Mantis Clan Revealed

By Yoritomo Kazuto, in Lore Discussion

Eh, laws aren't quite that clear cut. Remember, Wolverine first debuted in the Hulk, but is unavailable for the Marvel films because he's an X-men, and those rights were sold to Sony. On the other hand, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver were available for the Avengers as long as they weren't referred to as mutants (admittedly, everything surrounding Marvel movie rights is a mess and makes little to no sense at the best of times)

Really, it's a roundabout way of saying that without looking at the actual deal, it's impossible to tell unless they clarify. I don't find it likely that they'll clarify until they need to - it adds a bit more mystery, considering literally all we know about the world so far is in the fiction and on the cards so far (beta RPG is a good indication for some things, but subject top change, so it isn't concrete yet)

3 hours ago, Talandar said:

Would it be possible to copyright the phrase Burning Sands? Because they might be able to get away with calling it The Burning Sands, as long as they populate it with similar but legally distinct cultures.

Not in the US. Single phrases cannot be covered by Copyright.

Trademark, perhaps, but LBS is already a trademark of AEG... tho not one in the US Trademark Registry.

Copyright can protect it from close imitators but isn't the same as trademark. Different forms of IP.

I love the new take on the Mantis. This was what I was hoping for when they announced the-then-upcoming Way of the Minor Clans back in 1e. I especially love the taking the name of the ship for their family name aspect.