Opportunity

By Maakvuhs, in Rules Questions

Im i the only one to find the concept of opportunity useless and make the game to heavy?

I love it.

If you fail a check, you still get to spend opportunity, correct? Like advantages in Star Wars?

4 minutes ago, bsmith23 said:

If you fail a check, you still get to spend opportunity, correct? Like advantages in Star Wars?

And in some instances the a Opportunity may be much better than the Strife associated with Success. Better to avoid loosing Honour and succeed later than succeed now dishonourably. I love it.

Just now, Richardbuxton said:

And in some instances the a Opportunity may be much better than the Strife associated with Success. Better to avoid loosing Honour and succeed later than succeed now dishonourably. I love it.

Would love to hear an example.?

Well really it comes from the Dice. No face that has an Opportunity has a Strife. So perhaps you have a TN of 2. On the 3 Ring and 1 Skill die dice you roll:

Success + Strife

Success + Strife

Blank

Opportunity

So you have the choice of taking 2 Strife to succeed on the check, or you could take the Opportunity instead thus avoiding the likelihood of an Outburst later on. Starting characters are going to have a Composure between 4 and 12, exceeding the lower end of that will be rather easy I should think.

That Opportunity could prove a major benefit to another character I need the form of Assistance

On 05/10/2017 at 2:31 AM, Maakvuhs said:

Im i the only one to find the concept of opportunity useless and make the game to heavy?

It seems to hold a similar place to raises in previous editions, although it is normally after the fact rather than before it.

On 10/6/2017 at 3:01 AM, bsmith23 said:

Would love to hear an example.?

Your party fights Giant Enemy Crab! Giant Enemy Crab has 8 Physical Resistance. You have 4 person party.

You roll dice. You can keep 3 Successes and hit the Giant Enemy Crab for 5 Damage, which will be reduced to 0 and break your Katana, or keep 0 Successes but instead get 3 Opportunities. You keep only Opportunities, and activate Striking As Water with them. You remove 6 of the Armor from the Giant Enemy Crab, and the Armor shred will last until end of your next turn.

Rest of the party suddenly goes from "we cant kill this" to "LETS KILL THIS".

Exactly so. Hit or miss yourself, opportunity might create a vulnerability for someone else to exploit later.

Alternatively, maybe you might land a light wound (good but not fight-ending), but opportunity could instead pile on enough strife to cause an outburst, making a weak foe (say a shadowlands goblin) flee in a skirmish and reducing the odds, or pushing a foe in a duel into giving you an opening for a double-deadliness "bugger where did my head go?" Finishing Blow.

I did a small intro session last week. I found the opportunity system very difficult to get used to. Even with the tables in the book, we spent about 5-10 minutes after each roll trying to figure out what to do with our opportunities. Every PC eventually kept saying, just give me an additional detail about the room but I ran out of things to tell them pretty quickly.

I am not saying that this is bad necessarily, but it will definitely take some getting used to before I form a strong opinion about it. I could see it being really cool or really annoying.

Oppotunities are just what the raises had been in L5R under AEG. But I think FFG really has to streamline them quite a lot, at the moment they are a huge mess that is all over the place and not really user friendly.

The beta could use easy reference common opportunity sheet, skill approach cards, technique cards and scene rule sheets.

5 hours ago, Ultimatecalibur said:

The beta could use easy reference common opportunity sheet, skill approach cards, technique cards and scene rule sheets.

That I'd agree with.

You can never have a complete list of 'everything you can spend opportunity on' without it being player-by-player, because some of it will depend on individual techniques that not every player will have.

Nevertheless, the tables of 'universal stuff you can spend opportunity on' are on:

1. Page 18 - example ways of spending opportunity
  2. Page 82, 87, 92, 98, 103 - spending opportunity with each of the skill groups
  3. Page 176 - spending opportunity in mass battles

There tends to be a fair bit of flicking back and forth between tables; putting all of them within a page of each other would be nice! I could see a sort of 'players mat' thing like the star wars one being interesting (letting you mark up initiative order and current stance) and have the 'what can you spend opportunity on generically all in one area. Throw in a few 'clan icon' or portrait tokens (like in the star wars starter sets) for the various players and NPC groups and it might be quite useful.