Catfolk Confusion

By twincast, in Legacy of Dragonholt

So, it feels like they've been mentioned once or twice before, but the only example I can think of is the half-katjie hero Lyssa (who looks like a feral human in her old illustration and like a grown-up catgirl in her new one), and now we have an illustration of a hyrrinx that looks like a bipedal lynx... Firstly, does anyone remember any other occurrences? And secondly, what are we supposed to make of the different looks and names? Obviously Lyssa's old design is irrelevant, but are there now two or more species of catfolk where katjie look like "normal" cats and hyrrinx like lynxes/loxes, or has the former been fully retconned into the latter? The description on the Legacy of Dragonholt page very much makes it sound like the second option, which I'd find rather disappointing to be honest. Well, I guess one could explain the discrepancy by defining "katjie" as a culture and having all sorts of bipedal felines represented among the "hyrrinx" race, giving it (ludicrously) exceptional phenotypic variance. Or maybe of catfolk Terrinoth only has hyrrinx in noteworthy (yet still small) numbers, whereas (full-blooded) katjie usually only ever roam elsewhere on Mennara. ...I'm just spitballing at this point. Anyone else?

I have zero knowledge of catfolk in Runebound. But I'm hoping it's bipedal big cats and a variety. When I was a kid I made a game around this in the fashion of planet of the apes.

yes I'm a special one :)

I might be wrong, but when I read Cat I thought of the hero Maliki the Claw from the Runebound Second Edition expansion Mists of Zanaga. Who is basically a humanoid lion that is pretty BA. So hopefully that's another example but again. It's from the second addition, and I might be out to lunch.

And so the confusion increases... :wacko:

do Catfolk speak japanese?

The illustration is a hyrrinx, while Lyssa (third edition) clearly qualifies as a half catfolk (who have feline features but who aren’t covered in fur) so I don’t think there’s any problems there.

Maliki looks very different than the hyrrinx illustration but could just be a different “sub-race”