Custom Campaign - The ascension of Margath - Third Version

By rugal, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

@rugal - I think our interest in Margath has inspired the latest Road To Legend expansion lol :) - cool that they've done a Margath campaign for that. I can now playtest your game content such as classes in a Margath campaign and your Margath campaign and my Margath RPG campaign inspired by yours - hope that doesn't confuse my brain, three Margath campaigns he he. But dragons are epic so....

Yes, I see that too.

But i'm quite disapointed by the ending of their ;)

Nice work Rugal.

Thanks again for your work. I really apreciate your high quality hard work for the game.

Looking how end up this campaing....maybe we can have the Dark Forest in fisical XD

On 12/10/2018 at 6:09 PM, jotade88 said:

Nice work Rugal.

Thanks again for your work. I really apreciate your high quality hard work for the game.

Looking how end up this campaing....maybe we can have the Dark Forest in fisical XD

I'm doing my best, glad to see you like it.

Let us hope it will !

The campaign should be finished soon.

Third version and Dropbox link

I'm making a start on looking over this for Rugal for any tips on tweaking the writing as Rugal's asked, so if anyone spots anything needing clarifying or any typos (English isn't Rugal's native language) and so on just post it here and I'll add that into the feedback - thanks.

Great job, looks very nice :)

I've updated and balanced a few stuff, should be better now. Hope you all will like it.

The folder in your link is empty :(

I've just filled it up now. Let me know if it works

Thanks for the update! Unfortunately I haven't had the time to try this.
However, to support you a bit, I recreated your cover page to look more like the official booklets. As you used 2551x3295 px for all other pages I did the cover in the same dimensions. Let me know if something needs to be changed.

Ascension_of_Margath_cover.jpg?raw=1

Link to image A4
Link to image A4 with bleeds

Edited by Sadgit

I've balanced some stuff should be better like that now

Edited by rugal

Really big thanks Sadgit ! I used french dimension for print known as A4

Edited by rugal

A4 is really good for printing (at least in Europe). I did the CRRG also in this format. A4 at 300 dpi resolution should give 2480 x 3508 px.

At the moment your old cover page has exactly this dimension. However, all other pages have different dimensions. Most have 2551 x 3295 px which cannot be resized to A4 without distortion.

If you are going to redo the page format at some point I would suggest to use A4 for all pages. If you want to help people to get this printed professionally you need to add so-called "bleeds" of 3 mm to the top, bottom and outer edge (this is the edge that points away from the spine of the printed book). These bleed areas need to contain the background image only, no text or other important stuff. They will be cut away after printing to prevent white edges in the final product.

The final dimensions should be:
A4 w/o bleeds 210 x 297 mm (2480 x 3508 @ 300 dpi)
A4 with bleeds 213 x 303 mm (2516 x 3579 @ 300 dpi)

Let me know if I can help you here.

Edited by Sadgit

I will, indeed !

Shouldn't it be "community campaign" ? it's not really an expansion, in fact.

Edited by rugal

Alright campaign it is.

Will correct that and provide links for A4 and A4 with bleed.

EDIT: Added links in previous post.

Edited by Sadgit

@Sadgit awesome work - do you have anything such as a pre-cutout (transparent background) layer for the Descent logo and adventure title?

or a version split into layers-

anything like that would be really useful for me, impressed with how professional you made it look.

And thanks for the tips- had the same kinds of questions for the booklets I'm working on.

Finally are there specific fonts you need?

Cheers.

Edited by Watercolour Dragon

@watercolor dragon: I am using Adobe software (InDesign, Illustrator and PS) for all images and booklets. The cover page was created in Illustrator using a Descent logo with transparent background and two layers of text (windlass font) on top of each other to get the outlines right. What format do you need the layered image in?

Link to logo

Edited by Sadgit
On 3/12/2019 at 7:51 AM, Sadgit said:

@watercolor dragon: I am using Adobe software (InDesign, Illustrator and PS) for all images and booklets. The cover page was created in Illustrator using a Descent logo with transparent background and two layers of text (windlass font) on top of each other to get the outlines right. What format do you need the layered image in?

Link to logo

I have all those Adobe packages, I really should start trying Illustrator out more - I tend to default to Photoshop and forget there's a lot of useful tools in Illustrator as I'm so used to not having Illustrator for ages it gets overlooked now I do have it!

So most of my projects have been a mix of Photoshop, InDesign, Acrobat (the full editor version) and I intend to start exploring Illustrator more- especially as I'm now looking to make some new maps in the tiled style of Descent, although I may start to experiment with hexes too for area exploration like the new LOTR game, especially once I know more about how they're implementing them, as I'm curious about this. We will get ice, snow, jungle and desert finally. Which is kind of amusing now there are hints we could finally get that from FFG should my reading between the lines of 'Lost Legends' linked into the unused app content and missing first edition heroes prove right. But even if I'm wrong we will have them as my adventures need them! I'm sending the heroes off to Zanaga, Isheim and Al Kalim whatever we're getting or not getting from FFG!

As you have a better skill at getting transparent cutouts than me, one for the Genesys core rulebook and the Realms of Terrinoth sourcebook would be useful if you're able to generate something or advise on the best ways to do so.

Once again thanks.

Is there a 'Broken Rocks - Encounter 1'? Did not see it in the upload.

The page 21 was missing, si I added it right now.

Edited by rugal

By the way, if anyone has a better artwork for the cover, it take it.

On 3/11/2019 at 10:24 AM, Sadgit said:

A4 is really good for printing (at least in Europe). I did the CRRG also in this format. A4 at 300 dpi resolution should give 2480 x 3508 px.

At the moment your old cover page has exactly this dimension. However, all other pages have different dimensions. Most have 2551 x 3295 px which cannot be resized to A4 without distortion.

If you are going to redo the page format at some point I would suggest to use A4 for all pages. If you want to help people to get this printed professionally you need to add so-called "bleeds" of 3 mm to the top, bottom and outer edge (this is the edge that points away from the spine of the printed book). These bleed areas need to contain the background image only, no text or other important stuff. They will be cut away after printing to prevent white edges in the final product.

The final dimensions should be:
A4 w/o bleeds 210 x 297 mm (2480 x 3508 @ 300 dpi)
A4 with bleeds 213 x 303 mm (2516 x 3579 @ 300 dpi)

Let me know if I can help you here.

EDIT- just realised your post covers this, outer edge only, however another consideration might be allowing enough space that the binding side doesn't lose any content when bound then viewed, certain bindings might make some of this a somewhat unusable area, such as if you're stapling it or comb binding it on the margin using loose A4 sheets rather than a folded double A4 spread, so sticking with the question regarding if any space for the binding is needed. I notice some magazines have a sort of binding area bleed in case the staples are slightly off which sometimes happens (in this case with the staples through the fold rather than through the margin). So perhaps on this note also would designing it as an A3 to be folded be an option (although the A4 may be easier for people wanting to print at home)? Again I've not had items professionally printed - would the A4 or A3 be easier for pro printing? Any of you have experience of the different binding modes?

Original post:

Just noticed - @Sadgit - should the 'with bleeds' be 216 x 303, think you've only added one margin to the 210.

Although depends if you're adding it the same to both right and left of pages (may need to tweak perhaps, depending on if stapling or binding in some other way, wondering if you may need more space on insides of pages, perhaps may need some thinking on how you planned to assemble the finished article?)

As always if anyone has any useful knowledge to share on this please do so.

I have a similar question for producing any double sided material such as cards/tiles etc, have any of you found any 'best solutions' for ensuring both sides line up/ dealing with double sided printing and also with getting things such as tile grids the correct size?

Edited by Watercolour Dragon
part solved :)
On 4/5/2019 at 2:48 PM, rugal said:

The page 21 was missing, si I added it right now.

Page 29 is missing too.

Hi Rugal, the Dropbox link doesn't exist anymore, any chance of getting a reupload to your campaign?