Starting Gear

By Magnus Grendel, in Proofreading

• Multiple schools provide 'spear' instead of 'yari' or 'bow' instead of 'yumi' (I'm assuming that a Doji diplomat wouldn't be using a crossbow).
  • The Ikoma Bard has the option of a Tessen (War Fan) which is not mentioned anywhere else in the document (and a battlefield signal fan would be more apt for the Akodo Commander, anyway).

There will likely be several different spears and bows in the full list. Jumonji, katakama and others will likely be added.

The Tessen often seen in L5R are technically Gunbai. Tessen actually referring to metal folding fans and would likely have the Subtle quality.

11 hours ago, Ultimatecalibur said:

There will likely be several different spears and bows in the full list. Jumonji, katakama and others will likely be added.

The Tessen often seen in L5R are technically Gunbai. Tessen actually referring to metal folding fans and would likely have the Subtle quality.

Which is fine, but doesn't change the fact that in the beta, at least, I have the option of an item which currently has no rules - either add the rules or remove the option.

And I also agree with the comment on spears. The thing I would note is that not every player knows much about the setting; having given schools start with a 'yari' rather than a 'spear' is a lot easier when some players may not know that a yari is a type of spear. If the later intent is to have 'spear weapons' as a category (and more importantly some descriptive text and artwork), the problem will solve itself.