New movement for skirmishes

By MaoYoruichi, in Rules Questions

I want to make sure I'm understanding the ways to move in a skirmish correctly now that they've been updated. Characters may move:

- 1 range band when setting their stance
- 1 range band at any point during their turn
- 1 range band (as part of "actions not requiring a check") in Water Stance.
- 1+ range bands if using the Maneuver action this turn

Is this correct?

If so, couldn't a character with a long weapon and high Water perpetually play keep-away with a katana-wielding character now that Charge has been removed? Move to range 2 when setting Water Stance, strike, move after taking the Strike action, and then move again, ending up at range 4 from the katana-wielding opponent, who is forced into Water Stance if she hopes to get in range for a Strike this turn.

It seems the first one, when setting the stance, has been scrapped in the update. It was part of the same section on p. 164 that has been entirely replaced with the new wording. So now, you only get to move one single range band, before or after your Action, and then have to use the maneuver action (twice if in Water stance).

Oooh, right, I missed the part about the movement section being completely replaced. So now this perpetual keep away can happen but the yari user needs to already be at range 2 when the turn starts and needs to have a higher initiative, so it's an extremely fringe case.

Or the yari user needs to be in Water stance and use Water opportunities to teleport around the battlefield, as they are still 1 Range Band of extra movement per Opportunity.

Water is currently overtuned to the point where you need to use Water stance to fight a Water stance without being kited to death.

In fact, want something extremely toxic?

Win initiative as a Water User.

Move into range 0 of your opponent. Punch them with Open Palm Style. Immobilize them, and spend rest of your opportunities on moving out. If needed, use your extra action to get to safe distance.

Your opponent is immobilized. They cant move at all. They shake their fist at you.

Next turn, you repeat this nonsense, until your opponent quits.

Edited by WHW
20 minutes ago, WHW said:

Or the yari user needs to be in Water stance and use Water opportunities to teleport around the battlefield, as they are still 1 Range Band of extra movement per Opportunity.

Water is currently overtuned to the point where you need to use Water stance to fight a Water stance without being kited to death.

In fact, want something extremely toxic?

Win initiative as a Water User.

Move into range 0 of your opponent. Punch them with Open Palm Style. Immobilize them, and spend rest of your opportunities on moving out. If needed, use your extra action to get to safe distance.

Your opponent is immobilized. They cant move at all. They shake their fist at you.

Next turn, you repeat this nonsense, until your opponent quits.

I'm glad my players aren't this gamey, because I'd have to explicitly forbid this nonsense.

EDIT: I'm thinking of houseruling to limit skirmish movement so that range 3 or 4 is the furthest you can be from any given person

Edited by MaoYoruichi
Added

Counter: the immobilized (or out of range / out-kited) character can take the Wait support action. Trigger: when the other dude comes into range of my tetsubo, splash!

Oh and it's always nice to have some ranged weapon as backup too.

1 hour ago, Franwax said:

Counter: the immobilized (or out of range / out-kited) character can take the Wait support action. Trigger: when the other dude comes into range of my tetsubo, splash!

Oh and it's always nice to have some ranged weapon as backup too.

I always forget about the Wait action. So useful, so versatile, and also narratively very interesting!