Changes to Deadliness attribute in Finishing Blow

By Monkey Bloke, in Rules Questions

Under certain conditions the deadliness of a weapon can change, most commonly from a single handed or dual handed grip, but also from some techniques.

When duelling, a finishing blow doubles the deadliness of the weapon, how does, this interact with the bonuses.

For example, a Kakita duelist strikes a finishing blow against his opponent, scoring one bonus success.

His katana has deadliness 5, with +2 for a 2 handed grip. His Way of the Crane also allows him to adjust the severity of the critical strike.

When doubling the deadlines of the katana, are we doubling 5 to 10 and then adding +2 for the two handed grip, or doubling 7?

When adding in the bonuses is the hit severity 14 or 16?

As per the rules:

the finishing blow inflicts a critical strike with severity equal to two times the deadliness of the weapon or Attack action used plus the attacker’s bonus successes. Any other effects of the Attack action are resolved as normal

To me this would imply you'd double the 5+2 to 14, but it also feels like finishing blows are way too deadly, and should actually be avoided if you don't intend to kill or permanently disfigure your opponent. The fact that cutting off someone's hand deals no damage also seems inexplicable to me.

I mean it's sort of irrelevant, isn't it? Compare to: "You take 5 damage. Also, your head is severed." But I see your point :) There was an old system (Role-Master) that also had the same idea of divorcing "damage" (Called concussion hits) and various criticals (arm removed). One system, in this case wounds, is simply there to determine when you fall over, and become vulnerable to a telling blow. The other generates specific effects, which might or might not also incapacitate you based on the result. One could certainly argue that some wounds should also be sustained, but the wound scale is so short I guess they figured it was not really worth the trouble.

The grip affect the weapon profile. so a Katana has deadliness 7. not 5 + 2 (Which could make a difference, if you doubled 5 first and then added 2.)

I dont know about the way of the crane. If its multiplied. if you add at the final. if a Kakita rank 5 being parried has 9 severity or 4 just like anybody else.

Something to make it clearer would be nice

21 hours ago, Mobiusllls said:

The grip affect the weapon profile. so a Katana has deadliness 7. not 5 + 2 (Which could make a difference, if you doubled 5 first and then added 2.)

I dont know about the way of the crane. If its multiplied. if you add at the final. if a Kakita rank 5 being parried has 9 severity or 4 just like anybody else.

Something to make it clearer would be nice

Way of the crane modifies the severity of the resulting critical, not the dealiness of the weapon inflicting it.

So it'd be deadliness 15 (5+2 doubled, plus your school rank of 1)

I'm not sure which order the fitness test, way of the crane, way of the crab and parrying apply though.

Edited by Magnus Grendel