Falling Avalanche style

By Magnus Grendel, in Rules Questions

Given that Falling avalanche works with heavy blunt force trauma weapons, is there a reason the otsuchi (which is a doublehanded warhammer if I'm right) isn't on the list of allowable weapons.

In fact, to allow for future weapons in expansion books, it might be better to instead specify a minimum damage and maximum deadliness to qualify rather than list specific weapons

You mean Rushing Avalanche? dont really like the minimum damage and maximum deadliness suggestion. and i personally dont think that a staff is a HEAVY BLUNT weapon

And the problem with saying just "blunt weapons" is that this means you could use it with lots of improved weapons. (which would make a cup more damaging than a katana in the hands of a rank 5 character.)

35dd7e6e70176d4709127e37e953beb0.jpg

But is is explicitly a 'blunt force trauma' technique, so not using it with a katana is fair - but I agree improvised weapons shouldnt be useable, which is why minimum damage (or some other control) might help.

Yeah i know, i pictured that scene too. And in particular one know game designer would love that this was the case lol.

I'm okay with taking the simple approach of any blunt weapons working, maybe the damage for missing cant be superior than the damage to actually succeeding? think that would settle the cup problem.

4 minutes ago, Mobiusllls said:

Yeah i know, i pictured that scene too. And in particular one know game designer would love that this was the case lol.

I'm okay with taking the simple approach of any blunt weapons working, maybe the damage for missing cant be superior than the damage to actually succeeding? think that would settle the cup problem.

• Agreed - you definitely shouldnt be able to do more damage by missing!
  • That's not an issue for most low-level bushi: this came up in the first place because level 1 hida defenders (signature weapon option otsuchi) get early access to the kata but can't use it with a warhammer, which seems wierd.
  • The problem is, how do you define blunt weapons in the rules. 'Not Razor-Edged' is as close as I can think but that still jncludes some sharp weapons.
On 10/8/2017 at 4:05 PM, Magnus Grendel said:

Given that Falling avalanche works with heavy blunt force trauma weapons, is there a reason the otsuchi (which is a doublehanded warhammer if I'm right) isn't on the list of allowable weapons.

In fact, to allow for future weapons in expansion books, it might be better to instead specify a minimum damage and maximum deadliness to qualify rather than list specific weapons

Rushing avalanche specifies a "tetsubo, maul, or staff". Given that a 'maul' isn't on the weapons list, but a maul is, in fact, a "large hammer", I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be an otsuchi, and there was just a terminology glitch. And "tetsubo, otsuchi and staff" would be all of the two-handed, non-improvised, blunt weapons - which seems like as good as a qualifier as anything for the kata.

5 hours ago, LuxVeritatis said:

Rushing avalanche specifies a "tetsubo, maul, or staff". Given that a 'maul' isn't on the weapons list, but a maul is, in fact, a "large hammer", I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be an otsuchi, and there was just a terminology glitch. And "tetsubo, otsuchi and staff" would be all of the two-handed, non-improvised, blunt weapons - which seems like as good as a qualifier as anything for the kata.

A fair point. I was thinking of 'maul' as representing 'club', which is another weapon on the list, but if the maul is supposed to be an otsuchi, then fair enough (it's just a typo needing correction).