few checkmarks in boxes as you go and you just follow the story bits and make choices and it tells you where to go next. I have a hard time seeing that it would be complex at all. The complexity seems to be mostly in the creation process, not the gameplay.

On 11/1/2017 at 1:02 AM, mwmcintyre said:

There definitely is no GM/DM. But you will have to go through character creation first and I don't know a game that doesn't require at least a minimal amount of time reading through the rules, but it seems like once you get going, you just follow the instructions and make a few checkmarks in boxes as you go and you just follow the story bits and make choices and it tells you where to go next. I have a hard time seeing that it would be complex at all. The complexity seems to be mostly in the creation process, not the gameplay.

Ok thanks

Plan on getting this for xmas and playing it with the wife and 2 other family members who are only around for a week...I know we wont get much finished but wanted to see if there was scope for a few games without having to spend 2 weeks learning first. Sounds like we might need me to read some of the basics for a few hours, then spend an hour or so creating chars....then be able to get a bit of gaming in.

I am new to this type of modern game(played DnD etc a looong time ago) but had read the Star wars Beginner ffg game was pick up and learn as you play and wondered if this was the same.

No guarantees, I'm just going by what FFG has said so far. You've got the same technical info I do. I don't have access to it and haven't seen the end product.

On 11/2/2017 at 4:13 AM, VAYASAN said:

Ok thanks

Plan on getting this for xmas and playing it with the wife and 2 other family members who are only around for a week...I know we wont get much finished but wanted to see if there was scope for a few games without having to spend 2 weeks learning first. Sounds like we might need me to read some of the basics for a few hours, then spend an hour or so creating chars....then be able to get a bit of gaming in.

I am new to this type of modern game(played DnD etc a looong time ago) but had read the Star wars Beginner ffg game was pick up and learn as you play and wondered if this was the same.

In case you see this, I'd be curious how it goes for you with 2 people.

I love the game.

My wife doesn't as she doesn't like to read fiction either.

I think that is very important to know: if you don't like to read, don't like fantasy or only play competitive euro games, this game is not for you...

i just gave it 9.0 on BGG...

On 12/26/2017 at 11:55 PM, Jetpack said:

In case you see this, I'd be curious how it goes for you with 2 people.

I have got it for Xmas and its on the to play list but might not get round to it realistically for a month or so.

Love to read is definitely a requirement for this game. I love it because I love reading, but my wife doesn't really like reading so she's less interested in playing it.

After Xmas chaos, finally got round to looking at the game. We picked our chars using the ones provided in the box (seemed difficult to clarify how many health etc you should start with..found an obscure sentence near the back of the book stating it (had I missed something more obvious earlier in char creation book?)

so we are prepared and I think we might have a go next week...I opened the first book a the first entry and omg what a chunk of reading...kinda daunting.....

5 hours ago, VAYASAN said:

After Xmas chaos, finally got round to looking at the game. We picked our chars using the ones provided in the box (seemed difficult to clarify how many health etc you should start with..found an obscure sentence near the back of the book stating it (had I missed something more obvious earlier in char creation book?)

so we are prepared and I think we might have a go next week...I opened the first book a the first entry and omg what a chunk of reading...kinda daunting.....

There's no "health" stat per se, but it is sort of represented by Stamina, which you track on your character sheet.

It is really like reading a novel. They describe a lot of things in detail in the story, which is why some entries can be long. On the plus side, having lots of detailed text to read helps you flesh out your adventure with your imagination.

As Finch204 says, "health" is called "Stamina".

You determine your stamina as you select your skills. The number of skills you choose effects your Stamina. You start with 14 at the base number of skills allowed (7, IIRC) and for every additional skill you take above that, your Stamina drops by 2 points. This is mentioned under the Skill Selection part of the rules and is detailed in the creator's write up of how she came up with her NPC character for the story).

Also, there is a blurb about Stamina being effected by number of players, if just you and your wife, your Stamina is at +2.

Yep sorry I meant Stamina.

Yes I id find it, just took forever to find it at the back in an obscure sentence. Would have thought the creation process would have mapped it out better/clearer for new players.

Looking forward to starting, hope the wife enjoys it.

I really think it could be my missus and I play and it took here awhile to adjust to the idea of character creation but we have been having a lot of fun since then. You can check out some reviews on the content and even how to creat a character here on my channel. I also attached a helpful character creation guide that my friend and i created!

https://youtu.be/27NePcCHLQA

https://youtu.be/Bq6MVM4odE0

Dice and Dragons Legacy of Dragonholt Character Creation Guide and Sample Characters.pdf