Play-by-post Roleplay in Rokugan

By marshzd, in Legend of the Five Rings Roleplaying Game Beta

We have created a place to play on epicwords.com. You'll need to create a free account to join the campaign. I'll be updating the wikis and creating forums as we go. Thanks!

Go to: http://epicwords.com/campaigns/5461

Password to join campaign: l5rbetapbp

---------

Would anyone be interested in doing something like this? Do they have a subforum on here for that type of thing?

I think it could be potentially be a lot of fun. It's something I haven't tried in maybe 10 years. But it might help keep me excited for the game until it finally comes out!

Edited by marshzd
Added info for PBP forums

I'd be in.

We might need a different forum for it, though. A dedicated story head or team of gm's might not also go amiss (Autumn Court 1?) I would be happy to help with development and be a supporting player.

We might want to wait a couple days after the Beta drops to make sure everyone has a handle on the new rules and setting. Unless you're going for the 4E ruleset and plot, which requires the above, but less wait time. Both are good.

I'm pretty down for running it. I've run plenty of L5R, but I've never run a pbp before so I might be a bit terrible as fun . Worst case scenario for the subforum bit, you could always use roll20.

I am not a huge fan of pbp/forum games, but am planning on doing some MUSH shenanigans.

I'd totally be up for pbp.

I'd be willing to give it a try!

Many forums have dice rollers built in but how does that work with custom dice? Seems like it'd be hard to do.

3 hours ago, Jennkryst said:

I am not a huge fan of pbp/forum games, but am planning on doing some MUSH shenanigans.

Where?? I haven't played MUSHes in...over a decade. I do stay active on a MUD. But I'd be totally down to do this.

Maybe epicwords.com would be good for this. It's free (although feel free to contribute), provides a forum for a game, has ways to track experience and currency...

You can also try here: http://gamersplane.com

18 minutes ago, marshzd said:

Where?? I haven't played MUSHes in...over a decade. I do stay active on a MUD. But I'd be totally down to do this.

There was Kishi Kaisei a while back that was 4e, set in Clear Water Village, but it died off a few years ago. I've been wanting to do my own, set on the new Mantis Island that sprung up in their war with Phoenix (the name escapes me at the moment), but mush code is a dying skill. I'm trying to lure a fancy coder to help out, but there is also the possible legal issue that I don't know if a Cease and Desist will show up. I know that White Wolf has gone out of their way to include MUSHes in their legalese, so I dunno if that is implied with FFG's stuff, or what. So tricksy.

I've used Tavern Keeper before for PBP, and it has worked pretty well.

Edited by cparadis10

I wonder if FFG would make their own PBP game like the old Winter Courts that AEG did (of which I was part in one).

18 hours ago, LordBen said:

Many forums have dice rollers built in but how does that work with custom dice? Seems like it'd be hard to do.

There are many forums that support custom dice (for simulating card draws and such). Or we could use ordinary d6 and d12 rolls and just have conversion tables in the main post.

I'd be interested. The only major limitation for me is that I'm a Dragon guy, and our school choices are... odd in the Beta 8)

I'll be keeping an eye out here. All ready in a great pbm for 4e but totally want to try the beta

I'd also be interested with the caveat that I have no prior experience with either Rokugan or PBP.

I've done a TON of pbp but I'd want to know the lore of the new setting and if it's different and such. The Beta was pretty much only rules.

Orokos.com is a really nice online roller for PBP, unfortunately there's no syntax for rolling xd6 and yd12 at the same time, you need to make separate rolls. But everything is time stamped, with the campaign, character and description tied to the roll.

Example:

Testing roller, Water Strike : 3#1d6 4 3 6

Testing roller, Water Strike : 1d12 3

according to the conversion chart that's:

Opp/Str

Suc/Str

Exp/Str

and

Suc

choosing to keep the d12 Suc, d6 Opp/STR and Exp/Str d6 I reroll:

Test dice Water Strike exp reroll : 1d6 6

Annother exploded die!

Keep that to bring tally up to:

3 Suc, 1Opp, 3Str

next reroll:

Test dice Water Strike exp reroll 2 : 1d6 2

That's 1 more success;

4 Success, 1 Opportunity, 3 Strife.

with the Water Stance I could choose to ignore 2 of those Strife.

If there is still a chance to jump in, I'd be interested in a PbP as well.

I've read quite a bit about L5R 4E and own some of the books, but unfortunately never actually got a group off the ground. I'm eager to finally dip my toes into Rokugan and have a variety of ideas for potential characters.

My work has been a little busy, but I am going to look at this today, create a site, and then post an invite for everyone here who wants to participate. It might take a little setup time, so not everything will be there right off the bat. But I'll be working on it. :)

I'll update my original post to include the information too.

I'd definitely be interested in giving it a shot as well.

Cool, I'll be happy to be a part of it.

I'd suggest moving it to a dedicated site, like RPOL.net.

I created an epic words.com campaign. This will allow us to create forums, assign XP, and do other tasks. It makes for a lot of convenience. I am arranging to become a paid subscriber so I can pretty up the page some more, but for now it'll do.

Go to: http://epicwords.com/campaigns/5461

Password to join campaign: l5rbetapbp

You'll have to create a character to join it. Adding info to the top. I'll be working on the forums and other data through out the day.