Advanced Campaign Planetary map prototype

By shnar, in Doom

Hey all, just to give you heads up, I've created the first "layout" of the Advanced Campaign Planetary Map. This is more just an idea of where Outposts and Sectors will be. There are no other details (like Outpost Special abilities, the encounter dangers, etc), those will come later.

Doom Advanced Campaign Planetary Map

So, what do you think? Layout works? Is it varied enough too be interesting? etc. If you haven't read the rules yet, to travel between planets you "teleport" at an outpost. There's a chance the teleporter will fail though and the marines will have an Encounter In Hell where they race to the other side. If they emerge, they end up at the outpost they were teleporting to. If they flee, they're back where they were and their week ends.

-shnar

Overall looks pretty cool!

The pathing on Io and Titan seems a bit too linear for my tastes (marines don't have much choice in where they go.) By comparison, the pathing on Phobos and Deimos and Mars is much better. That's just my opinion, of course. =)

I wanted to have a few Sectors that would be harder to get to, since you can "port" to the Outpost and don't have to travel that far to get to a sector. That was my attempt at Io/Titan. Looking at it again today, I think I like how Titan looks (i.e. the Crater is 3 sectors away from the nearest outpost) but I might rework Io to have the two outposts touch even (similar to Tamalir and that northern city, can't remember its name).

If I rework Io, there are only two sectors that are 3 away, the Crater on Titan and the Evacuation Site on on Mars. I'm wondering if this will make things too easy? Probably not and only playtesting will tell, just looking at how it compares to RtL...

-shnar

Good work on this...looks very cool. Would the specific locations be smaller, tiered missions, much like the smaller, three tiered dungeons in Descent Road to Legend?

Exactly. This is my attempt at creating an Advanced Campaign for Doom. There's a whole bunch of threads over on BGG describing a lot of details. So far, I've created a rulebook and a couple missions (Sector Levels, similar to Dungeon Levels in RtL) and I figured I should piece together a "overland map", dubbed the Planetary Map in this game. You travel on the map similar to RtL, during a "game week" the marine squad can move one space on one planet, which has a random chance of an encounter (similar to RtL), and explore the Sectors of that planet and find out why there is no more communication (i.e. similar to exploring a dungeon in RtL). They can also choose to teleport to another planet, which has a random chance of the teleporter malfunctioning and causing the marines to have a random Encounter In Hell.

I'm trying to get to the point where a group could start playtesting the game (i.e. one Avatar, Avatar Upgrades, handful of Lieutenants, a few Encounters and Locations, Encounters In Hell, and Sector Levels) while I finish everything. It's slow going but any progress is good :)

-shnar