Gaining Strife While Unmasked

By KillingGoblinBabiesIsDishonorable, in Rules Questions

Before the update strife only went away after the scene in which you had an outburst, because of this, you could keep gaining strife and it didn't really impact anything. However, with the new unmasking rules, a strange situation now appears. If you become compromised and unmask, you immediately lose all your strife and begin unmasking until the end of the scene. Right. But there's nothing that says you don't regain strife while unmasking. One could argue that if you're already pouring your emotions out, you're not bottling them anymore and you shouldn't gain strife, but that's where the clarification would be appreciated.

If you keep gaining strife while unmasked, you could quickly hit your composure limit and become compromised again, this time with no way to unmask and wipe it clean, which would be an incredibly bad situation to be in.

I think that by design the strife should continue due to the fact that their are various abilities and techniques that utilize strife of a target and would also reflect on how difficult it is to recover strife from the incident that strung you out.

Being emotionally compromised after unmasking while possible i believe is less likely due to the design of all conflicts resolving fairly quickly in retrospect. So unless the player is getting gang banged by schemes and opportunities i think the concern is lessened.

On 10/30/2017 at 7:59 PM, Shiba Rana said:

I think that by design the strife should continue due to the fact that their are various abilities and techniques that utilize strife of a target and would also reflect on how difficult it is to recover strife from the incident that strung you out.

Being emotionally compromised after unmasking while possible i believe is less likely due to the design of all conflicts resolving fairly quickly in retrospect. So unless the player is getting gang banged by schemes and opportunities i think the concern is lessened.

At the same time, I think it's not unreasonable that if the situation is bad enough that the player essentially suffers an outburst twice over, there should be a pretty serious consequence, as it's a pretty serious thing to have happened.

I like the new compromised/unmasked mechanism, but they could certainly do with clarifying their intent. The specifics of unmasking consequences are always going to be per group and context, but the core strife/unmasking rules could do with a general tidy.