Relentless

By kraftclub, in General Discussion

I fight against a monster with 3 toughness.

Use relentless - ("When resolving a [Str] test during a Combat Encounter you may reduce the Monster's toughness by 1 to a minimum of 1 during the encounter. If you do, flip this card.").

Roll 2 successes on strength check and I defeat it.

Does "Patrolling the Streets" trigger? ("When you defeat a Monster with tough. 3 or more during a Combat Enc, you may discard this card to retreat doom by 1")

Edited by kraftclub
Full quotes

I don't think so. Technically, the monster had two toughness during the encounter, not three.

Seems to me it should trigger. The monster with 3 toughness was defeated.

Patrolling the street triggers.

Monster had 3 toughness when you encountered it. During a combat encounter, the monster's toughness went to 0 and it was dead.
Patrolling the streets: "During combat encounter" means you can't use dynamite or any action phase spells. You have to fight and kill it during encounter phase.

6 hours ago, player2439400 said:

Patrolling the street triggers.

Monster had 3 toughness when you encountered it. During a combat encounter, the monster's toughness went to 0 and it was dead.
Patrolling the streets: "During combat encounter" means you can't use dynamite or any action phase spells. You have to fight and kill it during encounter phase.

I am not sure what I think of the original question but had to comment on this. The monsters toughness did not go down to 0. Toughness was 2 during the whole encounter and when it took 2 damage it died. Terminology is often important in this game.

I am leaning to that Patrolling the street wouldn't trigger, but really want a ruling on it.

On 10/5/2017 at 0:20 PM, StLemon said:

I am leaning to that Patrolling the street wouldn't trigger, but really want a ruling on it.

I tried to ask FFG but the form is broken again. I'll try again in few days.
Edit: Answer below .

Edited by tsuma534

Tagging this one for interest as I am also very interested to know the official ruling.

My interpretation is that it would not trigger as you did not defeat a monster with 3 toughness during a combat encounter (it was in fact 2 toughness because it's toughness was reduced by 1 to a minimum of 1).

On 10/5/2017 at 0:20 PM, StLemon said:

Toughness was 2 during the whole encounter and when it took 2 damage it died. Terminology is often important in this game.

I think it was 3, until I declared I use relentless before the Strength check.

I will update the 1st post with full quoted

On 2017-10-06 at 1:58 PM, kraftclub said:

I think it was 3, until I declared I use relentless before the Strength check.

I will update the 1st post with full quoted

I'd conceid to that, but don't make me quite sure of the ruling anyway.

Official answer form Nikki Valens:

If you use Relentless, the Monster's toughness will be reduced to two. If it is defeated during that combat encounter, it will have two toughness at the time it is defeated and will not trigger Patrolling the Streets.