Build Generator - Rebellionbuild.com

By Stanza987, in Star Wars: Rebellion

I noticed that one of the most time-consuming aspects of this game is building units so I built a web app to help streamline the process. The program saves me at least 30 minutes per game! As the program is online, it's compatible with all computers, tablets, and mobile devices. I'd appreciate any feedback on the web app, and I hope you all enjoy!!

Star Wars: Rebellion Build Generator Web App: http://www.rebellionbuild.com !

Looks very cool. Will have to try this the next game. Thanks.

This really does look like one h*** of a time saver. Looking forward to using this thanks.

Fantastic! Bookmarked this for future use. Thank you for your service to the Rebellion/Empire*

*delete as appropriate.

After some minor tweaks, the build generator has been updated with a new and improved user interface! Instead of using drop-down menus for each planet, you can simply click/tap on the desired loyalty of each planet on the home screen (double-tap if using the Safari browser on iPad/iPhone) and then click/tap the build button. Of course, the web app has the same dependable functionality, but now with a modern look and feel. Enjoy the new upgrade!

Love this build generator. I used it in a game I played over the weekend. It was a definite time saver and I will be using it again.

That being said, I'd like it if I didn't have to re-select the ownership of systems for every round. I'd like to get the list of units to construct, then go back to the list of systems and see that they are still populated with my previous choices.

Thanks for all the hard work!

6 hours ago, thestag said:

Love this build generator. I used it in a game I played over the weekend. It was a definite time saver and I will be using it again.

That being said, I'd like it if I didn't have to re-select the ownership of systems for every round. I'd like to get the list of units to construct, then go back to the list of systems and see that they are still populated with my previous choices.

Thanks for all the hard work!

Glad you're enjoying the build generator! I actually originally had this feature, and my thinking on resetting all system loyalties when returning from the build output table was to cut down on user error since there can potentially be a lot of planet loyalty changes over the course of 2 turns. I do have a 'Reset' button on the home page, however, so I guess if you wanted to, you could manually reset your choices from there anyways.

So I went ahead implemented your suggestion (changes now live). Now you can go back to the list of systems using the 'Return' button on the build output table (originally the 'Reset' button), and all of your systems should be populated with your previous choices! Thanks for the great suggestion @thestag !

6 minutes ago, Stanza987 said:

Glad you're enjoying the build generator! I actually originally had this feature, and my thinking on resetting all system loyalties when returning from the build output table was to cut down on user error since there can potentially be a lot of planet loyalty changes over the course of 2 turns. I do have a 'Reset' button on the home page, however, so I guess if you wanted to, you could manually reset your choices from there anyways.

So I went ahead implemented your suggestion (changes now live). Now you can go back to the list of systems using the 'Return' button on the build output table (originally the 'Reset' button), and all of your systems should be populated with your previous choices! Thanks for the great suggestion @thestag !

I just got a chance to test it and it's everything I was hoping it would be. Thanks for the quick response and implementation.

I completely understand what you are saying about the changes that can happen between building units (phases). However I like to live track everything. What I did in my game last weekend was to use these three sites:

For game setup: http://ventersconsulting.com/BoardgameHelpers/StarWarsRebellionGameGenerator.aspx

For probe droid tracking: http://rebellionmap.com/

and for unit building: https://www.rebellionbuild.com/

It worked pretty well (although to have all that in a single location would probably be too much to hope for :P ). I found myself building units, then resetting the page, re-adding all the system loyalties, then making updates live as the round progressed. I really like having the option now. Thanks again!

On 11/20/2017 at 3:59 PM, thestag said:

What I did in my game last weekend was to use these three sites:

For game setup: http://ventersconsulting.com/BoardgameHelpers/StarWarsRebellionGameGenerator.aspx

For probe droid tracking: http://rebellionmap.com/

and for unit building: https://www.rebellionbuild.com/

This is all pretty cool. While I'm a bit on the fence on wanting my laptop at hand, having all three of these increases the likelihood.

@Stanza987 I've been using the build generator and loving it even more since the change that doesn't reset the planet control.

Would it be possible to add a save feature as well? It's hardly a requirement. I had a situation come up where I've been playing a game with my neighbor and we play a round, then we might not get to another round for a couple of days or a week (we both have kids).

Thanks in advance!

20 hours ago, thestag said:

@Stanza987 I've been using the build generator and loving it even more since the change that doesn't reset the planet control.

Would it be possible to add a save feature as well? It's hardly a requirement. I had a situation come up where I've been playing a game with my neighbor and we play a round, then we might not get to another round for a couple of days or a week (we both have kids).

Thanks in advance!

It's definitely possible to add this feature by using cookies or localStorage. Since I'll have to do some research and self-teaching, it may take some time for me to implement this feature, but I'll see what I can do! Thanks for the suggestion!

Another behind-the-scenes update: RebellionBuild web app deployment has been upgraded to use caching technology! Most users in the United States will not notice a big difference, but web page load times should now be significantly decreased for non-US countries!

In terms of adding a Save feature, that is still in the works, so stay tuned!

What about the situation where Coruscant or Rebel base is sabotaged etc. and cannot build? The option is not there or I don't see it.

@Bron Ander Haltern

Thank you for pointing this out! I missed this scenario, and I'm even more surprised that it took someone six months to bring it up!

In terms of the Rebel Base , the rules reference states that the Rebel Base is not a system. Since Sabotage is a card that states Attempt in any system, the Rebel Base space cannot be sabotaged. More discussion about this can be found on this BoardGameGeek post . Coruscant , however, can be sabotaged.

I've implemented this change, which is now LIVE. The Rebel Base space now only has one option ( Rebel loyal ), while Coruscant can either be Imperial Loyal or Sabotaged. If the website still looks the same as before, refreshing the browser will load the new changes.

--

EDIT

Upon further review of the rules reference, on page 11, it states: The resource icons on the “Rebel Base” space can still be used while the base is revealed unless there is an Imperial unit or Imperial loyalty in the Rebel base’s system. Therefore, it looks like the Rebel Base has a scenario when it does not build for the Rebels. I've amended my original changes to include an Imperial Subjugated icon for the Rebel Base to account for this.

Edited by Stanza987
Added feature

It would be much more organized if you would change the https://www.rebellionbuild.com/ layout to be that of the starmap as in http://rebellionmap.com/

and by simply clicking we would toggle between, Rebel production, Imperial Loyalty Production, Imperial Subjugated production, No production.
After you click Build, you get number of Icons and their position on the build queue displayed, not listed all the possibilieites for the build.

That would make the feature SUPER useful.

@Runko

Thanks for the feedback. I'm also a fond user of RebellionMap.com , and in fact, that website was an inspiration for me to build RebellionBuild.com . When I was thinking of a design, I considered using a map as the interface; however, I ultimately decided on using a table for the following reasons:

1. RebellionMap and RebellionBuild are meant to compliment, not replace, one another. RebellionMap helps the Imperial player keep track of explored planets to help find the Rebel base, regardless of planet loyalty. RebellionBuild focuses on planet loyalty to calculate builds. These tools accomplish two separate goals.

2. If I used a map as the interface from RebellionBuild, the user would have two similar map interfaces with different use cases, leading to confusion. Many users use both tools simultaneously so I believe that this is a legitimate concern.

3. Ethically, I think it's wrong to copy RebellionMap. Also, there's no way I could ever make a map look that good. :-P

In regards to you second point about displaying the number of icons, and not displaying all possibilities is a great suggestion, and I may implement that in a future update.

12 hours ago, Stanza987 said:

@Runko

Thanks for the feedback. I'm also a fond user of RebellionMap.com , and in fact, that website was an inspiration for me to build RebellionBuild.com . When I was thinking of a design, I considered using a map as the interface; however, I ultimately decided on using a table for the following reasons:

1. RebellionMap and RebellionBuild are meant to compliment, not replace, one another. RebellionMap helps the Imperial player keep track of explored planets to help find the Rebel base, regardless of planet loyalty. RebellionBuild focuses on planet loyalty to calculate builds. These tools accomplish two separate goals.

2. If I used a map as the interface from RebellionBuild, the user would have two similar map interfaces with different use cases, leading to confusion. Many users use both tools simultaneously so I believe that this is a legitimate concern.

3. Ethically, I think it's wrong to copy RebellionMap. Also, there's no way I could ever make a map look that good. :-P

In regards to you second point about displaying the number of icons, and not displaying all possibilities is a great suggestion, and I may implement that in a future update.

Hello, thanks for the response

My main concern why I suggested using the map is that you have the Planets listed alphabetiacally, which is not very intuitive unless you have played the game multiple times (or are a super hardcore fan)

If you at least would organize the planet names to resemble the galaxy map that would be most welcome. I still think that copying the galaxy map and modifiyng it to be distinctly different from the probe deck tracker map (after consulting with the author for approval) is the best way to go.

On 12/2/2017 at 3:09 PM, thestag said:

Would it be possible to add a save feature as well?

The Star Wars: Rebellion Build Generator has undergone another major overhaul! I decided to rewrite the entire program from scratch to make it more performant and to incorporate some upgrades that you guys wanted to see. Changes are live now on the site: https://www.rebellionbuild.com . A list of the updates are shown below:

1. Mobile-Friendly : The website has been redesigned for a better user experience with tablets and phones. No more tables running off the screen! The improved website looks great on iPads and iPhones and now you can calculate your builds quickly and efficiently on-the-go with ease!
  2. Continue Previous Games : The website now remembers your previous choices after you close your browser! Games taking more than one session? Now, your previous game state can be reloaded at any time to continue your previous game. Of course, if you would like to start a new game, there's a button for that too! Thanks for the suggestion @thestag - sorry it took awhile for this to get done!
  3. Focused Unit Table : After calculating a build, now only the units that you need to build are show, and they are color-coded yellow for land units and blue for space units. This should make it much more streamlined to grab your units to place on the build queue.

As always, I'm open to any suggestions, comments, or feedback you have about the build generator app. I hope that this website continues to be helpful for Star Wars: Rebellion players for many years to come!

My wife and I just started a game of Rebellion yesterday (we only get to play one or two rounds at a time because of kids). The new build generator wasn't live yet, but today we got 3 rounds in and I got to use it twice.

I

Love

It!

The new interface works better on all my devices.
The new sabotage option is great because I have all the info I need on the web page now.
The new look showing what units go on each build queue is easier to read and the layout is better as well.

Lastly, the fact that the program saves my progress and I don't have to re-enter data every time. BRILLIANT!

Thanks @Stanza987 for all the hard work and sharing this with the community. Know that I will be using this every time I play Rebellion until the internet goes down.

The new layout looks awesome. Excellent work.

interesting!

Thats amazing.

Will be using it in my next game.

Thanks!