How do I get more clues into play?

By Cejel, in General Discussion

You know the old saying - You can never be too good looking, have too much money, or have enough clues in play.

Clues are almost like gold in this game. Rerolling dice and solving mysteries takes a lot of clues. I don't have a problem collecting them. I have more of a problem getting them onto the board sometimes.

Anyone have any advice or tips on how to get more clues onto the board? Who? Where do they have to be? Which decks need to be tapped? I only have the base game and Foresaken Lore expansion. Thanks in advance.

Each city has an increased chance of an effect appearing, marked by the text below each city space. London generates clues, so that's generally the best bet, just sit on London and have clues generate around the board. For your actions you can make sure you're focused, buy tickets to help move later, or attempt shopping. The other characters can then rush after the clues being generated.

There's also characters (not sure from which expansion though) that can generate clues.

3 hours ago, neosmagus said:

There's also characters (not sure from which expansion though) that can generate clues.

This part is key. There are several "clue generator" characters in the game (Trish, Mandy, Tony, etc... Jacqueline is my personal favorite) . Don't leave home without one!

Edited by KBlumhardt
1 hour ago, KBlumhardt said:

This part is key. There are several "clue generator" characters in the game (Trish, Mandy, Tony, etc... Jacqueline is my personal favorite) . Don't leave home without one!

If you are into custom characters at all, you can give Astrid Lee (a custom character that I created) a whirl. She lets you respawn clues from the discard pool. This means that you know exactly where they're going to show up (but you'll have to spend them again in order to respawn the same clue). This link also includes 7 other investigators to try out if you're feeling like more variety.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/136533/8-eldritch-horror-custom-thematic-investigators-v1

Edited by Soakman
Oops, forgot the link!

Certain Artifacts and Assets provide clues as well.

Not sure many of those are in the base game, though. Looking through the list on the Wiki, I can only see the Lodge Researcher in Core. FL at least adds the Research student, Intelligence Report and Police ledger.

So, yeah. If you've already parked someone on London, buying your way through the asset deck to one of these might help.

Also, Jacqueline Fine will pretty much ensure that you never need clues again (for spending). When you need to research them, well, then you've got some problems.

For the base game, your only bet for Clue generators are Norman, Jacqueline and Trish.

If you have the other expansions, there are many other good investigators that can place clues on the map (as there are some mysteries that requires you to visit a a spot with a clue to solve it), like Mandy or Carolyn (she starts with an item that generate a clue when she rest)

Roland is another good one, he can spawn a clue without spending an action.

I played Darrell Simmons once in the Dreamlands expansion and he quickly became one of my favourite investigators; he starts with the Camera asset, which means when you spend one clue, you gain one clue. And his passive ability lets you roll 1 additional die on any city space or on any Research encounter.

Active ability is to surf through the asset deck super quickly, which is another bonus.

Edited by Krysmo

The moral of the story is... there are plenty of good options for investigators who can help make sure you have plenty of clues. Always make sure to have one in your party... they're every bit as important as combat characters, in my experience.