Phoenix Paint & Mod

By Phoenix_FFG, in Imperial Assault Painting and Modification

After having not painted for 6 years, the idea of picking up the brushes for miniature painting again was quite daunting. I originally was going to have my Imperial Assault miniatures commission painted, but after discovering tutorial videos (some by @Sorastro - thanks!) among some others and having the commission painter become unavailable, I started to gain the want to paint again myself. It was the will of the Force that I tackle my Imperial Assault miniatures myself. I spent a career with Games Workshop/Citadel paints, but even after watching tutorial videos with those paints, I decided to invest in a large range of The Army Painter paints. After having the miniatures begin to come to life and look great on the coloured game tiles, I also decided to replace the original bases with clear versions to fully embrace the tiles beneath. So, I'm certainly no expert painter, but over time I'd like to show you that a little paint and a lot of determination can produce some great looking board-game-quality Star Wars miniatures. :)

- Phoenix

37799877146_7e66ab7eee.jpg

One of the latest editions to the finished Core lineup:

Photo%2010-10-17,%207%2038%2026%20pm.jpg

I seem to have lost a lot of my photos of the progress I made while taking up painting again. I've found a few on facebook, so resaved them. Han Solo was the happiest I had been with painting. He looks amazing on the table! I've finished the Core Set and add-ons, now they're all in the process of getting clear bases.

22181327_1440507426069652_12313609818017

Han Solo does indeed look great!

Great work on your miniatures. I have said it once and I will say it again. We are our own toughest critics. I honestly got back into the hobby through Imperial Assault after decades since painting my last miniatures. I too have shared my work and love being able to bring these figures to life.

Keep up the amazing work and keep posting.

Great work on Solo! His typical smirk comes across very well. One Suggestion: I'm convinced that your paint job would look even better if you used matt varnish to get rid of the shine. Have you tried varnishing your minis matt, yet?

2 hours ago, Fourtytwo said:

Great work on Solo! His typical smirk comes across very well. One Suggestion: I'm convinced that your paint job would look even better if you used matt varnish to get rid of the shine. Have you tried varnishing your minis matt, yet?

His boots are gloss varnished, the rest of him is matt varnished. Most of my photos are taken at night with a light directly above the table, and a second mobile to provide some light from a different direction. It makes for some weird effects in the photos. One day I'll actually take pictures during the day! :)

So, as I lost my progress photos and before the campaign I rebased all the miniatures, I'll just post a group photo of the finished Core Set / Wave 1 miniatures. After this, I'll take more shots of progress and painting.

23559815_1477131869073874_64088750994616

I absolutely love how you made the Probe Droids or Probots as they were originally called, hovering over their bases. I honestly disliked that they were stuck to their bases.

I will be honest, you have inspired me to "borrow" that idea.

Great job on all your miniatures. I especially like how you brought Han and Chewbacca to life. Chewbacca is worthy of a close up.

Edited by C3POFETT
On 14/11/2017 at 10:32 PM, C3POFETT said:

I absolutely love how you made the Probe Droids or Probots as they were originally called, hovering over their bases. I honestly disliked that they were stuck to their bases.

I will be honest, you have inspired me to "borrow" that idea.

Great job on all your miniatures. I especially like how you brought Han and Chewbacca to life. Chewbacca is worthy of a close up.

The Probe Droid bases were the last available from Applied Perspective. I helped the owner with suggestions to sell his 'notched' bases separately, as a single set of 3 in a Core Base Set was essentially useless (you need more sets than 1). If not for those, I would have just used something like the pegs from X-Wing Miniatures and glued them to a clear round base (Jet Troopers come with those). I have clear base spares enough to do the Jet Troopers when the time comes. Don't be afraid to borrow that idea, I borrowed it from somewhere too. :P

I had a photo floating around. This is a photo I took of the characters that didn't appear in the Core Campaign (I forgot that the Rebel Troopers also didn't make an appearance). I need to take one of Han and Chewie together. (Ignore the black flecks on the clear bases, that's just plastic flash from where I was working). I use The Army Painter brand paints, but watched @Sorastro 's video on painting the Wookiee fur to get started.

23517723_1478927195561008_79232405051649

Rebel Saboteurs

23659708_1479898132130581_34775132553799

Rebel Troopers

24300970_1497166030403791_32916521253879