How to deal with Khorne?

By Bataar, in Chaos in the Old World

Persoanlly, in the games we've played we've found Khorne has romped it everytime apart from the first time we've played it when Nurgle won. One player, who is a rabid fan of all things Khorne, insists that the way to beat him is for the other players to essentially gang up on him for the first 2, 3 or 4 turns. Fine great idea, and I'm sure it works really well, but don't you just feel that it totally goes against the nature of the game that the other powers would in any way work in co-operation.

For my worth, I would have been happy if the errata had stated that the card was wrong and that the example on page 23 of the rule book was wrong. Khorne would be slowed down quite a bit if he had to get two kills to score a Dial Token, and I think make things more balanced. I just don;t like the idea of the other powers working together, it just doesn't feel right.

Ganging up against Khorne can be done most easily by just running away. Deny him double-ticks the first two turns, hell, deny him any ticks if you can and Khorne's dial-win is outta window. Of course, Khorne can pursue a VP strategy, though if he doesn't use his Warriors to try and hit the Cultists of other Gods (thus costing him PPs), Slaanesh or Tzeentch will romp via dial or VPs and Nurgle via VP.

Folks, it is simply not true that Khorne is overpowered. Over at boardgamegeek.com there is a thread with accumulated statistics of 4player-game wins and guess what: Khorne is in the lead but just barely with all three other gods very close behind. Actually, I just checked again and Slaanesh is now first.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/490003/accumulating-statistics-how-many-wins-for-each-c

It also should never be necessary to openly gang up on Khorne just to prevent him from winning. Expereinced players will CONSTANTLY monitor all the other gods and immediatly try to balance them.

Khorne is getting ready for some mean killing on turn 1? - Everyone independently starts checking what he can do to prevent double tick.

Oh wait! It seems Tzeentch will benefit if I play that one last card that will certainly deny Khorne the chance to get a tick and I really don't want Tzeentch to double tick either. - Won't play that card and try to ensure noone (but me if feasable) will double tick on turn 1.

Khorne is likely to get a bouble tick again on turn 2?! Hell, let's do something about it. Let's see.... ah, if I, Tzeentch, prevent him from getting just one tick he certainly won't double tick. Crap, I can't teleport his warriors away since he has got two in each region where he is present. Ah, why don't I just teleport that solitary Slaanesh cultist away so Khorne won't have anything to kill in that particular region and I will dump the cultist in that region full of Nurgle's followers so he will most likely get killed.

Etc.

Really, Khorne can seem too strong at the begining. But very much depends on how you play this game. Each player needs to be fully aware of what every god is good at and where the individual weaknesses lay. Don't have open diplomacy - it is not necessary and actually makes for a less interesting game. Once everyone understands how the game (not just his god) has to be played every god will have a chance of winning. Much will depend on luck at this point - but that is not really a problem in a multiplayer high-interaction game.

My group (well over 10 games by now) found that Khorne seemed quite strong in our early games. Right now he can be the most frustrating god of all to play. He depends on luck with the dice more than anyone else. If he goes after everyone else he will inevitably get the highest share of nasty chaos cards.

Lastly, once a group has accepted that Khorne is unstoppable there is a real danger of this becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy. It takes some time to adapt to a new god so playing the same one a few times is a good idea to get the strategy right.

Judge Devs said:

Persoanlly, in the games we've played we've found Khorne has romped it everytime apart from the first time we've played it when Nurgle won. One player, who is a rabid fan of all things Khorne, insists that the way to beat him is for the other players to essentially gang up on him for the first 2, 3 or 4 turns. Fine great idea, and I'm sure it works really well, but don't you just feel that it totally goes against the nature of the game that the other powers would in any way work in co-operation.

For my worth, I would have been happy if the errata had stated that the card was wrong and that the example on page 23 of the rule book was wrong. Khorne would be slowed down quite a bit if he had to get two kills to score a Dial Token, and I think make things more balanced. I just don;t like the idea of the other powers working together, it just doesn't feel right.

Agreed x 1000. The FAQ shocked me deeply, as I expected it to actually be the other way around re. Khorne's threat dial advancement and even Slaanesh's. Only played two games so far though (Khorne's won both, despite us ganging up on him half way through the second), so we'll see how things pan out!

Reading about Khorne supposedly being overpowered is very strange for me. In our games Khorne is the worst god by a large margin. Tzeentch can slap him all around the map and he actually exploits his units to do his dirty work, Slaanesh has so many defensive abilities that Khorne never bothers with him after a few turn into the game and Nurgle is the only one really struggling with Khorne but with good results.

We have played ~15 times now and Khorne has won the least games. So reading here how Khorne must be nerfed and what's wrong with Khorne is a real surprise.

As I've said before, a game which so many different players claim so different win ratios, means that the game is really perfectly balanced, don't you think? gui%C3%B1o.gif

There is no single god where everyone agrees that he is overpowered and every group has its ultimate god that beats the others more easily. In our group Nurgle is the current winning god and some of the players already are calling him broken. Each group has different play styles. If you want to see your win ratio changing, just change your tactics.

For me, Khorne is far FAR from being overpowered. If I tell to my group that there is a discussion going on about Khorne being overpowered they won't believe me at first and then they will laugh, that is for sure.

FragMaster said:

Reading about Khorne supposedly being overpowered is very strange for me. In our games Khorne is the worst god by a large margin. Tzeentch can slap him all around the map and he actually exploits his units to do his dirty work, Slaanesh has so many defensive abilities that Khorne never bothers with him after a few turn into the game and Nurgle is the only one really struggling with Khorne but with good results.

We have played ~15 times now and Khorne has won the least games. So reading here how Khorne must be nerfed and what's wrong with Khorne is a real surprise.

As I've said before, a game which so many different players claim so different win ratios, means that the game is really perfectly balanced, don't you think? gui%C3%B1o.gif

There is no single god where everyone agrees that he is overpowered and every group has its ultimate god that beats the others more easily. In our group Nurgle is the current winning god and some of the players already are calling him broken. Each group has different play styles. If you want to see your win ratio changing, just change your tactics.

For me, Khorne is far FAR from being overpowered. If I tell to my group that there is a discussion going on about Khorne being overpowered they won't believe me at first and then they will laugh, that is for sure.

Agreed. Since my original post when I brought this up, Khorne hasn't won a single game in our group. Slanesh has won most of them with a few by Nurgle and I think Tzeentch has only won one or two. Once everyone starts running away from Khorne and teleporting his warriors away and playing cards that prohibit any battles, Khorne is kind of screwed.

This happened at our place as well, and we realized that we were too focused on stopping Khorne, and forgot to pay attention to the others.

So far it is Tzeentch who has won the least number of games at our house.

You know, there's a discrepency in the book. It says that Khorne needs to slay two beasties to gain an advancement, rather than two. A house rule I put into place (particularly since I play Nurgle) is to say Khorne needs two kills in a region rather than one!

ThulmannFan87 said:

You know, there's a discrepency in the book. It says that Khorne needs to slay two beasties to gain an advancement, rather than two. A house rule I put into place (particularly since I play Nurgle) is to say Khorne needs two kills in a region rather than one!

check the FAQ, it says "one or more enemy figures..."