Suggestion to FFG: 5th edition L5R designer diaries

By Nitenman, in Legend of the Five Rings Roleplaying Game Beta

So its been couple of days now that beta has been released and a majority here may agree that some choices seem odd or hard to understand what was the intent behind some mechanics (like void, some Kata, stances, TN2, outburst...). It's probably because we lack context. Many of us come from AEG era and have no experience with FFG philosophy.

It could be helpful if dev team was publishing short articles to give us insight on their motivation for some choices. Might make also beta feedback more efficient.

I am not sure that FFG will do that, but I would like if they wold take the time to do that. Even though I think I have a pretty good understanding for what they were going for, but I am an aspiring game designer myself and work on quite a few similar game mechanics, so I could try to make analytical posts about how I perceive the things FFG did, but that would then just my interpretations, and I doubt people would like to read some random gal on the internet, but prefer answers from the mouth of the authors.

That's actually one of the things I like a lot about some of the other publishing companies, it's always nice to see how they get from one point to another. I know Onyx path publishes those weekly through the initial development of their material, and leave a place for members of the community to comment on the process. Heck somtimes they even use soem of the feedback in the process to.

3 hours ago, Mirumoto Seiichiro said:

That's actually one of the things I like a lot about some of the other publishing companies, it's always nice to see how they get from one point to another. I know Onyx path publishes those weekly through the initial development of their material, and leave a place for members of the community to comment on the process. Heck somtimes they even use soem of the feedback in the process to.

Onyx Path does this very poorly and not continuously at all. Their usual procrastination of kickstarters like Exalted is legendary without informing their backers. Communication with the backers is disastrous and promises often obviously false leading. Of all companies I would definately not mention Onyx Path as an example of excellent information exchange.