How to deal with 6 lancers?

By Ailowynn, in Runewars Tactics

In a mirror match...kill a wormstar with worms...run them with rank discipline to try for as many surges as you can and just mortal strike them to death...a flanking single worm will do a ton of damage to a wormstar with a blight on it...hit them with 2-3 solo worms?...mulch...

Also the Eagle Banner Bearer.

Thst by itself on a Daqan unit can wipe 1-2 worms out in one attack before you get to damage.

2 hours ago, Tvayumat said:

Thst by itself on a Daqan unit can wipe 1-2 worms out in one attack before you get to damage.

I've been waiting to try that one... A 6.block eagle, and a 4 block geomancer. Havoc I say.

On 10/30/2017 at 10:00 AM, jek said:

In a mirror match...kill a wormstar with worms...run them with rank discipline to try for as many surges as you can and just mortal strike them to death...a flanking single worm will do a ton of damage to a wormstar with a blight on it...hit them with 2-3 solo worms?...mulch...

Yeah, but this requires me to actually outplay my opponent to ensure that my worms take out his worms instead of vice-versa, and how am I ever going to do that? :P

On 10/30/2017 at 5:05 PM, Tvayumat said:

So another opponent has tried out the Eagle Banner on the worms and wile it does work OK on the initial attack, it takes too long to build up inspiration for the Eagle Banner to have sustainable impact. It's also hampered a bit by the fact that your spearstar, if that's what you're using to counter the worms, needs to use some inspiration to ward off blight if it's ever going to have dice to roll itself. Eagle Banner definitely helps, but it's not the silver bullet.

1 hour ago, Elliphino said:

So another opponent has tried out the Eagle Banner on the worms and wile it does work OK on the initial attack, it takes too long to build up inspiration for the Eagle Banner to have sustainable impact. It's also hampered a bit by the fact that your spearstar, if that's what you're using to counter the worms, needs to use some inspiration to ward off blight if it's ever going to have dice to roll itself. Eagle Banner definitely helps, but it's not the silver bullet.

For sure. I really like the eagle banner so I've done some experimenting. It would be ideal on a 2x2, but since 3x2 is the smallest that can take it that's what I've been doing. Since it wants to bide its time building tokens, it's a good fit with forged in battle. Tempered steel is great on a threat 4 attack, though visored helms also works well with a unit that badly wants to attack at initiative 7.

Basically I'm trying to find a good spearmen configuration that isn't so many eggs in one basket as the deathstar.

Best way to deal with 6 Worms? Don't engage them. Run your unit with wind rune and stay out of the straight path of the worms. They don't turn too well so stay to their sides, you may get 1 blight but that's okay, get a few inspiration tokens early (rally early, and use Hawthorne). Stay unengaged with them and ignore them as best you can. Obviously they may try to charge a flank so have a blocker to just hold them up as long as possible. Single Worm, Single Rune Golem, Single Scion. If you have ranged attack, attack and move.