First update

By Nheko, in Legend of the Five Rings Roleplaying Game Beta

First updates ready for download! :)

Why aren't the updates being rolled into the beta itself, with the new additions in colored text?

Far less paperwork and juggling between the beta and the updates to check and see if you haven't forgotten something.

Where is the update found online?

52 minutes ago, selderane said:

Why aren't the updates being rolled into the beta itself, with the new additions in colored text?

Far less paperwork and juggling between the beta and the updates to check and see if you haven't forgotten something.

I agree, they could simply have added and replaced the text in a different color so you know what has changed.

54 minutes ago, selderane said:

Yes, that is such a strange choice. Let's add more mess to the already messy PDF, by adding another PDF that's separated from the main PDF lol

"Insert Xzibit meme here"

While I agree with everyone that it should have been done as replacement pages. This is how FFG has done all their betas so I would not expect them to change it now.

That said their other updates where changed to a physical book so not sure why they went that path here.

Edited by tenchi2a
20 minutes ago, tenchi2a said:

While I agree with everyone that it should have been done as replacement pages. This is how FFG has done all their betas so I would not expect them to change it now.

That said their other updates where changed to a physical book so not sure why they went that path here.

For the Star Wars betas that made sense. There was only the physical beta books to work from.

That's not the case here.

Just now, selderane said:

For the Star Wars betas that made sense. There was only the physical beta books to work from.

That's not the case here.

As I said I agree.

Just don't think they will change their style of updates.

5 minutes ago, tenchi2a said:

As I said I agree.

Just don't think they will change their style of updates.

Well they may want to change that if they want us to test things properly. Constantly checking 2 different documents to make sure we're using the new correct rulings is going to be obnoxious, not to mention time consuming. I expect this to slow gameplay down

Just now, Mirumoto Seiichiro said:

Well they may want to change that if they want us to test things properly. Constantly checking 2 different documents to make sure we're using the new correct rulings is going to be obnoxious, not to mention time consuming. I expect this to slow gameplay down

going to more like 10+ different documents by the end.

6 minutes ago, tenchi2a said:

This makes me a sad panda.
Image result for sad panda

20 minutes ago, Mirumoto Seiichiro said:

This makes me a sad panda.
Image result for sad panda

No will always be 2. Future updates tend too update the update. At least they did in sw

The update book will get the new updates(heh), with new stuff in magenta. if i understood correctly.

Hello, and welcome to the updates for the Legend of the 5 Rings Roleplaying
Game Beta. This documen t will be updated perodically with
modifications to the game based on playtester feedback. The most recent
updates will be in magenta.

It indicates the update document in the wording

Just now, Mirumoto Seiichiro said:

It indicates the update document in the wording

The issue is not finding new updates..

Its the problem of have to go back and forth between the updates and the rules.

And since unlike previous betas this is a PDF not a paper book.

So replacement pages would remove this issue.

1 minute ago, tenchi2a said:

I agree. Probably won't happen. So harping is a waste of time.

1 hour ago, tenchi2a said:

Was more indicating for people the wording is indicating that they wont be updating the main rules document. Which is a problem

58 minutes ago, Mirumoto Seiichiro said:

Was more indicating for people the wording is indicating that they wont be updating the main rules document. Which is a problem

It is only a problem if you make it one. I did all 3 SW betas. It was never a problem. You learn what is updated and refer to it as needed. The update doc is not that big

8 hours ago, tenchi2a said:

Nah, it is gonna be only two. New stuff will be magneta'd in the update.

Someone at FFG really likes GW FAQs :lol: .

any heroes made a compiled document yet?

6 hours ago, Daeglan said:

It is only a problem if you make it one. I did all 3 SW betas. It was never a problem. You learn what is updated and refer to it as needed. The update doc is not that big

anything that slows down the game for constant reference is a problem for most groups. And this is a slow down. Experience from back in the day when game companies would release errata for core books in other supplements tells me so.

4 hours ago, Mirumoto Seiichiro said:

anything that slows down the game for constant reference is a problem for most groups. And this is a slow down. Experience from back in the day when game companies would release errata for core books in other supplements tells me so.

That would be you making it a problem. Not it actually being a problem. It is one short document. That you most likely know when you need to check it. They arent going to change their method. So deal with it.

Edited by Daeglan
4 hours ago, Daeglan said:

That would be you making it a problem. Not it actually being a problem. It is one short document. That you most likely know when you need to check it. They arent going to change their method. So deal with it.

Almost every playtester has complained about the books layout being horrible and unwieldy.

Now we have the same horribly laid-out book and -another- book with half-rules and updates as a companion to reference.

This actually makes things worse for playtesters, and it was already frequently noted as being bad.

It's not the end of the world obviously, but flipping around from page to page and not being able to find info has legit already made one of my players get frustrated enough to drop out of the betatest rather than try to decipher the mess. It -is- an issue.

32 minutes ago, GhostSanta said:

Almost every playtester has complained about the books layout being horrible and unwieldy.

Now we have the same horribly laid-out book and -another- book with half-rules and updates as a companion to reference.

I've not had many issues thanks to the linked Table of Contents at the start of the book.

Also, if it's so bad it need major layout changes, I'm sure the layout people are working hard on that, rather than working on merging rule changes into a crappy old version of the pdf that they're not intending to use.

EDIT: I would also note that the Star Wars beta was a paid beta, so even if the PDF is a little crappy, be happy it's free to participate in the beta.

Edited by MuttonchopMac