Spade Squadron- Fighter Campaign IC

By Rakaydos, in Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Beginner Game

As Camanis and Zh1-M leave the briefing room, the droid becomes more animated, chirping eagerly.

"Well good," Camanis says as he begins climbing the ladder into his Y-Wing, "I was worried you were going to treat this thing like a hangar queen."

Zh1-M beeps an acknowledgement and begins the preflight diagnostics as Camanis straps himself into the cockpit and checks his setup one more time. "Let's take it up easy," Camanis says over the internal comm, "save our showing off for the actual shooting." Despite his words, he can't resist waggling his nacelles as the Y-Wing hovers off the ground before smoothly following Commander Rijin out of the hangar.

http://orokos.com/roll/553477#

After Gigi gets hoisted into her astromech slot, Astrid climbs the ladder and hops into the cockpit. The astromech tweets at her. "Yeah, it's a bit different from the demo-craft we're used to, isn't it?" The Corellian fumbles around, looking for the igniter, and Gigi blurts out something in binary. "Ah, right. Found it. Thanks, Gigi." The ship's engines roar to life, and Astrid pulls up on the stick, lifting the craft from the ground.

Piloting (Planetary) with Astromech assistance : 2eP+2eA+1eB+1eD 1 success, 3 advantage

Edited by SavageBob

Jumping into the Y-Wing with a cartwheel like motion of flailing limbs, Flea's arms begin to blitz around the cockpit as pre-flight procedures begin. The engines hum into action as the ignition switch is pushed firmly into place. The atmospheric thrust engines roar loudly as Flea juices them up to ensure a safe flight routine out of the atmosphere. As a pair of arms continues pre-flight routines, the other pair lower Flea's flight goggles firmly into place over his dark eyes which are affixed on the astromech readout display.

"Yeah, Gate. You're fine. I can read you loud and clear. Listen, you know that I hate flying these things in atmo, can you give me a hand and make sure the sublight thrusters and maneuvering fins are responding?"

With that, Gate whirrs excitedly and begins performing numerous flight pattern tests to ensure Flea's piloting is steady.

"Perfect, Gate! I think we're good to go. Mag-on!"

With that, Flea pulls up on the centre stick and the Y-Wing begins its ascent into the atmosphere.

Gate - Piloting (Space) check to Copilot = 1eP+2eA+2eD : 1 success, 1 advantage

Flea - Piloting (Space) check to lift-off Y-Wing = 2eP+2eA+1eB+1eD : 1 successes, 2 advantage

Edited by Tweedledope
Flubbed Co-pilot rules

After helping to hoist W0-0K into his position Gaaraddik climbs into the cockpit of his Y-Wing and after a quick pre-flight systems check he fires up his engine and says ( This time Wook we are fighting the guys in white. ) Looking at his read out he reads the droids enthusiastic response ( Forward for a free Kashyyyk!) With that battle cry roared out in agreement as the spaceship lifted of the ground.

OOC: My results http://orokos.com/roll/m-LOTR_Nerd90

"Spade leader checking in," the commander called throguh the comms. "Numbers by who came out the gate first. Pair up, then form on me."

The second place pilot tucked neatly behind the squadron leader, and the two Ywings began climbing for the stars. "I'll handle jump calculations today, but make sure your astromechs know the way home. This should be a milk run, but if I dont make it I dont want anyone stranded. Hyperspace in 30 seconds, transmitting calculations."

"Gate, good job working those maneuvering thrusters. Looks like she's flying perfectly!"

Gate chirps in excitement for being praised as Flea's upper arms adjust the comms controls to ensure he can clearly hear Spade Leader. After he hears their marching orders, he looks out his port pane to see the order of departure.

"Looks like we've got Wulf and Camanis in spots 1 and 2. Guess that means we'll be flying tandem, Gigi! You're spot 3 and I'll be 4. Looks like Gaar gets cleanup duty!" Flea announces to the rest of the group. Adjusting comms again slightly, he broadcasts to the entire group including Spade Leader.

"Copy that, Spade Leader. This is Spade 4 reporting. Adjusting flight path to align to hyperspace jump and correlating starboard and port vectors to pair with Spade 3." With that, Flea brings his Y-Wing around to flight formation and awaits jump coordinates to send to Gate.

The sound of Astrid laughing comes over the comm. "So, Gigi's piloting this thing now?" The astromech blurts something. "Oh, fine. Spade 3 standing by. Preparing for the jump to hyperspace."

Camanis almost can't believe what he's hearing. He would have thought with four hands full of fingers the cotton swab would know how to count. Spade Leader's wingman was second in line, so he'd be Spade Two, then Wulf, Camanis, Astrid, and Flea. But Flea and Astrid had already called out as Spade Three and Spade Four, so whatever.

"Spade Six, standing by," he broadcasts, then transmits to Wulf directly, "Looks like I'm your wing, dirt farmer. Try not to get lost."

Listening to the chatter " Guess they beat me to the punch then fix" seeing the little droids agreement he switched back to squad comms, " This is Spade Five, Standing by Spade Lead". Hearing the Dug in a private comm he switched over " Your funny Six, just make sure you keep up to me otherwise first rounds are on you when we get back " he chuckled back to the Dug. Hitting a few controls on the the Y-wing he switched back to his internal comms with fix " Hey just make sure you got our base coordinates locked back in rather not be the only one who forgot them". The R2 behind him seemed to say a few explict things before his text scrolled back " No Worries Wulf I never forget where home is unlike you at that bar " Wulf could only laugh at his little R2 getting snippy and replied to his old friend " Alright alright fair enough little buddy".

The abridged squadron reached into the black, and the stars stretched into lines as they reached into hyper.

The jump was relatively short- within a few minutes the black of space returns, accompanied by the blazing expance of the nebula. Sensors read a number of drifting rocks nearby, possibly a trojan group.

Suddenly Alerts light up as a half dozen wedge shaped craft light up their engines and accellerate toward your group, no IFF active. Still some distance away, you have some chance to react....

Hyperspace is something Camanis is still getting used to, so he's thankful for the short length of the jump. He frowns as he checks his scopes after coming out of the black. Those fighters could be Heart Squadron, but it is odd that their IFF is off. Unless they meant to get right to the "maneuvers" mentioned in the mission briefing.

"Zh1-M," he says on the internal comm, "divert aux to the shields and angle them forward. No sense getting caught with our choobies out." The Dug listens intently for some indication from their squadron leader as to whether or not this is expected as Zh1-M blats acknowledgement and reinforces the forward shields. Camanis grips his controls tighter, ready to evade if the unidentified fighters start shooting.