The 4x1 and the 3-Turn

By Glucose98, in Runewars Tactics

This may be well known, but I wanted to point out the reach of a 4x1 tray of units doing a 3-turn. You can reach targets slightly past range 5 on a range ruler doing this maneuver. So if you can measure to it, and have a clear path, you can hit it!

Here are some space horsies to show you want I mean.

mqbcFxG.jpg?2

Edited by Glucose98

That's really impressive. Like, I knew that it would take you farther, but It's shocking when you see it laid out like this.

Minor quibble: that's a turn; the right-angle is the wheel. :)

7 hours ago, Parakitor said:

That's really impressive. Like, I knew that it would take you farther, but It's shocking when you see it laid out like this.

Minor quibble: that's a turn; the right-angle is the wheel. :)

Damnit! Thanks :)

Movement into and out of terrain collectively can also be deceptively large in scope of distance covered.

its kinda silly that this is a thing but i guess its the tradeoff for being unable to thread needles between terrain.
4x wide units pretty much cant go anywhere near terrain lol. It is ridiculously easy to clip one.

3 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

its kinda silly that this is a thing but i guess its the tradeoff for being unable to thread needles between terrain.
4x wide units pretty much cant go anywhere near terrain lol. It is ridiculously easy to clip one.

Right, that's definitely the trade off. Terrain REALLY hurts, or if you have any other unit in the way. They're really easy to intercept too with single trays etc. In the end I think this is balanced (can't say I've played enough games to guarantee that though)

i've been tempted to run 2 4x1 cavalries, but i need another box for that. I've ran one 4x1 and yeah they hit HARD (threat4 on 2R1B + TempSteel is a potential 6hits....x4 = 24 damage...granted thats absolute max damage but its quite common for them to do about half that even w/o TempSteel, which wipes 2x1's off the board in 1 swing)

I've pasted this a few times, but if I can manage to not get boned by terrain -- I want to try this one.

Faction: Daqan

Kari Wraithstalker
# of Trays: 1 ( 32 points)
- Fortuna"s Dice ( 6 points)
= 38 total unit cost

Lord Hawthorne
# of Trays: 1 ( 34 points)
- Might of Daqan ( 4 points)
= 38 total unit cost

Deepwood Archers
# of Trays: 4 ( 30 points)
- Dispatch Runner ( 7 points)
- Tempered Steel ( 3 points)
= 40 total unit cost

Oathsworn Cavalry
# of Trays: 4 ( 34 points)
- Rank Discipline ( 4 points)
= 41 total unit cost

Oathsworn Cavalry
# of Trays: 4 ( 34 points)
- Rank Discipline ( 4 points)
= 41 total unit cost

Lot of deployments only have 2 terrain pieces, i'd be more worried about having a massive footprint to deal with.
Hawthorne works on Latari units (he doesnt specify daqan) so thats 3 4x1 trays. Even without terrain thats going to be wonky to move around without ending up in a rank n file system with multiple units. Not to mention if the cavalry are attacking you probably cant shoot lol.

Course you just KNOW the moment you try this you get 4 terrain pieces...and theyre all large...

Terrain is nice for a 4x1 of archers, and especially the elves who can shift back and forth, as you can camp behind a lot of the shapes and still shoot.

Cav is another story though. In a tournament setting I'd probably bring the 4 tray piece of terrain and 3 zeros. A 4 tray piece can actually help the 4x1 maneuver a bit better at times, and you can always throw a zero in a corner

My problem piloting two 4x1s of Oathsworn has been the board edge more often than not. Hard to get those flanking charge lanes when you keep slamming into the invisible wall

How can deepwood archers ever get into a 4x1`?

Run Kari and Hawthorne

4 minutes ago, Kaiju said:

How can deepwood archers ever get into a 4x1`?

By Kari and Hawthorne's hero abilities combined, like Captain Planet with a longbow.

Edited by Contrapulator

Ouch, so latari elves are worse at running those archers in larger formations than Daqan

1 minute ago, Kaiju said:

Ouch, so latari elves are worse at running those archers in larger formations than Daqan

I wouldn't say worse, it's just different. It costs 96 points for Daqan to run a 4x1 of Derpwood Archers, and that's without upgrades. I'd rather have a 3x2 of archers with a Front Line Scion and Wind Rune

1 hour ago, Kaiju said:

except you miss out on all the latari crap you can pile into the archers to make them really scary and slippery...

3 hours ago, jek said:

except you miss out on all the latari crap you can pile into the archers to make them really scary and slippery...

Nah, when it comes to building a Latari list it goes something like this.

Ok open your boxes...1...2...3...You get a wind runes, you get a wind runes, you get a wind runes, everyone gets a wind runes.

I dont usually put much stuff, if any, on my archer units. The problem being primarily that 3x2s are not very efficient in terms of points, but about the only way to get serious damage onto heavily armored Daqan armies. Thats why I consider a 4x1 such a big asset. Of course, I dont have all that much experience playing tournament standard yet, so maybe its a nonissue at higher levels of gameplay.