Iron Forest Style

By Kakita Renju, in Rules Questions

P109 : Iron Forest Style Description: A bushi versed in the spear can control their spacing with their opponent very efficiently, forcing their foe to risk impalement each time they advance or catching loose clothes or stray body parts on the head of the weapon. Akodo’s Leadership refers to such a technique as the Iron Forest style, turning the length of a single spear into an insurmountable gap for a would-be attacker. Prerequisites: School rank 2 XP Cost: 2 Activation: When you make a Martial Arts [Melee] check using a spear, naginata, or other polearm, you may spend  in the following way: : One target of your action becomes pinned until the beginning of your next turn. While pinned, if the target attempts to move closer to you, the target must resist with a TN 4 Fitness (Air 2, Water 5) check . The target suffers physical damage equal to their  on the check. If the target fails, they cannot move closer.

What does that exactly mean: "TN 4 Fitness (Air 2, Water 5)" is it a TN 2 if i use air , or is it TN 2 if opponent resist with air?

1 hour ago, Kakita Renju said:

P109 : Iron Forest Style Description: A bushi versed in the spear can control their spacing with their opponent very efficiently, forcing their foe to risk impalement each time they advance or catching loose clothes or stray body parts on the head of the weapon. Akodo’s Leadership refers to such a technique as the Iron Forest style, turning the length of a single spear into an insurmountable gap for a would-be attacker. Prerequisites: School rank 2 XP Cost: 2 Activation: When you make a Martial Arts [Melee] check using a spear, naginata, or other polearm, you may spend  in the following way: : One target of your action becomes pinned until the beginning of your next turn. While pinned, if the target attempts to move closer to you, the target must resist with a TN 4 Fitness (Air 2, Water 5) check . The target suffers physical damage equal to their  on the check. If the target fails, they cannot move closer.

What does that exactly mean: "TN 4 Fitness (Air 2, Water 5)" is it a TN 2 if i use air , or is it TN 2 if opponent resist with air?

It means when the target makes their Resist check the TN is determined by their Stance, not yours: so it's as follows:

Fitness (Air): 2

Fitness (Earth): 4

Fitness (Fire): 4

Fitness (Water): 5

Fitness (Void): 4

Edited by Richardbuxton

Oh that what this means? Thanks! had the same doubt.

Now in such situation, should we hide the Tn? Because first player to find out he gets a TN2 with air might always declare his resistance to such attack a Air approach.

Also if pinning is your weapon "locked" for the remainder of the round?

it depends the stance ,that you are in !

Because it's generally used during a Conflict Scene the Stance declared in by the Target in their previous turn is what's used. So Using the Air Stance will be a benefit here, but may have drawbacks elsewhere.

Basicly you don't get to decide the Ring your Resisting with after the attack was made, your decision comes before.

ok. I need to reread the stance part.

actually to reread the whole combat part. :)

@richardbuxton mate you've been super helpful over the last hour . I'm out of likes, else you would have got plenty :)

Edited by Nitenman

For poor frenchies like we are, it's not easy to grasp everything in the first reading ^^
French version : Mais en gros pour faire simple apres avoir choisit une stance ,tu fais tout tes jets avec l'anneau en question jusqu'au début de ton prochain tour.

Edited by Kakita Renju

Stance is something that you get to change once per round, at the start of your turn, and persists until the start of your next turn. It's used in all of the 4 different types of Conflict Scenes.

Theres obvious benefits for the Stance you take, but this is an example of less obvious benefits or detrimental factors. It's a cool system that should make Conflict a little bit quicker since you don't change constantly.

Edited by Richardbuxton

Actually I'm fully fluent, lived and worked 10 years in Ireland and GMed all my 4th ed time in English.

but I read it yesterday at 2am and mostly focused on trying to get a general flavor. Then spent the day on this forum absorbing stuff.

I'm working hard on loosing the old 4th ed prejudices. Then Ill be able to embrace the rules.

@renju, donc pas besoin de trad mais merci qd même.

Edited by Nitenman