Big changes you want to see in new RPG

By Kakita Onimaru, in Legend of the Five Rings Roleplaying Game Beta

52 minutes ago, Richardbuxton said:

Social encounters in FFG Star Wars are excellent, well structured, well supported by the rules and the pc options available, and can entirely rely on skill checks. "I'm not an inspiring leader but my character is, I don't know what they say but it works by the looks of the dice roll" is an entirely acceptable and functional part of that system.

This is also an entirely acceptable and functional part of L5R's system, the same as any other kind of skill check: the GM either sets a TN or makes it opposed, you roll, and that can be the end of it. The scenario described above was a failure of GMing ("you don't know anything about this OOC so you fail IC because I won't allow your sheet to matter"), not a failure of the system.

1 hour ago, VaeVictis said:

I mean, it's really difficult to build a system that is Munchkin-proof. So players are either going to figure out the best mathematical combinations of gear, or the best combinations of stats, or both.

The more I play games, the less concerned I am with "balance" meaning "all options are equally mathematically beneficial." I like that in 4e the katana is a superior weapon because in Rokugan it should be. I like that the designers, by their own admission, made the minor clan Schools less effective than the Great Clan Schools because without all the Great Clan's resources they should be. I don't want a game that's perfectly balanced; I want a game that's deliberately and very specifically imbalanced and makes me want to play all the options.

In consideration that in real life and history, battoujutsu, iaijutsu, and iaido were self defense martial arts opposed to forms of dueling, I'd be inclined to see Kenjutsu be the formal skill utilized in a duel.

1 minute ago, kpsmith said:

In consideration that in real life and history, battoujutsu, iaijutsu, and iaido were self defense martial arts opposed to forms of dueling, I'd be inclined to see Kenjutsu be the formal skill utilized in a duel.

Way, way too late for that to be a thing. Already the new fiction has had an Iaijutsu duel.

IF, it is similar to star wars / Genesys . Might be able to fold it into Kenjutsu and have a talent trees of some sort cover the iaijustu skill.

Something like advantage and disadvantage on focus can be split to draw(triumph here give you 2 strikes) and or strike. how much and where modified my school talents.

I would like to see a little more variation within individual clan schools. Should be able to recognize the school but a little variation between 2 bushi of the same school would be neat.

Looking forward to seeing what they have done next week anyway.

I've always kind of thought the system had some cool potential for a martial arts game. using the extra advantage and disadvantage to trigger special moves and such. We use it to narrate that type of thing alot now as it is.

Just a vague idea but monks and duals in L5R might show some of that potential. If the game isn't something completely different than Genesys of course.

Edited by adrick

What I'd Like to See:

Schools providing an edge, not total absurd dominance, in their fields of expertise. (4th KINDA did this in some areas, but if you were in a duel and not a Kakita, Shiba, or Mirumoto-trained sort and facing one who had studied at one of those schools... ouch)

Some rules grounding the role of shugenja as more than just fireball-slingers.

A way to make social skills have some bite- courtiers are supposed to be as deadly on their battleground as a bushi is on theirs. While I played in (and loved) both of the last two AEG Winter Court events, there was always something sad and pathetic about watching how rumors and the game of letters became almost totally toothless and pointless.

Things I'd Rather Avoid-

A focus on gear. PCs in Rokugan are assumed to be members of the samurai caste. Pretty much nobody is using bad equipment.

Attempts to be a Kurosawa Simulator. Rokugan has never been a setting without pretty prevalent magic and mysticism.

Rock-Paper-Scissors school design.

When it comes to gear, I think that PCs should be expected to have quality gear based on their rank. There should be SOME sort of material upgrade, but I completely agree that it shouldn't be a driving goal in the least. Something more like "This wakazashi gives me a Boost die in court functions as it is recognizable as a gift from the Daimyo" or "This helmet made by a Forest Kami is particularly frightening and gives me a level of Fearful in combat." Not just "more damage and more soak."

When I mentioned Equipment, I had no intention of it being similar to DnD with magic items all over the place. That being said, superior equipment has been part of the setting, CCG, and the current LCG since day 1.

I really like the idea of some weapons gaining legendary status due to their unique properties. Even more commonly the generic traits of faction specific items. For instance, The Tsuruchi are not only superior archers but have Bow technology superior to the rest of the empire. The Crab have incredibly effective armor.

That said, the main thrust of martial power should still come down to learned skills and techniques. A master with a stick should be able to defeat a novice with a blood-sword.

(Also, id really like to move away from the katana as the end-all-be-all weapon of choice. I get why they did it thematically but it severely undercuts the potential of other weapon types)

I think if the Katana didn't have the bonus it did, no one would ever use the main weapon of the game, but otherwise agree with most of what you're saying

Force And Destiny had the concept that with training a Lightsaber User could use a different Characteristic for Lightsaber combat than the standard Brawn. Perhaps FFG will follow this concept again by coming up with 5 different schools that each incorporate one of the 5 elements in their style. Just spit balling here, how the 5 rings are used will probably provide the answer.

why is a week so far away?

I think that a katana should be the first weapon of choice unless there is a weapon that is specially used for another purpose. I mean, that is the point of the sword being so used in so many cultures all over the world. It is just a gosh darn good design for a lot of wartime uses. Sure, if you know you are going up against heavy armored monsters, you might want a tetsubo or something like it. Beasts with long reach? Spears and Naginata. But for every day needs? A katana should always be at hand.

Edited by Manic Modron
Apparently the profanity filter is very strong here.
17 minutes ago, Richardbuxton said:

Force And Destiny had the concept that with training a Lightsaber User could use a different Characteristic for Lightsaber combat than the standard Brawn. Perhaps FFG will follow this concept again by coming up with 5 different schools that each incorporate one of the 5 elements in their style. Just spit balling here, how the 5 rings are used will probably provide the answer.

why is a week so far away?

I could see that. From what I understand, it's already more or less established that the clans tend to focus/specialize in different elements for their shugenja, it would make sense for something similar for their combat techniques. Or a particular school could even use a couple "elements" or techniques, allowing adherents of that school a couple paths to follow for customization and development. I think that would be a good option for encouraging players to choose minor clans as well, giving their schools a unique perk or variations not available through the great clans...a sort of balance without necessarily making them equal.

9 minutes ago, Manic Modron said:

I think that a katana should be the first weapon of choice unless there is a weapon that is specially used for another purpose. I mean, that is the point of the sword being so used in so many cultures all over the world. It is just a gosh darn good design for a lot of wartime uses. Sure, if you know you are going up against heavy armored monsters, you might want a tetsubo or something like it. Beasts with long reach? Spears and Naginata. But for every day needs? A katana should always be at hand.

Not really. Swords are actually fairly mid-tier weapons in most cultures, including japan. Weapons with reach are generally preferred. Plus, its much easier to learn a spear than a sword. Even still, the "best" weapon to field in battle depends a lot on the continual evolution of weapon and armor technology. For a time Halberds were the dominate weapon on the field for it reach and ability to pierce the armor common for the time.

BUT

You do consistently see swords everywhere because it proves to be an incredibly versatile, easy to transport, and reliable weapon. If we were to compare martial weapons to guns the Sword would be the Handgun: You'd want a rifle or shotgun if you knew you were going into a fight but you'd almost alway have your reliable handgun on you at all times.

1 minute ago, Kakita Onimaru said:

You do consistently see swords everywhere because it proves to be an incredibly versatile, easy to transport, and reliable weapon. If we were to compare martial weapons to guns the Sword would be the Handgun: You'd want a rifle or shotgun if you knew you were going into a fight but you'd almost alway have your reliable handgun on you at all times.

They also often had social acceptability- you could wear one in a formal setting without raising too many eyebrows.

5 hours ago, VaeVictis said:

Yeah, getting around the fairly alien mindset (for Westerners and gamers) was always a major stumbling block for the L5R RPG.

To be exactly honest here, it was a major stumbling block in real life too. ****, L5R might have delved better into it than the Japanese themselves.

5 minutes ago, Kakita Onimaru said:

Also, polearms and spears are cheaper and easier to field large numbers of them. But this part I quoted was more the point I was trying to get across, though clearly poorly. You want other weapons available for specific purposes, but it always comes back to "And a sword too." First strike and mass formations? Polearms, but swords when the enemy gets past your reach. Heavy armor? The Crab clan is fond of two handed weapons for those tough oni, but outside those fearsome foes you are likely back to the sword. Not enough money for swords? Axes will do, but swords when you can afford them!

3 minutes ago, Shiba Gunichi said:

They also often had social acceptability- you could wear one in a formal setting without raising too many eyebrows.

That is another clear advantage, yes. If you were wearing a sword, you only were saying you are prepared for trouble. With a lot of other weapons, you are likely either expecting it right away or actively inviting it.

4 hours ago, suburbaknght said:

The more I play games, the less concerned I am with "balance" meaning "all options are equally mathematically beneficial." I like that in 4e the katana is a superior weapon because in Rokugan it should be. I like that the designers, by their own admission, made the minor clan Schools less effective than the Great Clan Schools because without all the Great Clan's resources they should be. I don't want a game that's perfectly balanced; I want a game that's deliberately and very specifically imbalanced and makes me want to play all the options.

I assumed they meant differences is weapons of the same class. Qualities, etc. Obviously the katana should be the principle weapon in the setting, and better than lower quality swords or other weapons. I just meant I didn't have a problem with there being different standards of weapons, higher qualities, etc. Heavier armors versus light etc.

Realistically, it is up to the GM to police the players if they threaten to unbalance the game (according to the group's taste, obviously). "Balance" isn't really necessary in moderated games like RPGs.

Duped

Edited by VaeVictis
8 minutes ago, VaeVictis said:

Realistically, it is up to the GM to police the players if they threaten to unbalance the game (according to the group's taste, obviously). "Balance" isn't really necessary in moderated games like RPGs.

Ideally yes, but some players feel that any rule in an "official" book (especially the core) is something they are entitled to, and can get upset when the GM tries to balance things.

I try to avoid playing with people who try to break the system these days, but I think a balanced product (or as balanced as reasonably possible) is better to help avoid any similar situations. And, as a GM, I went to spend as little time tweaking the system as possible and focus my efforts on the actual campaign itself.

Edited by Suzume Tomonori
1 minute ago, Suzume Tomonori said:

Ideally yes, but some players feel that any rule in an "official" book (especially the core) is something they are entitled to, and can get upset when the GM tries to balance things.

They can find another GM.

A GM should NEVER feel obligated to indulge player tantrums. You put in ten times the work they do prepping and writing. They can play along, or they can pound sand. Entitled players are the worst thing in the RPG community.

Edited by VaeVictis
2 hours ago, Kakita Onimaru said:

(Also, id really like to move away from the katana as the end-all-be-all weapon of choice. I get why they did it thematically but it severely undercuts the potential of other weapon types)

I'd like to see this too. One of my favorite parts of the Samurai fantasy is the weapon specializations, and variety. Like Soul Calibur or Samurai Showdown I want to see a multitude of different weapon options as a way to allow players to showcase their personality. I don't want to see "katana +1" but I'd LOVE to see "katana + extra reach advantage" like Kojiro might use, or "katana + fast draw advantage" designed for dueling assuming the system can incorporate elements like initiative and reach into the combat round without turning it into warhammer 40k lol.

Three separate systems based on the same, core mechanics.

1. Combat. Lethal, meaningful combat. With options & tactics.

2. Iajutsu. One strike.

3. Social combat. Please focus on the fantasy Japan aspect of Awareness, Face, and Courtesy, (etc.) rather than the traditional D&D / White Wolf troika of intimidate/persuade/leadership.

I'd be very happy if they used a dice system more similar to Warhammer 3E, and then heavily adapted it to Rokugan. I own every single 4e book, and many from earlier editions. I love Roll and Keep. But I do not need a 5th edition of Roll and Keep. To me, L5R 4th edition perfected that system.

Most of all, more than anything, I desperately want the mechanics to support the world. I do not want Japanese D&D or Samurai Shadowrun. And I sincerely dislike generic systems. To me, the system has to make the players feel they are in Rokugan, that Honor is stronger than Steel, that bushido and duty are more than just words. L5R is/was nearly unique in that sense. Don't mess it up, please! ^_^

Photo link: This is better than any dungeon.

Edited by lumia2

I'd support social combat

have a limited number of mental wounds, affected by opposed checks of social high skill and low skills or have a base social TN.

A different focus on martial arts less restricted on schools and organized around skills granting access to a common trunk of techniques.

that way, you can have traditional kenjutsu schools or iaijutsu schools independently of clan, and become an efficient crab duellist.

Ninjutsu traditions not tied to the scorpion.

That way, entering a Clan School, giving clan flavored bonus building on top of these schools with different synergy, would be a great honor.

Edited by Nitenman
2x post

Hi everyone. In my humile opinion:

1. They should include a mechanic for parrying atacks (exchanging an atack for a parry). It's frustating to can not interact with the blow that will kill you.
  2. They should fix the Grappling mehanic too. The actual Mechanic is very powerful in 1vs1 and it can be used in an exploited way.
  3. The Armor TN should decrease each time after being atacked , it has no sense a Rank 4 Hiruma can be in the middle of an skirmish at 60TN or more being hit by no one.
  4. The Spells must be redesigned in order to be less powerful and be usable more many times (without resting). Specially the void ones.
  5. The exploding dice when you roll a 10 doesn't scale right, it's heoric but unfair. Should not have an exploding 10's rule .
  6. The Gaining/losing honor table must be more detailed better explained in each example and more extensive to more situations, apliying the table for a newbe GM always incurs in a lost of honor because os the minor etiquete rupture.
  7. They should include a short tale/story where the samurai breaks and follow the bushido explaining when to give him honor and when to remove it.
  8. They should low the power of Kiho's, just to balance monks and bushis, also tatoos.
  9. They should explain more detailed the monk rol in rokugan, also examples of interaction when they are rude to samurais.
  10. They should have a more detailed map where not just castles of the minor clans are located, it's necessary to have their lands too.

Thanks!

No more eta. Rokugan is not Japan, and as much as it is a feudal setting, it'd be nice to play a heroic, magical samurai without having such an extreme disparity between the player characters and the 'non-people' under them.