L5R: Kamon (Mon) registry

By TheWanderingJewels, in Genesys

8 hours ago, Richardbuxton said:

Genesys looks to be the Star Wars system just with the serial numbers filed off. Could they simply use Genesys and release a set of Theme books? Yep probably. But it's quite possible that FFG decided that the core mechanics didn't reflect the heart and soul of L5R enough and have therefore come up with a significantly modified system. The fact we got no Genesys open Beta yet we are here for L5R tells us the changes are sizeable.

Then, FFG has lied to us when they claimed:

Genesys is a role playing system designed for flexibility and adaptability, specifically tooled to work with any setting imaginable .

:o

3 hours ago, DarthDude said:

Then, FFG has lied to us when they claimed:

:o

Claim: Genesysworks with any setting imaginable.

Just because another system works better doesn't make that claim false.

Additionally, look at all the hacks listed here looking for feedback. Why can't FFG also ask for feedback?

1 minute ago, CitizenKeen said:

Why can't FFG also ask for feedback?

Would've been nice if they'd done so with Genesys :)

Everything is speculation now, I know. I am looking forward to coming week, when the beta drops.

Nothing makes implossible to Genesys works better than some systems...

I know it's impossible to generalize, but lets take a look on D&D. It's very popular, they have right now 5 eds, and we also have Pathfinder as a second way to play D&D... cool, the system is very popular and its core is there for more than 2 decades. A lot of fans also know the system has a lot of problems and every 5 years they are trying to improve and looking for more $$$.

D&D could be a lot better with some drastic changes in the system. But D&D and D20 System are almost the same thing. And I'm sure we don't need D20 System to play epic fantasy stories with dungeons and dragons around. Well, i'm not here to talk about what I think about D20 System, but I believe that the narrative dice system can provide a huge improvment in several popular RPG systems/scenarios.

It's crazy to think that some things,like minions/rivals/nemesis the own D&D tried in the 4th edition (despite it's isn't his invention), with a miserable success (the overall system, not this single point alone). And in my opinion, just as an example, this kind of "micro system" is excelent for sword and sorcery adventures. Far better than the challenge ratings and and rigid encounters, with a crazy balance system and a poor monster creator system.

Edited by Bellyon

For those keeping track at home, the L5R beta is out and it's not Genesys.

9 hours ago, CitizenKeen said:

For those keeping track at home, the L5R beta is out and it's not Genesys.

A missed opportunity, the L5R dice pool feels a bit like a clumsy version of the Genesys/narrative dice.