New Unmasked Mechanic (previously Strife)

By GhostSanta, in Legend of the Five Rings Roleplaying Game Beta

I've only just glanced over this but I like this as a concept basically 1000000% better than strife. Thank you.

I'm going to commence playtesting again and keep you all posted on how it goes. Post your feelings here!

Edited by GhostSanta

Yeah, so far I like it. Much less of a REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE feeling and perhaps closer to what FFG were actually trying to do with that mechanic.

I just like that they clarified the mechanic and added some tangible drawbacks instead of a vaguely defined emotional outburst. Strife actually matters now~

idk I like the description for unmasking, and the ability to maintain your reserve by forfeiting all dice with Strife symbols on them... I also like that you completely dump your well of Strife when you unmask. I'm unsure about this option for how long you stay unmasked... Why would you stay unmasked? Is there any reason or even effect to stay unmasked? If I make an Inappropriate Remark do I just keep cussing but never lose any more Glory? Is there a reason to stay this way? Or do I suffer the -3 Glory each turn in which I stay this way? Is the advantage that I continually dump my Strife to 0? I think there is something mechanical that is missing in the Unmasking and choice to stay Unmasked.

Shut Down is not on the list, and I liked that one. There are times when I've been overwhelmed and shut down like that, unable to really respond to anyone or process thought. Did they dump it because it was a scene commitment where the new system implies you can Unmask and then return to normal the next turn?

Edited by shosuko
28 minutes ago, shosuko said:

idk I like the description for unmasking, and the ability to maintain your reserve by forfeiting all dice with Strife symbols on them... I also like that you completely dump your well of Strife when you unmask. I'm unsure about this option for how long you stay unmasked... Why would you stay unmasked? Is there any reason or even effect to stay unmasked? If I make an Inappropriate Remark do I just keep cussing but never lose any more Glory? Is there a reason to stay this way? Or do I suffer the -3 Glory each turn in which I stay this way? Is the advantage that I continually dump my Strife to 0? I think there is something mechanical that is missing in the Unmasking and choice to stay Unmasked.

Shut Down is not on the list, and I liked that one. There are times when I've been overwhelmed and shut down like that, unable to really respond to anyone or process thought. Did they dump it because it was a scene commitment where the new system implies you can Unmask and then return to normal the next turn?

From pg.2

When a character unmasks, they remove all of their strife . Then, the
player roleplays the way in which their character lets their facade fall, and
the GM determines any narrative and mechanical consequences this has.
Players and GMs can look to the following example means of unmasking
for inspiration, or design their own to fit the scene and the character!

I like the term unmask, especially in relation on, which usually is interpreted as a mask of stoicness.

Mechanics will have to bear out sometime.

I like the Compromised / Unmasking rules in the latest update, and I feel that it captures the proper feeling for the system. By eliminating the ability to keep dice with Strife icons on them, you make Strife icons matter once the character is compromised, which they did not before. I would also like to see some mechanics, specifically Shuji, which can affect a character who is Compromised, as that strikes me as a golden opportunity to either kick someone when they are down, or alternatively help them up.

One question for clarity: it does not say exactly at what step a character can Unmask. Does it take an action, for example? Or is it a free action? Can I roll my dice while I am Compromised, see that I have all the successes I need on this roll, but they all have Strife icons, then choose to Unmask so I can keep them?

Looks good.

• Also, reading the wording again, the one thing I was worried about does not apply:
    • Finishing Blow says "The first time each character’s strife exceeds their composure during a duel, their opponent may immediately perform a finishing blow."
    • Because it's 'The first time each character’s strife exceeds their composure' not 'the first time you suffer an outburst', offering up a Finishing Blow opportunity remains compulsory if you loose your grip on your strife score, even if you don't unmask.
16 minutes ago, sndwurks said:

One question for clarity: it does not say exactly at what step a character can Unmask. Does it take an action, for example? Or is it a free action? Can I roll my dice while I am Compromised, see that I have all the successes I need on this roll, but they all have Strife icons, then choose to Unmask so I can keep them?

Update 1, page 3:

While a character is compromised, they may unmask at any point during their turn.

So you can make a Martial Arts (Melee) roll, realize you've just rolled 4 [explosive success][strife] results, and choose to unmask with an emotion driven "Yaaaaaarrrgh!", turing a miss into a massive bonus successes/bonus deadliness bezerk double-handed otsuchi swing that turns the other guy into chunky salsa.

4 minutes ago, Magnus Grendel said:

So you can make a Martial Arts (Melee) roll, realize you've just rolled 4 [explosive success][strife] results, and choose to unmask with an emotion driven "Yaaaaaarrrgh!", turing a miss into a massive bonus successes/bonus deadliness bezerk double-handed otsuchi swing that turns the other guy into chunky salsa.

Since this is Beta, I am pointing out that rules need to be clarified on this. While I actually believe you are correct, and would side with this at my table, having the rules clearly state that you can Unmask after dice have been rolled but before you have declared Kept Dice or checked against at TN is good.

I kinda like the changes but I also think that the strange rule interactions will grow in number. Like certain Passions suddenly becoming gold for insta-killing Compromised because they can be universally employed at a scene's moment (like Playfulness).

Also, there are some artifacts among the Unmasking options, like Compromise (sounds a little confusing, and its description partially overlaps with Panicked Flight) and Expose Strength/Weakness still being able to cause hilarious moments (like a Blind character revealing that he is indeed truly blind). But I guess these are easy to fix, so I don't bother.

3 hours ago, sndwurks said:

Since this is Beta, I am pointing out that rules need to be clarified on this. While I actually believe you are correct, and would side with this at my table, having the rules clearly state that you can Unmask after dice have been rolled but before you have declared Kept Dice or checked against at TN is good.

If needs be. I'd take the unqualified 'at any point' to be universal unless specifically restricted rather than the other way around, but 'including after dice are rolled' isn't going to cost a huge amount of time or effort to add.

2 hours ago, AtoMaki said:

Expose Strength/Weakness still being able to cause hilarious moments (like a Blind character revealing that he is indeed truly blind)

It's a characteristic not yet revealed, though; The fact that you haven't got any legs should be pretty obvious (Redbeard Rum quotes aside) but I guess whilst everyone knows the blind guy is blind, it means they realise a way to specifically exploit this?

3 minutes ago, Magnus Grendel said:

It's a characteristic not yet revealed, though; The fact that you haven't got any legs should be pretty obvious (Redbeard Rum quotes aside)

The Unmasking option specifies that it must be revealed with Expose Weakness to count as "revealed":

The character chooses one of their advantages or disadvantages they have not revealed in this manner this session ; each other character in the scene learns of that disadvantage.

I guess this can be roleplayed as the character making a scene about their obvious weakness, but it is still funny.

6 minutes ago, Magnus Grendel said:

It's a characteristic not yet revealed, though; The fact that you haven't got any legs should be pretty obvious (Redbeard Rum quotes aside) but I guess whilst everyone knows the blind guy is blind, it means they realise a way to specifically exploit this?

Maybe. Perhaps the line "Until the end of the scene, reduce the TN of of all Scheme action checks made by the character who exposed their weakness.” should be change to "checks against the character" That would make more sense.

They also need to fix the glory/honor lost with unmasking as it doesn't quite jive with the glory & honor charts. Would advise the baseline be a minor breach of honor/minor diminishment of glory, though the actions of the character and circumstances could change that.

Might be a good idea if they set it up so that instead of these various not well balanced situations, they change unmasking options so the player simply chooses an action that is either a minor breach, a minor diminishment, or must reroll two dice showing success/explosive success for the rest of the scene (basically being at a disadvantage for the rest of the scene due to the unmasking). No added benefits or the like, keep it simple and thematic.

“Hey guys, there’s something you should know...”

*group looks worried*

”I am missing a leg”

group: “Em... yeah, we know”

Yeah, that sounds weird :P

Not too worried about the “length” of the effects though. Seems rather clear: honor and glory losses are instant and one off, TN reduction of scheme actions and ignoring disadvantage last for the remainder of the Scene, and I suppose the Enraged condition can be removed per the usual rules.

Now what I am wondering is what happens if the scene is Strife rich and lasts longer than usual... you can only unmask once per scene, as written. So great, Strife goes to zero and you start accumulating again. Then you might go back into Compromised territory, with very little ways to reduce that (basically taking a calming breath and that’s about it). That’s admittedly a borderline case, but not wildly unlikely. So bottom line is: watch your Strife!

Finally, about the Shutdown option, I feel like they wanted to replace it by the Calming Breath Action: you can chose to sulk in a corner, doing nothing other than pacing your heartbeats for a few rounds, stick to Earth stance to prevent others from affecting you with opportunities and wait for the storm to pass... but this said, for those who miss it, the old Outburst can be used as an Unmasking with almost no change (and the rules do encourage to come up with alternative ways of blowing off steam).

38 minutes ago, Franwax said:

”I am missing a leg”

either through a physical tell that makes it obvious or an ill-considered word that reveals it to others.

I'd nudge for the former, rather than making the latter a blunt statement.

Well yes... a wooden leg is a **** of a physical tell :D

Just now, Franwax said:

True, but I guess someone might know you have a wooden leg, but not realise just how unbalanced you are on it until he sees you slip a bit on the lacquered floor...

Not just having the wooden leg. :rolleyes:

Aptly demonstrating that you're less capable with it.

Thankfully, if you're wearing enough layers it becomes quite difficult to tell that you've... Got wood.

I also wonder why they added exposing an advantage to the Unmasking... Why is exposing an advantage here? Is this ever a bad thing to expose an advantage?

26 minutes ago, shosuko said:

I also wonder why they added exposing an advantage to the Unmasking... Why is exposing an advantage here? Is this ever a bad thing to expose an advantage?

Wisdom from the Tao of Shinsei tells us; “Knowing your advantages does you no good if your enemy is able to keep you from employing them.”

47 minutes ago, shosuko said:

Advantages can be inverted depending on the situation.

Passions can be inverted into Anxieties and Distinctions can be turn into Adversities.

11 hours ago, Ultimatecalibur said:

Advantages can be inverted depending on the situation.

Passions can be inverted into Anxieties and Distinctions can be turn into Adversities.

Exactly. They're just harder to use in this fashion (costing a void point to do so).