88-Z Rules

By bpearcy, in Imperial Assault Rules Questions

7 hours ago, a1bert said:

Ah, the "able to attack" mission rule. I would say multiple energy shields in one space would each have their own damage, independently targeted, adjacent for the purposes of Blast and Cleave.

If I understand energy shields correctly, if you place one on top of a terminal, it won't block attacking the terminal as line of sight can still be traced to objects occupying the same space as the energy shield? You'd have to put it next to the terminal and at worst force the heroes to run around (or through) it to achieve their objectives. It doesn't sound like they're terribly useful?

True. The energy shields are mainly to avoid ranged heroes from attacking you without moving.

There is way to put one or two spaces in front of the object to force them to get realy close to it (or melee attack) if they want to avoid attacking the shield and concentrate on the object.

"88-Z activates at the start or end of an Imperial activation."

Does this mean that the droid works like a junk droid that can activate multiple times per round as long as there is an imperial figure to activate? OR does the droid card gets exhausted once the imperial player activates 88-Z?

11 minutes ago, robertpolson said:

Does this mean that the droid works like a junk droid that can activate multiple times per round as long as there is an imperial figure to activate? OR does the droid card gets exhausted once the imperial player activates 88-Z?

88-Z gets exhausted after it activates, so unless something can un-exhaust readies 88-Z it can only activate once per round (and only if you have an Imperial Activation for it to activate with)

Edited by Majushi
10 minutes ago, robertpolson said:

@Majushi is correct, but to get specific in regards to your question the Ugnaught Tinker’s Scrap Battalion ability readies the Junk Droid. That’s why the Junk Droid can activate multiple times and 88-Z cannot.

Edited by Uninvited Guest

See above.

Companions follow the normal rules for figures, so the companion card exhausts like activation tokens and deployment cards after their activation. All exhausted cards except the class, item, and possibly supply cards of heroes ready during the ready step of the status phase.

See Overclock . It allows to ready 88-Z so it can activate twice per round.

I'm playing a campaign as imperial using the reactive defenses deck. I placed two energy shields in front a a door the rebels need to destroy, like in the diagram

Can the heroes destroy the door without taking down the shields first?

BTW, the mission is Target of Opportunity from the core game.

query on shields.png

Additionally, can you end your movement on an energy shield or rubble token?

Edited by NerdyNinja11

Energy Shields are a bit like blocking terrain. You can draw line of sight into, and draw line of sight out of, but not through them.

So, a figure on the same space as an energy shield can draw line of sight out of its space.

In your example a hero in the same space as a shield is adjacent to the door. If the other space adjacent to the door is empty, you can by rules as written target that space from the other space, because door occupies that space. (You can draw LoS out of your own energy shield, and into - but not through- the other.)

And because anything else would be silly, you can always target a door in your own space if you are adjacent to the door.

You could have figures on those spaces though.

On 11/26/2017 at 6:51 PM, robertpolson said:

Is 88-Z part of that groups activation? A question came up during our first session. I activated a probe droid “group” and then said I am going with 88-Z first. When would Jyn be allowed to activate quick draw against the probe droid? 88-Z could cause a strain against her that could prevent the use of quick draw. My rebel friend was arguing that because there is only one figure in the probe droid “group”, i was actually activating the figure instead.

The wording is a tad ambiguous. Activations by default refer to figure activations, but "Imperial activation" could also refer to the imperial turn to activate. However, the latter can only be determined from context, it is not well defined in the game.

(I have actually played it as "group activation" for a while, but now that I check, I have previously mentally used "figure activation".)

So, I think by rules as written Jyn could Quick Draw the figure "before" whom 88-Z activates.

Edited by a1bert

Can 88-Z be target of cleave and Drokatta shrapnels?

Yes. it's a figure that can suffer damage.

Also: Vinto's Boltslinger, Blast and Demolish.

Edited by a1bert

Diala with dancing weapon and the weighted head would be a pretty effective counter to 88-Z...

Half of the heroes can kill him in first activation (without adjacent figures). Not going to play this deck.

Fortunately, not all builds concentrate on 88-Z staying on the map (1mp from Infrared Scanners is amazing), so the rebels spending resources on defeating 88-Z might be away from something else.

Still, it's below average class deck.

On 5/23/2018 at 3:15 PM, a1bert said:

Fortunately, not all builds concentrate on 88-Z staying on the map (1mp from Infrared Scanners is amazing), so the rebels spending resources on defeating 88-Z might be away from something else.

True, and since you get to pick your class after seeing the heroes, you can pick a different class if they have too many easy ways to damage 88-Z.

So I started with Rebels and our Imperial player has been destroying us. He has 88-z with Remote Activation only. He has been playing it like so:

4 Imperial groups on the field

Group 1 activates : 88-z interrupts to attack or move, group 1 finishes activation

Group 2 activates : 88-z interrupts to attack or move, group 2 finishes activation

Group 3 the same.

Group 4 : 88-z takes his main activation at the start or end of this group.

Does he ever get exhausted? We had close to 6 groups on a map, and while 1 shot isn't terrible 6 shots can be half our life (or over for us terrible dice rollers).

If he exhausts after 2 actions in a round (3 overclocked) how is remote activation in anyway cool? What would you use it for?

Remote activation is an attachment, and has to be given to a group.

once it has, it can only be used by that group once per round, and for once 88-z action.

88-z become exhausted after it’s activation also.

you Imperial is playing that wrong

Edited by Majushi

A deployment card and companion card is exhausted after the figures corresponding to that deployment card or companion card have activated. ("A companion follows all normal rules for figures")

Like Majushi says, Remote Activator is an attachment, the special action can be only used once per activation, and once per the group's activation. Thus once per round (unless the group it is attached to is defeated and a new group is deployed through mission event and it is attached to a to that group). Remote Activator doesn't need 88-Z to be ready, because 88-Z doesn't activate, just performs a move, attack, or a special action.

Edited by a1bert

When 88-Z activates at the start of an Imperial activation does the Imperial player have to specify which group 88-Z is activating ahead of?

An example would be...(if 88-Z is in attack mode) Imperial activates 88-Z and attacks a Rebel figure. If attack didn't have desired outcome, Group A would activate and follow-up attack Rebel figure. If 88-Z attack did have desired outcome, follow-up attack from Group A not required so Group B activates instead to do something else.

Basically, can Imperial have contingency plans for which group activates after 88-Z activation or does specific group need to be declared prior to 88-Z activation?

Because 88-Z activates at the start of an activation and not "before", you have already declared which figure you are activating. (Activations default to figure activations if not specified otherwise - or "obvious" from the context.)