Assembled Disassembling Pictures

By Managarmr, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

Really cool. Thank you every one for the pictures. Does anyone have pictures of a Jumpmaster?

How about the Starviper? I want to make the wings foldable, but it's such a thin and wispy model I'm afraid I'll break it before I get it apart. Knowing where to crack it without endangering the model could make it an almost trivial mod, given the way the parts appear to be separated.

- H8

The front of the cockpit comes off, then the wings pry out of that. If you shave them down carefully you can just put them back into the sockets and glue the front back on.

The front is on a post but I snapped it when I disassembled my G4H one.

Yeah my GFH one snapped too.

I think it's glued in a lot better than the original one. Those came off with just a bit of wiggling. I could even assemble it back after shaving the axles without glue. The trick to getting the cockpit off is to get a fine flat screwdriver and use it to pry it apart slowly.

On 2017-10-02 at 3:48 PM, thespaceinvader said:

The fins and tops of the engines also come off from the G1a, just to note. Handy if you're considering taking it apart to put the fin on a Scurrg.

aI7QaoUl.jpg

While dissamsembling though, be careful with the cannons, they easily break off, as you have to apply enough force to break all 4(!) pins.

Edited by Managarmr

The top of the cockpit also comes off.

As it has there; the bottom is missing for some reason o_O

Here are the flappy 2.0 X-wings from Saw's expansion:

From @Giledhil

871dfaca156f3f7f3780000c87eb38ab.jpg

From @Kieransi

d79c02013388c6988102d60e1883a259.jpg

cf0101d4169205d6937cd3c789e22ccf.jpg

On 11/9/2017 at 2:23 PM, Praetorate of the Empire said:

How do they breakdown? I'm looking to mod my B-wings so that their cockpits match their differing orientations and I know I've seen some online, but I haven't found them as of yet.

I don't want to spam links, but if you check out Shapeways they make folding B-wing conversion kits made by 3D printers, you can get them in 2 or 4 Pack under 2 or 4 pack B-wing S-foil Hinge.

Does the Quadjumper have separate engines or i need a jewellers saw to separate them?

On 7/2/2018 at 4:40 PM, Aurianna De'Chardains said:

I don't want to spam links, but if you check out Shapeways they make folding B-wing conversion kits made by 3D printers, you can get them in 2 or 4 Pack under 2 or 4 pack B-wing S-foil Hinge.

You can just use a craft knife to cut the cockpit free then you drill it and the body out and put magnets in, voila rotating cockpit. As for the wings still working on that, shapeways might be a better option. Also won't let m,e post pics...

On 6/29/2018 at 11:06 AM, Force Majeure said:

Here are the flappy 2.0 X-wings from Saw's expansion:

From @Giledhil

871dfaca156f3f7f3780000c87eb38ab.jpg

From @Kieransi

d79c02013388c6988102d60e1883a259.jpg

cf0101d4169205d6937cd3c789e22ccf.jpg

No pics but I've soaked one of my saw's X-wings in WD-40 for 10 hours and the wings already open and close better than when I first got it (They don't spring into the 1/2 open 1/2 closed like usual). I think the WD-40 removes the gunk they used to "Lubricate" the S-foils. Will report after 24 hours (also WD-40 doesn't damage the paint or Plastic).

Ok 48 hours seems to be the optimal time for cleaning the gunk out of an Saw's X-wing. Soak fighter in WD-40 for 48 hours, open and close the wings a few times during the soak (every 10-12 hours is what I did), then rinse in a cup of WARM (not hot) soapy water, lightly dry with paper towel then leave to air dry. My wings now open and close like the 2.0 X-wings that have been shown in videos. No damage to the paint, plastic or washes.

On 8/10/2018 at 5:27 PM, buckero0 said:

Does the Quadjumper have separate engines or i need a jewellers saw to separate them?

Pics on the first page (Force Majeure). It is a massive block, with the cockpit stuck in, and the "shells" stuck in above. So, you would need a saw.

This is on my (far too long) project list as well.

Be careful with the fins, they break off easily while working with the model.

Links to other relevant posts:

YT-1300

Multiple on Zealux Myr's Workshop (C-ROC, Fang)

On 11/10/2017 at 12:02 AM, Force Majeure said:

The wings come apart where they cross. The short wings are one piece and the long wing separates into two parts.

You have to gently, but firmly bend and twist back and forth. Just a little mind you. After a few repetitions you'll hear this awful sound of the glue cracking apart. Eventually they'll come apart.

For the rotating cockpit, you can magnetize, or "pin" it. If you don't have magnets, pinning could be a cheap solution.

Pinning is the modeling term for drilling a small hole and putting a pin or other small diameter rod into two parts in order to reinforce two pieces and glue them together for greater strength.

On the B's cockpit, after separating it, you can drill a hole into the back of the cockpit and affix a length of a paper clip in it. It will look kind of like a push-pin. Then after drilling an appropriate diameter hole into the corresponding part of the fuselage, you can slide the "push-pin" cockpit into the hole and rotate it to wherever you want. Don't make the receiving hole too big or it won't hold the cockpit in very well.

Truthfully though, the rotating cockpit isn't really useful outside of looks. Being able to rotate the B-wing on it's stand both looks cool and is useful.

3b9YvFC.jpg

f05xA2y.jpg

So the cockpit is glued? No matter how hard I try it doesnt come out. Just asking a last time before I go for my saw ;)

The cockpit is molded.

To get it to rotate, you have to cut it off, and then in one manner or another make room for a magnet or whatever you plan to use.

55 minutes ago, Force Majeure said:

The cockpit is molded.

To get it to rotate, you have to cut it off, and then in one manner or another make room for a magnet or whatever you plan to use.

I think it matters which printing of the B-Wing you're slicing up. I've done all of mine (seven, he said with a straight face) and they were a mix of molded and glued-peg. Either way I recommend delicately hacking it off with a jewelry saw and drilling out holes for the magnets.

any firespray pics/instructions?

14 hours ago, ZealuxMyr said:

I think it matters which printing of the B-Wing you're slicing up. I've done all of mine (seven, he said with a straight face) and they were a mix of molded and glued-peg. Either way I recommend delicately hacking it off with a jewelry saw and drilling out holes for the magnets.

15 hours ago, Force Majeure said:

The cockpit is molded.

Thanks a lot! Always happy to find a reason to use that jewelry saw ;)

Lancer

zX5Dea6l.jpg

There is an excellent video about this, made by @Jychuah

in short:

Start by pulling off the outer back-part of the engine nacelles. Then twist/brake loose/pull of the inner back-part of the nacelles. Then, starting from behind, you can split apart the nacelles. Once both are split, put in a screw driver in the middle of the nacelles and crack the main body open.

Be careful with the cannons.

(Mine however were already partly broken, I got a slightly damaged Lancer for free from a guy getting out of the game).

Edited by Managarmr
Added detail

YV666:

First step has been shown elsewhere (mostly for people wanting easier storage). You can just pull off the whole aft section after the curvature of the main hull.

AxH1PEe.jpg

But you can dissamble further, as seen in the picture.

The wing base sits on two thick pegs. In my model I needed quite a lot force to get it apart. For others there was so little glue on the pegs, that they just easily could broke off the small rectangle aft of the pegs by pushing with a sharp object, and then just lifting off.

The wings can be lift off easily upwards, just a little squiggling after some time in the freezer. I actually think that the better solution for storage, juts magnetising the wings:

Db90kbt.jpg

The bottom part of the main hull sat rather loose in my model.

So about the bwing again:

The bottom cannon is glued. It WILL come off after soaking in sterilizer and brushing off old color. And it WILL fit in your drain to never be seen again.

Time to build a tractor beam from scratch I guess. Maybe some design from the jetsons.

I know that feeling! Ugh

12 hours ago, Xeletor said:

So about the bwing again:

The bottom cannon is glued. It WILL come off after soaking in sterilizer and brushing off old color. And it WILL fit in your drain to never be seen again.

Time to build a tractor beam from scratch I guess. Maybe some design from the jetsons.

If you're interested I have a spare bottom B-Wing cannon from a model I removed it from to convert to the prototype B-Wing with ALM's conversion kit...I'd be happy to mail it. Though I am interested in seeing a Jetson's style tracto beam cannon...