Crafting time.

By Techpriest support, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

OK having read the rules on crafting I do have a simple question on time: if I want to craft a weapon, say an autogun or pistol just as an example, the chart on page 97 (Yes Jargal, I read the rules...) says it takes 1d5 hours and 5 successes. (I do get if I were crafting a plasma pistol this would go up a lot)

Now I'm but sure how this actually works in detail. Do I have to spend 1d5 hours per roll and accumulate 5 successes? That would make crafting a typical pistol take like 24 hours on average. Do failed rolls just waste time? How does margin of success work here? I was thinking if nothing else each margin of success might count as a separate success which could reduce crafting time a lot or if that's too much each MOS reduces the crafting time for that roll by 1 hour to a minimum of one hour.

Either I'm missing something or the rules for crafting time and multiple successes aren't too clear.

BTW the chart says if using tech skill you need a design to start. I noted the vehicle rules had the 'essential skills' for repairs, so maybe tech use should have essential skills for design.

Also on page 259 under vehicle rules (yes Jargal I do read the rules) it mentioned careful repairs as giving a +30 bonus if you take +50% crafting time. Should that apply to crafting? Take longer on the craft rolls and get a bonus?

2 hours ago, Techpriest support said:

if I want to craft a weapon, say an autogun or pistol just as an example, the chart on page 97 (Yes Jargal, I read the rules...) says it takes 1d5 hours and 5 successes.

I'm sorry, but... with 1d5 hours/5 successes your refer to "survival items" - "This skill allows a character to create any kind of basic device or basic item such as clothing or foodstuffs. Survival can be used to craft any item with the Primitive special quality or any Low-tech Weapon" - part of table, and crafting autogun or pistol would be "tech-use items" , so you'll need both "access to design for" and "right knowledge and access to advanced workshops" and 1d5 hours/8 successes.

If you can access DH1` "Inquisitor's Handbook" I recommend crafting rules from this book. They are a lot clearer.

2 hours ago, Techpriest support said:

Also on page 259 under vehicle rules (yes Jargal I do read the rules) it mentioned careful repairs as giving a +30 bonus if you take +50% crafting time. Should that apply to crafting? Take longer on the craft rolls and get a bonus?

Rules for vehicle repair are copy-pasted to DH2 from Only War, where many things were simplified, since the game was about IG actions in the middle of battle. Again, I recommend, if you can, to read DH1 rules from IH.

Edited by Jargal

BTW, if you don't like my answers to your questions - you always can add "it's question for all except Jargal" line somewhere in the bottom of your post...

you do have a habit of making somewhat snarky replies that while useful seem very dismissive to the new people interested in dh2. That doesn't help keep the line going. You seem to act like we don't even read the rules. Well I do and sometimes things are not laid out very well, like the essential repair rules in the vehicle rules not being mentioned in the skills rules.

Also you might consider that dh2 seems to have been a rush job to get one last 40k product out the door before ffg dropped the licence.

As such it seems to try to take the better elements from. All the games and combine them. This might have been good if not for the rushed cut and paste job it seems to have been.

In fact as I look at it I see he only really good thing in dh2 was the aptitude system and how it created a smoother and more free form chargen and advancement system. Everything else about dh1 was better but I am quite fond of dh2's aptitude mechanic. I always thought that the advancement system in dh1 was kind of straight jacketed.

Frankly I think the ultimate system would be dh1 with the dh2 aptitude mechanic grafted on it. I'd likely dump the influence system and go back to money, period.

4 hours ago, Techpriest support said:

You seem to act like we don't even read the rules.

Well, let's check your questions and my answers in "Rules" section by threads...

"Tech priest" - corebook reference. "Tools as weapons" - corebook reference. "Sage lore question" - rules discussion. "Dh1 weapons?" - rules discussion, must be in "House rules" section. "Mechandendrite use questions" - corebook reference. "Space Marine and human heavy bolter?" - rules discussion, must be in ""House rules" section. "DoS and single shots" - corebook reference. "Influence as money?" - rules discussion, must be in "House rules" section. "Crafting time" - not finished yet.

3 house rules discussions, 1 rules discussion, 4 corebook references.

Don't you see some correlation?