Spending XP on things that appear on later Ranks Advancement

By WHW, in Rules Questions

So, imagine I'm a Kitsuki Investigator. I'm a Rank 1 little baby. I buy some Social Skills. My Rank 1 does not have Advancement line for Social Skills, but Rank 5 has a line for them, as a group. Do I record XP spent on Social Skills pre-emptively on Rank 5 chart or does it not count unless I've spent it while being at Rank5?

Yeah, I was curious about that one too. I think it would be a good idea to have it 'count' for later advancement, rather than having those XP 'lost'.

1 hour ago, WHW said:

So, imagine I'm a Kitsuki Investigator. I'm a Rank 1 little baby. I buy some Social Skills. My Rank 1 does not have Advancement line for Social Skills, but Rank 5 has a line for them, as a group. Do I record XP spent on Social Skills pre-emptively on Rank 5 chart or does it not count unless I've spent it while being at Rank5?

No, You can only fill in on the rank you are at.

more important: Why does Kitsuki have no social skills advancement line at RK1?

Edited by Nitenman

yeah I kinda noticed that too. As they are the diplomat for the Dragon....

This defiantly needs to be gone into detail in the book. I would hope that spending XP "early" would not waste it as far as rank advancement is concerned.

I can't find anything that says it doesn't count for later, so I'm assuming it does, but has there been an official ruling on this / someone find something definitive in the text yet?

6 hours ago, minoru said:

I can't find anything that says it doesn't count for later, so I'm assuming it does, but has there been an official ruling on this / someone find something definitive in the text yet?

Says expliciltly, no. Implies strongly:

This curriculum includes a set of skills, techniques, and approaches that all its students must master before they are tested and allowed to proceed to the next rank. (beta, p 44)

the techniques required I'd say cannot be learned until ranked up based upon that.

On 10/5/2017 at 3:20 PM, TheWanderingJewels said:

yeah I kinda noticed that too. As they are the diplomat for the Dragon....

The Investigator school is not their diplomat school; that's the Magistrate school. At least, under 3rd Ed.