First Attempt at a "Magic Item"

By oshfarms, in WFRP House Rules

Ring of Fortune

At the beginning of each session, roll 3 Fortune Die. If at least one success is generated, the wearer of the ring will increase his Fortune Points to 4 for this session.

This was given as a gift to one of my PCs by a stranger who is "helping" him. In reality, there is an enchantment on the ring that will reveal the player's location. (Not sure if that works in WH since I'm new to the setting and designing my own world anyway).

I'd be interested in what anyone thinks. I thought it might be okay as a low powered item.

Is that their cap is raised to 4 for the session, or they just start with the extra one? Let's say the party Fortune pool fills and the person's burned only one during the session, could they take one from the pool, thereby going back to 4, or would they have to skip taking one (since they had 3)?

The tracking magic would work fine. There's plenty of examples of creatures (especially) being drawn to an item or person by the magic they put out. Of course, it's usually Chaos doing it, but you can do it how you'd like.

I think its a good idea for a low powered magic item.

I made a warding charm myself that I'm gonna award next session. Whenever the wearer is the target of a magic spell or supernatural power that tries to control or manipulate your mind add <mf> to the dice pool of the caster.

<mf> = misfortune

At the start of the session they would immediately take an extra and go up to 4. If I remember right, each session the PCs start with their full amount. If the party sheet refreshes and the ring bearer currently had 3, he would be able to add the one up to 4.

Lucas Adorn said:

I think its a good idea for a low powered magic item.

I made a warding charm myself that I'm gonna award next session. Whenever the wearer is the target of a magic spell or supernatural power that tries to control or manipulate your mind add <mf> to the dice pool of the caster.

<mf> = misfortune

I like this idea as well.

I like the ring of fortune as you have statted it. It's a sleight advantage, but a solid one. Perfectly appropriate for a low powered magic item. It's ability to reveal the character's location is a nice addition as well, and I see no problems with that addition. I might even drop the roll at the beginning of the session and just have it allow a maximum of 4 fortune points every session, or add a once per session ability to reroll all fortune and misfortune dice on one check the character makes. Just some ideas.

I like the charm of warding too - simple and effective.

Good magic items all around. I will be appropriating these ideas and making cards of them for my own "deck of many things..." gui%C3%B1o.gif

I also made my first magic item for WFRP 3. I'm running my players through TEW, and had to stat up the "Ring of Protection from Undead" that is given to the party in Death on the Reik. I decided that it would add 2 defense and 2 soak verses attacks from material undead, and add 2 fortune dice to fear/terror tests agains all undead. It's a little powerful, but the fact that it only helps against undead balances that I think. It's still less powerful that the original 1st edition powers.

-Thorvid

I've made 5 item cards so far with Strange Eons (with simplified effect descriptions):

1. The black shield (+<F> to counterblow, [bo] lets the player remove 1 token from a defence card)

2. The raven axe (+<F> in reckless stance, +1 defence in conservative stance)

3. Grimbachs Tome (+<F> to channeling, [su+su] +1 power, [su+su+su] +2 power, [bo] +<F> to next channeling roll)

4. Ultuan robe (1 defence, 1 soak, +<F> to fellowship checks, +1 <M> when using dodge reactive defence card)

5. Inferno staff (+2 damage to damage spells, +2 power whenever one or more spell damage criticals are dealt)

I absolutely love all those ideas. I also made a card using Strange Eons. My Ring of Fortune is used by a Pit Fighter and I told him I would make a card for the ring. I can't wait until he sees the "card" as it has one of the most girly looking rings pictured on the card. After he settles down from all the other players making fun of him, I'll give him the real card.

What do you use in Strange Eons to form the basis of item cards..?

I can't seem to find them in there :P

Its the 1st version and i use Location cards.

Got it, thanks very much.