Character creation with mention of classes and races

By cyberkeith, in Legacy of Dragonholt

Interesting. Very simplified character for RPG, but in depth for boardgame.

No dice, it does seem it will be a diceless game. Combat I imagine will be narrative based on decisions and skill tests. Just not sure how skills will be tested.

Its a bit for me to wrap my head around it being completely diceless.

1 hour ago, Ywingscum said:

No dice, it does seem it will be a diceless game. Combat I imagine will be narrative based on decisions and skill tests. Just not sure how skills will be tested.

I'm also very interested in how the combat will work. I'm hoping to play this with my kids and if there aren't meaningful ways to determine combat outcomes they (and I) might lose interest quickly.

Edited by Uber12
3 hours ago, cyberkeith said:

Character creation with mention of classes and races

Erm, those are not new/interesting parts, further examples of skills and the full character sheet are. Plus the complete run-through of a chargen itself, of course.

3 hours ago, Ywingscum said:

Well, it would be rather absurd for a boxed game by a company this big to require dice without any present in the box to play the game right away...

It's pretty crystal that the "tests" will simply lie in whether your character has the skill or not. And since your only stats are your skills and your stamina (well, your race or your class may occasionally open up options as well), I'm fairly certain combat will not just be deterministic but handled (very quickly) entirely through the CYOA mechanic as well and not by switching into a separate RPG combat mode, i.e. the books will offer a handful of options, some will work better, some not as much, some not at all. I could see stamina being occasionally used to "boost" your chances whenever the books feel like explicitly providing those gambles, or it could be the "currency" you pay to use your item cards, but I find it much more likely that they serve solely as hit points - at the very least that obviously ought to be their primary use. And I am certain that like in Descent 2e the only way for a player character to actually die will be a TPK (total party kill).

The biggest question this news post left me with is in regards to the rule that of the 5-8 skills you choose at character creation 2 have to be from your race's options and 2 have to be from your class's options, with the 1-4 remaining ones being open choices based on the further details you've ascribed to your character. (By the way, I assume 2 "open" skills will be the optimal choice most of the time.) Namely what happens when a skill or two you choose are on both your race list and you class list; they aren't really clear about it IMNSHO. Do they count for both requirements, effectively granting you one or two more open choices? Or do you have to first choose two skills from your race list, then choose two different ones from your class list? And their further description doesn't make it any clearer, as " In the brawlers’ skills, we find a couple skills that are also attributed to dwarves, making this class feel like a natural fit." makes the former sound way more appropriate, but "It seems natural that she would have willpower and history , then brawling and endurance to aid her in her career." reads most definitely like the latter.

Addendum:

11 hours ago, twincast said:

(well, your race or your class may occasionally open up options as well)

Your sex/gender, too, unless they go the easy route of everyone is bisexual.

Good question, not sure how many skills are listed in each class/race to choose from. My 'guess' would be a skill listed in both does not count as two required. Just more of an obvious choice for your chosen character.

I do like the choice of more versatility at the cost of stamina.

16 hours ago, twincast said:

The biggest question this news post left me with is in regards to the rule that of the 5-8 skills you choose at character creation 2 have to be from your race's options and 2 have to be from your class's options, with the 1-4 remaining ones being open choices based on the further details you've ascribed to your character. (By the way, I assume 2 "open" skills will be the optimal choice most of the time.) Namely what happens when a skill or two you choose are on both your race list and you class list; they aren't really clear about it IMNSHO. Do they count for both requirements, effectively granting you one or two more open choices? Or do you have to first choose two skills from your race list, then choose two different ones from your class list?

Would it make any difference? The number of skills is set. You could just as well decide, which skills you want first and then pick a race and class that fit your choice. The lists for races and classes seem pretty broad.

On 21.10.2017 at 2:27 PM, twincast said:

And their further description doesn't make it any clearer, as " In the brawlers’ skills, we find a couple skills that are also attributed to dwarves, making this class feel like a natural fit." makes the former sound way more appropriate, but "It seems natural that she would have willpower and history , then brawling and endurance to aid her in her career." reads most definitely like the latter.

Come to think about it, I guess the first quote could also be interpreted as a "natural (race/class) fit" effectively granting you up to two additional skills from your class list (or your race list, whatever you happen to care more about).

10 hours ago, Samea said:

Would it make any difference? The number of skills is set. You could just as well decide, which skills you want first and then pick a race and class that fit your choice. The lists for races and classes seem pretty broad.

Sure you could, but that isn't my idea of role-playing, no matter how simple - in principle; in practice I'll more or less do exactly that to round out my nieces' party.