neutral units

By phalgast, in BattleLore

Someone still alive here around?!

Hey guys. I know this Forum is quite dead as new expansions hopes are... but lets talk about the neutral Units. I am thinking about to buy me this ones and I would appreciate your opinion!

We played with all expansions but neutral units. They seemed to overpriced and not really necessary to me. I received the Mountain Giant as a gift an I pretty like him. I'am thinkin now about buying the other neutral units also:

Mountain Giant

I think it's a pretty strong unit that matches in a lot of armies. After few games, I think over all Uthuk really profits of a legend like this: the giant isn't as superslow as the Chaos Lord and he has a lot more attack-value then the (in my opinion underwhelming) Doombringer. Daqan and Waiqar own extremly strong legends and will not need the Giant as Uthuk, but they may still want to Play him. What do u think about this unit?

Razorwings:

Flying, defens-boots against melee, able to stun enemies, strong movement. I think it's a really overall very strong unit just for all classes. What is your experience?

Giant Dragon:

The unit that i'm very unsure about. After reading the card, i feel like he is a weaker version of the Waiqar Dragon and at least Waiqar will never ever play it (I imagine he costs also 10 Points?). Daqan not sure like they have with the Roc Warrior a weaker but still strong flying legend. Uthuk otherwise will have best use of the Great Dragon, as they lack of a strong fighter with more movement then the Chaos Lord. Also here: What do u consider?

regards

Phalgast

Edited by phalgast

I think the best feature in the Neutral unit packs are the specific scenarios coming with the pack. They are all different, and show how far BattleLore could have been pushed. Even if the Razorwing scenario is not exactly balanced, it's still fun to try (and when you win that one as a Daqan, well, time for quite a victory dance). Another good thing neutrals add is the specific lore cards. In the end, none of these is strictly necessary, but all of them are definitely fun, so, if you have a chance, grab the two missing packs.

tnx! Yes the Scenarios are interesting. Also in the Mountain Giant-Scenario, in our first games Daqan had very hard to deal with... But we'll try it again.

Whats your opinion of the units themselves? How do they perform? Which ones are under- or overwhelming, or well balanced? Do you agree that Waiqar Dragon seems to be just stronger then the Great Dragon?

Razorwings are a bit too good; the Dragon's in line with the other dragons in the game (but really, it's a LONG way since I played with those, so, probably Garrett or someone else could help you better here). In any case, none of the units is underwhelming "Viper Legion" level

Hello! I was lurking this forum for a while, waiting to read some good news about the future of battlelore. Needless to say those news didn't come, but I love the game and I'm in a similar situation as you are Phalgast.
I've got all armies but no neutral unit, and I start to think it could be interesting to take them to have some more variety in army building. Probably Waiqar and Daquan don't need more options, but I think Uthuk could use them since I've the impression that they have less good units. I mean, they can make a good army as much as the others, but if you like to change it from one game to another their options are less flexible, imho.
So I'm really interested in understanding how these neutral units perform. Not only if they are god, but also if they are too good (I have a fear that razorwings could be slightly OP) : I would't like to solve one problem by making a bigger one. :P

Edited by Fingolfin80

That's the reason of this thread. We share lot of estimations:

Uthuk: We feel exactly identic. Uthuk is strong but have just some bad units, what doesn't appear by Daqan and Waiqar. They would profit most from neutral units, Overall from Giant or Dragon. Have you seen the thread with the Uthuk-Fan-Errata here? May be you can find some ideas you like to make the worst Uthuk Units playable....

I also fear that razorwings may be OP. Flying is just such a strong ability like it affects movement and defense in the same time. Together with the ability to stun (by far the strongest token in the game) they seem just a bit like "best of all together in one unit". When they were released I thought they cost 8p just like the Giant an the Dragon.

Giant is strong. The few games we played with him he seems to be worth his Price. How told before, I think Uthuk has the best use for him as both legens have big downsides (Lord: movement and Doombringer is just so much weaker then Roc Warrior for example).

Dragon like I told, I think he would also fit fine in a Uthuk army. Daqan may be. Waiqar I don't see a reason to play the Great Dragon if you have access to the Waiqar Dragon... but not easy to say without having played him-

Does someone have an Idea how to get the last Units for a fair Price? I don't think I gonna buy them for full price... (which was overpriced also when they were released imo)

3 hours ago, phalgast said:

Uthuk: We feel exactly identic. Uthuk is strong but have just some bad units, what doesn't appear by Daqan and Waiqar. They would profit most from neutral units, Overall from Giant or Dragon. Have you seen the thread with the Uthuk-Fan-Errata here? May be you can find some ideas you like to make the worst Uthuk Units playable....

I saw that thread, there are good ideas in it but I prefer to stick to the official rules for now.

3 hours ago, phalgast said:

I also fear that razorwings may be OP. Flying is just such a strong ability like it affects movement and defense in the same time. Together with the ability to stun (by far the strongest token in the game) they seem just a bit like "best of all together in one unit". When they were released I thought they cost 8p just like the Giant an the Dragon.

They are strong, that's for sure, but maybe since there's just enough material for one unit in the box (as far as I understood it) they don't embalance the game, but I leave that consideration to players that actually tried them on the field. At worst, I could put a limitation like "if you pack them you have to take one grotesque too".

No idea about where you could find them at lower price though.

7 hours ago, phalgast said:

Does someone have an Idea how to get the last Units for a fair Price? I don't think I gonna buy them for full price... (which was overpriced also when they were released imo)

Last year they were on sale during the Holidays sale on this very site. If they have a few more in stock, there's a very high chance they'll end up in this year's holidays sale as well. So, possibly it's worth waiting a few more weeks and see

I've owned the neutrals since last Christmas (picked them up during the holiday sale; wouldn't have bought them at full price), but I still haven't played with them outside of the scenarios, and the only scenario I've tried is the Dragon one (which I love!).

Unlike you, @phalgast , I think it would be fun to try putting the Great Dragon and Barrow Wyrm in the same army and see how it goes. Because the Bone Horrors are cheaper than any other unit, you could still have the same number of units on the board as other armies. Also, with your strategy for focusing on only 2 sections at once, I imagine the two dragons could do a lot of damage.

On 26.09.2017 at 9:52 AM, phalgast said:

Someone still alive here around?!

More than you would think.

Just recently I showed Battlelore to my gaming buddy (we play mainly X-Wing). He is in love with Battlelore now!
Measure of the fact if given game is dead or alive is NOT a busy release schedule but the fact that you play the game and can find people to play.
I play Batttlelore regularly so it is alive!

P.S. Only thing that saddens me is the fact that Latari Elves faction was never released - with them it seems Battlelore would be perfectly complete game.

4 hours ago, Embir82 said:

P.S. Only thing that saddens me is the fact that Latari Elves faction was never released - with them it seems Battlelore would be perfectly complete game.

I think that's a common feeling here around. I wish I could have a huge 4 players / 4 faction battle, but I'm afraid it will stay just a wish.
That said, the game is awesome and I'll keep playing it even if FFG decided to drop it officially.

Edited by Fingolfin80