Character creation question - Duty, Morality and Obligations

By Maelareth, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny Beginner Game

Hello!

I'm fairly new to the system and trying to get my head around it. When creating a new character i shall determine Duty, Morality and/or Obligations. Do all characters in a party get all those or just one of them depending on what book you used to create the character? For example do my force sensetive character also get duty and obligation? I was thinking of maybe use several of the books at once for my party so I'm curiopus how it works when mixing the different ones.

Much love

Maelareth

It depends on your game. Every character can have all three, though it ends up being three times the paperwork.

Non-Force Sensitives don't really benefit from Morality, but there's nothing saying a FS can't use Morality and have a Duty/Obligation as well.

You'll benefit from Session 0 character creation. As your players craft their characters, it will become clear who can make use of each mechanic. If your entire party ends up being fringers and outlaws, you probably only need Obligation. Likewise if they all jump into the Rebellion (or similar organization) go with Duty.

Ah thank you for the fast respond! :D Makes alot of sense. Will prolly have a character creation session somewhat soon to see if the others are interested in trying out the game.

My opinion is that a player can assign the other traits if they want, they just won't gain any creation benefit from doing so, beyond the initial one.

So, let's say that you have a Force and Destiny character, who chooses the bonus XP for Morality, but they also want to be a wanted criminal from the Hutt Cartel. This would be reflected as an Obligation they are dealing with. At my table, they could set it as high as they wanted, but they won't get any more XP or credits or whatever, beyond what they got for their Morality choice.

4 minutes ago, KungFuFerret said:

My opinion is that a player can assign the other traits if they want, they just won't gain any creation benefit from doing so, beyond the initial one.

So, let's say that you have a Force and Destiny character, who chooses the bonus XP for Morality, but they also want to be a wanted criminal from the Hutt Cartel. This would be reflected as an Obligation they are dealing with. At my table, they could set it as high as they wanted, but they won't get any more XP or credits or whatever, beyond what they got for their Morality choice.

Yeah that makes sense out several perspectives, especially the way it builds more to the character and not mechanically.