Fire rune and Meagan embedded

By Jukey, in Runewars Rules Questions

Not sure if this is a stretch, but here goes. Meagans embedded ability effects melee and ranged attacks, fire rune says perform a ranged attack with one red die. Does Meagan add to fire rune attack?

Can you expand on what you mean? Her lethal ability just adds to the damage pool, so after dice rolled and threat worked out. Her surge ability does 1 damage per surge spent at triangle runes (one day I'll bother to learn their names) distance, including the unit targeted because it is within range of its self. Are you asking does that surge damage get added to Fire Rune's damage therefore being multiplied by triangle runes threat?

I'm wondering if I can apply the lethal damage as well as the fire rune damage. The surge option as well, however chances are low and it would only be one splash damage.

If the lethal damage can be applied it would be interesting. I'm just wondering if fire rune qualifies as an attack and therefore gains Meagan options. I might have just answered my own question...

potential 10 damage, 4 unstable runes with double hit on die, plus two green runes adding lethal 2.

Edited by Jukey

I have tried to find justification for Fire Rune NOT being treated as a normal attack, but I can't find one. The only difference Fire Rune makes is that it changes your dice and threat.

Oh man... here's the crazy idea this gave me.

3x2 Archers

• Upgrade%20-%20Maegan%20Cyndewin.png
  • Upgrade%20-%20Frontline%20Aymhelin%20Scion.png
  • Upgrade%20-%20Fire%20Rune.png
  • Upgrade%20-%20Hunters%20Guile.png

2 Ranged Attacks per round Maegan adds her bonus to both of them.

You can not only replace the initial Blue Die with a White Die and re-roll them 3 times.

But you can also replace the Red Die with a White Die for surge MADNESS. Also I don't think I've ever used it this way, but you can re-roll that fire rune 3 times with this setup can't you??

I'd also give Malcorne's Bequest to Aliana in this situation to control the Unstable Energy (Triangles - I got u @Thornoo1 )

At 4 Unstable and 2 Natural your maximum damage in a turn is this:

Ranged Attack:

[White Die]- Double Surge + [Blue Die] Double Surge = 4 Damage to every unit within Range 4 including the target.

Add Stun Token

Fire Rune

[White Die]- Double Hit + 2 Lethal = 10 Damage to target unit

EDIT: Granted, the white die for both of these in this scenario just gives you more options and less chance of whiffing but the 8 sided dice are going to give you better probability to hit this exact scenario

Edited by Wraithist

Say there's 4 units within range including the target.

That's 26 Damage total off of three dice...

Did we just break runewars?

Honestly, I think the average damage potential probably isn't too excessive, but I'm definitely trying this.

@Wraithist I'm still wrapping my head around that combo, but as far as your question on rerolls, I think you would get to reroll the red die twice after the initial roll - once for Precise 1 and once for a second rank.

I'd skip the whole white die shenanigans. I've been theory crafting:

Meagan, Malcorne's Bequest

3x2 Derpwood, Frontline Scion, Fire Rune, Storm Sorceress, Simul Orders x 2

That gives you 36 points to play around with. Maybe two Scions with Vicious Roots? Maybe a 2x2 of Leonx and upgrades?

I hadn't twigged to the Maegan/Fire Rune shenanigans, but I've had more than one person share their displeasure at the thought of facing it! Giving Aliana Malcorne's Bequest raises some interesting fluff questions, but mechanics-wise it's inspired!

@Wraithist and I were playing with probability and with as many rerolls as you get, your basically 50/50 on getting at least one hit marker on fire runes with a red die.

On 07/10/2017 at 8:14 PM, Jukey said:

Did we just break runewars?

Honestly, I think the average damage potential probably isn't too excessive, but I'm definitely trying this.

Not broken, but quite powerful. 2x2 archers, Maegan & Fire Rune bring the hurt, but they really suffer to reanimate archer blight engines.

Powerful, but very much dependent on certain factors being just so. You need Unstable runes *and* you need to be at range of overgrown terrain. Not insurmountable, but since your opponent knows this, they can counterplay and avoid the worst of it.

I like it.

t So I got around to trying this, and...... it's pretty meh.. faced off against Daqan, and even on turns when they didn't armor up damage was minimal. The combo is fun but it lacks strength. 2 surges and a damage got me 2 threat and 2 splash damage, but that's only one tray from a death star and 1 horse from cav. Maybe it'll improve in a 3x2 but for now it's back to wind runes and storm sorceress for me.

I tried Meagan out today with just her own fluff upgrades and wasnt super impressed. The lack of brutal and precise see her damage output fairly low, and then all of those very close range effects have no discernible impact on the game. I think I'll just put the daddy's bequeath on Alania and be done with it.

She's not always great, but I've found she's super good when you stick her in a terrain in the middle of the battle with Arcane Mastery. The terrain extends the range quite a bit and makes it easy to light everything up with tokens. I agree though that I have found Aliana to be more impactful so far (get it?)

Edited by Willange

That's unfortunate to hear it didn't work out. I haven't tested it yet, but was settling on a list that looked like:

2x2 Derpwood, Meagan, Fire Rune, CQT

2x2 Derpwood, Blackthorn, Fire Rune (Assassin can spit out two Blight the first time you shoot)

Aliana, Bequest, Wildcalls Instinct (My favorite upgrade in the game)

2x3 Leonx, Column Tactics, Ravens Tabard

Scion, Vicious Roots

Gives you one blocker with the treeman, Aliana as a flanker, a hammer with the cat rider, and then some janky shooting units. I still think there can be some serious value with Maegan in a unit, especially when they are shooting twice. Someone here had mentioned before that they approach games with the thought of taking a least one tray from every unit, and I've started to adopt that mentality because it gives you the chance to really open up your tournament MoV, as the first tray taken from a unit is usually significant points for a relatively low investment of resources. Maegan amplifies that

So does the Lethal add to the splash damage from the surges , so if 3 green runes does each surge cause 4 damage

51 minutes ago, undercoverdemon said:

So does the Lethal add to the splash damage from the surges , so if 3 green runes does each surge cause 4 damage

No.

Lethal only adds damage to the damage pool, which only exists as part of resolving an attack directly against a unit.

The surge ability isn't an attack, it just causes units to suffer damage.

Side note: the surge damage is also unhindered by the protected keyword, as it's not an attack.

On ‎07‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:06 AM, Wraithist said:

3x2 Archers

You can not only replace the initial Blue Die with a White Die and re-roll them 3 times.

But you can also replace the Red Die with a White Die for surge MADNESS. Also I don't think I've ever used it this way, but you can re-roll that fire rune 3 times with this setup can't you??

that Maegan upgrade is for calv only it says.

On 10/7/2017 at 0:06 PM, Wraithist said:

3x2 Archers

ReRoll twice, not 3x , and hunters Guile is extremely restrictive with respect to position. Red to white has less chance of a double hit as well, but does have a mortal strike. Fire rune can do some work though, some games. Others, not at all. Fire rune also favours smaller formation, really, given the altered threat.

Edited by Darthain