Star Wars Battlefront II AND Star Wars Battlefront 2004

By Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun, in X-Wing Off-Topic

Looks really good, but Battlefront looked really good and had serious flaws. I will definitely wait this one out a bit.

Can't wait for the beta to start!

Funny, I thought I bought Battlefront II back in college.

Hopefully this time around they can have someone voicing Han Solo who doesn't sound like he's drunk in the recording booth.

On 9/28/2017 at 8:19 AM, JJ48 said:

Funny, I thought I bought Battlefront II back in college.

Hopefully this time around they can have someone voicing Han Solo who doesn't sound like he's drunk in the recording booth.

I've never understood the need for voice actors for the named characters anyway in games like this. (Well the ones with lots of screen time anyway). Copy paste movie quotes = done. Is it cheesy? Yeah. But does Vader actually sound like Vader and not a 12 year old using the voice changer in a microphone? Worth it. ( funny how EA battlefront Vader sounded terrible but pandemic battlefront Vader sounded pretty close).

28 minutes ago, FlyingAnchors said:

I've never understood the need for voice actors for the named characters anyway in games like this. (Well the ones with lots of screen time anyway). Copy paste movie quotes = done. Is it cheesy? Yeah. But does Vader actually sound like Vader and not a 12 year old using the voice changer in a microphone? Worth it. ( funny how EA battlefront Vader sounded terrible but pandemic battlefront Vader sounded pretty close).

I'm sure it has something to do with acquiring the rights to the setting but not to the actual movie clips, but yeah, it sometimes gets a bit ridiculous.

"Never <hic> tell me the oddsh <burp>"

They used Morrison for Boba at least. Which means he'll likely be used for boba again in this game, as well as jango and clones.

I'm not going to preorder, but this one has my hopes up. If it isn't the sham that the first game was and lives up to all its promises, I'll buy it.

I distinctively remember passionately disliking the Beta for Battlefront 2015 with its weird spawn zones AT-STs could walk into, ridiculous AT-AT sprees and random bullet spread- gunplay. I waited more than a year to buy it just for the graphics for 20 bucks, and with all the adjustments, I had a ton of fun!

(Of course, it helped immensely that my expectations were nonexistent and my low entry price made me more accepting of the amount of Content, but I would maintain that blast was really well done actually. I still play it today and have no trouble finding games, which I did not expect given the frequent public funerals the game received.)

Thankfully, Battlefront II appears to be an entirely different affair. Even leaving aside all the talk about "triple the amount of content", what matters most is that this Content appears very well thought-out. It's also another case of a Beta that is basically a demo, too, so my experience with the Beta will probably hold a lot of sway over whether I preorder or not.

Bottom line, I think we can all agree that the trailers are quite expertly done. One can only hope that the game measures up to them.

Been doing some streaming.

I'll definitely wait until it goes on Steam sale for $20-ish, but when that happens, I will pick it up and see how it goes. I almost never pay full price for games, I'm DEFINITELY not going to do so in a case like this where I've been burnt in the past.

So I guess we'll summarize my attitude as cautious (and patient!) optimism.

Just put in 5 hrs into the Beta, thoroughly knackered now.

Graphics (of course), Starfighter Assault, the gameplay improvements, netcode, balance- this is a very pleseant surprise so far!

Don't f*ck up the story, Dice, and I'm happy to buy.

Edited by DampfGecko
9 minutes ago, DampfGecko said:

Just put in 5 hrs into the Beta, thoroughly knackered now.

Graphics (of course), Starfighter Assault, the gameplay improvements, balance, netcode, balance- this is a very pleseant surprise so far!

Don't f*ck up the story, Dice, and I'm happy to buy.

I don’t care about the story so this is very good news!

Is it just me, or do the Imperials really have a high advantage on Fondor space mission?

9 hours ago, Zeoinx said:

Is it just me, or do the Imperials really have a high advantage on Fondor space mission?

Only if there are too few Y-Wings going after objectives. They are incredibly good against those generators and clamps, but all too often people throw themselves against the TiEs.

Edit: After another few hours, this particular problem seems to get worse, strangely. People like blasting each other A LOT. Interestingly enough, I just had a game where all I did was die a lot as a Y-Wing, but the damage to the mission objectives alone made me MVP. Without a single kill.

tl;dr- Jury's still out, but the goals of the game mode seem to have to sink in yet.

Edited by DampfGecko
3 hours ago, DampfGecko said:

Only if there are too few Y-Wings going after objectives. They are incredibly good against those generators and clamps, but all too often people throw themselves against the TiEs.

Edit: After another few hours, this particular problem seems to get worse, strangely. People like blasting each other A LOT. Interestingly enough, I just had a game where all I did was die a lot as a Y-Wing, but the damage to the mission objectives alone made me MVP. Without a single kill.

tl;dr- Jury's still out, but the goals of the game mode seem to have to sink in yet.

Oh look, yet another starwars game where the x-wing and tie fighters are underrated and its just better to throw bombers out onto the field instead.......

18 minutes ago, Zeoinx said:

Oh look, yet another starwars game where the x-wing and tie fighters are underrated and its just better to throw bombers out onto the field instead.......

Okay, I admit, that one made me chuckle quite a bit. But actually, most people are flying the standard fighters, because they kick serious ***.

No, i know, but even i noticed flying a y-wing or tie bomber was way more "effecient" against....well just about everything.

On 10/7/2017 at 7:42 AM, Zeoinx said:

Now, now, let's not crap on a game where objectives matter to win, instead of just letting every single game mode degrade into Team Deathmatch.

Well I am going to point out that in earlier Battlefronts, "Objectives" to win were OPTIONAL, you could in theory destroy the enemy fighters to win instead....

Was not aware you can actually buy the crates with real money. Just when I thought EA wouldn't **** something up... they do.

42 minutes ago, Jo Jo said:

Was not aware you can actually buy the crates with real money. Just when I thought EA wouldn't **** something up... they do.

It has (sadly) been like this for ages, it is the same with Battlefield, though the progression there is not as random as it seems to be here.

EA is being EA and it is a shame because there is a good (based on Beta experiences) game underneath here...

I'm not fussed by the crates thing, really. You'd have to spunk a LOT of money into it to get a lot of meaningful gameplay advantages, and I think the players who are prepared to do that will be few and far between. It's not like it's trying to be an esports title anyway.

4 hours ago, Stay On The Leader said:

I'm not fussed by the crates thing, really. You'd have to spunk a LOT of money into it to get a lot of meaningful gameplay advantages, and I think the players who are prepared to do that will be few and far between. It's not like it's trying to be an esports title anyway.

What Angry Joe is bleating on about in the above video is hardly new behaviour for EA.

You could buy weapon/equipment packs for real money in Mass Effect 3. You could also earn them in game by paying credits earned over the course of a game. Every player earned the same amount of credits regardless of performance (the only way to earn more was to play on a higher difficult level), and the crates you purchase were RNG - certain items were common, some uncommon, some rare and some very rare. I spent over 250 hours on the ME3 multiplayer and never bought one for real money.