Is this... an RPG or a tabletop game?

By Mrsuitcase, in Legacy of Dragonholt

Just curious what this game is. It seems like an RPG more than a tabletop game. Am I getting something wrong?

Look similar to those books where you are the hero or "game books" from the 80s, but with more depth and story.

Could scratch that nostalgic itch for me but i am not quite sure yet. I'll have to read the future articles to make up my mind.

Legacy of Dragonholt is a new style of game: the narrative adventure game. Its unique, intuitive system borrows elements from roleplaying games and adventure board games, open world video games, and even Choose Your Own Adventure books to create an expansive story experience.

When playing RPG I always wanted something more structured, playing board games wanted something more in depth. For me, this is good, kinda a hybrid RPG/board games

3 hours ago, Ywingscum said:

When playing RPG I always wanted something more structured, playing board games wanted something more in depth. For me, this is good, kinda a hybrid RPG/board games

Well, count me in as interested then.

21 hours ago, Ywingscum said:

Exactly my feelings. I really hope this is a success. Would love to explore more in the Terrinoth Universe. With that said i would absolutely love a setting in Star Wars and Game of Thrones.

"Adventure Game", I like that.

I enjoyed reading many CYOA books in the 80's and this seems like a fun game. I haven't dipped my toes into the Runebound universe...yet. This seems like it may be the most affordable way to "buy in". As long as the expansions(?) aren't too spendy, I'm in!

1 hour ago, dewbie420 said:

As long as the expansions(?) aren't too spendy, I'm in!

I frankly doubt there'll be expansions as such, just different stand-alone games using the Oracle System, some set in Terrinoth, some not, as this box has almost nothing that could be reused as a base requirement - the thin rule and chargen booklets, the activation tokens and maybe half of the 20 item cards. Also, "Legacy of Dragonholt" sounds to me too specific to get subtitles. Maybe there'll be a single direct follow-up expansion to this campaign, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I would expect new adventures as expansions. The game comes with 6. I'm sure there will be more.

Those six adventures form a campaign with the order largely dictated by players' actions in the village book. I don't see how you would add individual adventures to that. Sure, I guess you could throw out in rather quick succession booklets with no connection to any campaign, but one of the big selling points of this game is the complexity of its CYOA mechanic, which they can't really live up to with single books.

To slightly expand on my point: Expansions are supposed to offer an improved - or at least different - experience, not be pale shadows of the base game.

It could happen. PDFs would be a good way to offer expansions.

The recent preview described it as a 's tandalone game'; is there any other possible meaning for this, other than that it'll just be this box and no expansions?

I guess the actual rules of the game will be very few and easy and that the booklets and the other components will carry most parts of the game. That could mean that there will be other stand-alone games just like this that offer different stories but do not require this game.

On 19/10/2017 at 8:56 AM, Helicon said:

The recent preview described it as a 's tandalone game'; is there any other possible meaning for this, other than that it'll just be this box and no expansions?

That only means you dont need anything else tobplay it. It doesnt mean expansions wont be a thing in the future.

The product code is ORA01, which makes me think that small expansions which directly extend Legacy of Dragonholt will not be the main focus of the product line.

Whether the Oracle system is going to be used for other settings or will only be used for more adventures in Terrinoth is probably something only FFG know at the moment.

The closest thing this comes to is Fabled Lands by Dave Morris and Jamie Thompson. Essentially you have six books each detailing a section of the world. However, you can go back and forth between the books. Like, if you're in Book 2, you can board a ship to go to Book 3. At this point Book 7 has been written and will likely be available for sale in a couple-three months.

That said, this appears to be one fairly big campaign, while Fabled Lands is more of an open world exploration with no set agenda.

On 10/22/2017 at 4:03 PM, Assussanni said:

The product code is ORA01, which makes me think that small expansions which directly extend Legacy of Dragonholt will not be the main focus of the product line.

Whether the Oracle system is going to be used for other settings or will only be used for more adventures in Terrinoth is probably something only FFG know at the moment.

prolly depends completely on sales. even before asmodee took over FFG hardly supported games which didn't make enough money (RIP runage & infiltration).

On 10/31/2017 at 4:11 AM, johntfs said:

The closest thing this comes to is Fabled Lands by Dave Morris and Jamie Thompson. Essentially you have six books each detailing a section of the world. However, you can go back and forth between the books. Like, if you're in Book 2, you can board a ship to go to Book 3. At this point Book 7 has been written and will likely be available for sale in a couple-three months.

That said, this appears to be one fairly big campaign, while Fabled Lands is more of an open world exploration with no set agenda.

Fabled Lands seems to be much deeper and meatier though.

6 hours ago, Erekose said:

Fabled Lands seems to be much deeper and meatier though.

Much more so. I mean those were novel width books whereas these are perhaps the size of a Twilight Imperium instruction manual.

1 hour ago, power500500 said:

Much more so. I mean those were novel width books whereas these are perhaps the size of a Twilight Imperium instruction manual.

Fabled Lands? Any good?

1 hour ago, VAYASAN said:

Fabled Lands? Any good?

Very! It was an open world experience and a very good one at that. Excellent storytelling, dice rolling skill checks, and you can get the books on Amazon for like $8 each.

8 hours ago, power500500 said:

Very! It was an open world experience and a very good one at that. Excellent storytelling, dice rolling skill checks, and you can get the books on Amazon for like $8 each.

Thanks, sounds interesting ill look it up.

Im new to FFG stuff pretty much and thought Dragonholt looked amazing(some of it does) but the combat simplicity is making me wonder......

Is Fabled lands easy enough to play and co op?(sorry for going off Dragonholt topic, last post about Fabled land).

10 hours ago, VAYASAN said:

Thanks, sounds interesting ill look it up.

Im new to FFG stuff pretty much and thought Dragonholt looked amazing(some of it does) but the combat simplicity is making me wonder......

Is Fabled lands easy enough to play and co op?(sorry for going off Dragonholt topic, last post about Fabled land).

Well it’s one of the old game books that were so fun to play. It’s not really a “game” per se, just as Dragonholt isn’t, it’s about the story you make for yourself (Though FL is more of a game since there is dice rolling mechanics and such). Fabled Lands is not a coop experience however. After looking a bit more at how LoD has done coop though I consider this a pro for FL.

The only thing turning me off are the well-intended activation tokens, and solely for a single player experience it's too expensive in my book...

Anyway, the game now finally has an entry on Board Game Geek (in addition to the one on RPG Geek ).

Edited by twincast