Razor-Edged quality name is somewhat misleading

By Nitroxylin, in Legend of the Five Rings Roleplaying Game Beta

Also, to make it little clearer, a roll step-by-step.

First, you declare your INTENT. This could be "I want to make dinner", or "I want to attack this Oni". At this point, you probably shouldn't go into specific details like "I want to cut its head off". Well, you could say that, but it's not binding in any way, and your GM should probably tell you to hold your horses.

After that, you and your GM figure out the skill, ring and TN combination.

Next, you roll the dice. And here is where you should make the decisions like "I want to cut its head off", "I want to make it extra spicy and for 3 people", and so on. The dice give you cloth from which you weave the result, and mutually exclusive options that can happen. Narratively, your warrior is in the split-second moment of deciding what they are going to do within the context of ever-shifting tides of battle (represented by TN vs available dice results). This IS the primary and most important decision point of the turn. What to keep and what to do with what I keep?

In previous games, that Big Decision Point would be at "declare INTENT" step. After that, you could just basically push a button and see "yes/no" result from a dice roller. What was important was picking proper stance, deciding to spend Void PREroll, declare any Raises, etc. Now, you first roll, then decide what to do with the hand that Fate has given you. Keep 3 is enough to give you hard choices - do you keep 2 successes and 1 opportunity to hit the dude and debuff his armor by 2, or do you keep 2 opportunities and debuff it by 4, hoping that extra 2 damage from everyone else in the battle will be worth sacrificing your own damage this turn? Or maybe you should Seize The Moment and hope that you will roll an extra success (50% of that happening, after all), which would allow you to keep 2 Successes, 2 Opportunities, and Crit?
Or maybe you rolled 2 successes 2 opportunities yourself, and you are contemplating if its worth to Seize The Moment to be able to KEEP 4th dice.

Or maybe you are facing an Oni with Armor 5, and you rolled OppSuccess, Success, and Opportunity, allowing you to crit the ugly bugger, making its future rolls suck and possibly saving lives of your companions. Price?

Damaging your katana.

Camera spotlight and narrative focus is on "Roll" and "Keep" steps of resolving the roll, not on the Intent.

Edited by WHW

Maybe they should explicitly state that standard upkeep repairs damaged, but not destroyed great so that we know we're playing it correctly following your examples @WHW